Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-06, 11:34 PM   #1
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Unhappy I lost the fish of a lifetime!

What a perfect day of fishing I had yesterday - overcast skies, air temp. 85, southern winds 15-25 mph. just perfect. I landed a 2 lber. on the first cast with a brush hog, caught a few more quality bass on a spinnerbait, then my great day turned into a nightmare. The bite slowed to a crawl and I started to rethink my strategy. I got off the main lake and started to hit the back coves with plastic worms and lizards, nothing, and still nothing. So I went deep into the very back of a long cove and saw a perfect point with a big stump right at the tip of the point about 15-20 ft. in front of me, I thought to myself "that looks bassey" so I took out my Zoom Mag II worm in green pumpkin and pitched the most perfect cast right to the left of the stump with no splash, I gave my line a little slack to prevent the worm from drifting toward me. About 4 seconds after I engaged the spool I saw my line twitch ever so slightly but I didn't feel any kind of bite what so ever, my gut instinct told me a fish had my worm, I reeled in the slack and set the hook hard, immediately the battle was on! As soon as I felt the weight of this fish my first thought was OMG I only have 10 pound test tied on, then multiple images of fear, joy, and being the lake big bass record holder all flashed through my mind all at once. The bass immediately headed straight into deeper water so I loosened my drag a hair and let this beast run. I finally managed to bring her up close to the boat to get my first look at her and as soon as I saw this chunk my heart dropped, and as soon as she saw the boat she changed directions and made another run, so after 30 sec. I had to try to land this monster. Once I brought her back up she started going under the boat, I finally worked her to the edge of the boat and I knelled down to lip her, my hand was less than a foot away from her mouth and then SNAP! An on slot of depression hit me as my fishing line blew loosely in the wind, I stood up and gathered myself and said a few bad words that I can't repeat here. I instantly assumed the 10 pound line failed me so I reeled up the loose line and examined it, the end of the line still had my knot. This basses weight was so immense that it managed to slightly bend the eyelet of my 3/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook just enough to let my line/knot slip right through! I strongly feel that this basses weight was close to 14 pounds and I am NOT exaggerating at all, I have never fought a bass with this much strength, and never seen a bass with that much size in person. I am highly stressed and at the same time very happy that I had the chance to do battle with a bass of that stature. It was the best time I have ever had as a bass fisherman, and at the same time the worst.

Last edited by fishin_dude; 04-17-06 at 11:40 PM.
fishin_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 12:06 AM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Something similiar happened to me once. I feel bad for you. Keep plugging it'll happen again. It did for me. Getting that first big one is sure one of the best things I have ever experienced. Give her a few days she might return to that spot.

Bob
Old 04-18-06, 12:18 AM   #3
fishin_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob
Something similiar happened to me once. I feel bad for you. Keep plugging it'll happen again. It did for me. Getting that first big one is sure one of the best things I have ever experienced. Give her a few days she might return to that spot.

Bob
I have landed my share of really large bass in the 7-10 pound ranges so it's not the first big bass I've fought. It would have been my personal best, and the lake record though. It's to bad I can't fish until the weekend, she might be gone by that time, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope she's still home.
Old 04-18-06, 12:40 AM   #4
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

what are you doing using 10lb test O_o clear lake?
Old 04-18-06, 01:12 AM   #5
fishin_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez
what are you doing using 10lb test O_o clear lake?
This lake is very clear, you can literally pick and choose the bass you want to target. The 10 pound test wasn't the problem, it was the hook. I don't swith over to heaver line until the summer months due to the clearness of this particular lake, otherwise I almost always use 14 lb. test everywhere else.
Old 04-18-06, 06:02 AM   #6
dodgeguy

that stinks!!!
Old 04-18-06, 07:51 AM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wonderful, and Sad at the same time. Now you know she's in there, keep going after her.

Lizards
Old 04-18-06, 05:42 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

split the differance use 12 pound test and buy super braid hooks. i broke a 4/0 regular gammy last weekend -snagged a cat fish on a short rope-..

zooker
Old 04-20-06, 12:52 AM   #9
fishin_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
split the differance use 12 pound test and buy super braid hooks. i broke a 4/0 regular gammy last weekend -snagged a cat fish on a short rope-..

zooker
What's the difference in the super line hooks?
Old 04-20-06, 06:50 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin_dude
What's the difference in the super line hooks?
They are a heavier gauge hook. Same size shape etc just heavier.
Old 04-20-06, 08:42 AM   #11
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I can relate too, it's happened to a lot of fishermen I'm sure. I hope you hook her up again and this time, get your thumb on her. Good Luck

PS.....Dont forget the digi cam
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 11:59 AM   #12
Rodman_Rob

sorry to hear about it. Even though you didn't land her I'm sure you had a blast playing tug'o'war with your lure. Go hook her again, just make sure to land her next time.
Old 04-24-06, 04:31 PM   #13
bassnman30

Try Owner hooks. They are stronger and won't bend as much as Gamys. I was able to bend a Gamakatsu hook with my hand. Especially the red hooks. The Owners will not cut a fish's mouth open which someone would think. These are about the only hooks that Iv'e used and I've tryed alot of various hooks.
Old 04-24-06, 05:56 PM   #14
bubba bass bigfoot

wow i can also relate.. just lats year one of the last trips i hooked into a monster bass. it would not come up. it was going to beat my best of only 6 pounds. but i was using 8 lb line. the pund realy does not have any fish biiger that we know of. but man the fight was great i got it up to the boat my dad went to net it but it went back down. it looked like a 10 pounder and then trying to get him back up SNAP!!!!! the worse part is is probley is dead i was using a good sized crankbait. but it waould have been a personal best at the age of 14..... so i am limited to where i fish.. and when. my dad takes me alot when he can but yeah. man i feel for u wish u would have got in the boat.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 10:19 PM   #15
Nature Girl
BassFishin.Com Member

What a great thrill, and dissapointment at the same time! Better luck next time.
Nature Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 08:46 PM   #16
bass kicker

that stinks i hate loose big fish

and welcome to the forum nature girl
Old 04-28-06, 07:32 AM   #17
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

That sucks man. Keep pluggin.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.