Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-16-13, 10:50 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Losing Fish

Reading Crankbait's thread about losing that big bass made me think of a question I have often wondered about:

Why is it you really don't remember the big ones you landed but you always remember the ones you miss?

I've caught several big fish and have pictures of most of them but really can't give you the specifics other than the body of water and lure I used, yet on the big ones I lost I can tell you the time of day, conditions, wind, air temp, water clarity, pretty much even the tiniest detail about the whole thing.

Why is that? Maybe because of the disappointment of losing it, who knows? all I know is I sure remember those more than the ones I boated.
Old 04-16-13, 11:14 PM   #2
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Rebbasser you are so right. when i had my huck fin boat i lost one that i believe was a 12..... don't know. had rods sticking off the side line got wrapped around one gave the bass some slack trying to save the rod and she came up and threw my crank. i was literally sick to my stomach. i sat there so long another guy came up and asked me if i was ok. i was the longest most intense fight i have ever had. to this day i remember it like it was yesterday!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 02:51 PM   #3
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smile

i remember them all. it is so funny that i can remember every place i have ever caught a bass, but i can not remember to get up in the mornings.

crankbait, those bad mistakes are the ones we try to forget and not make again. but, all those great battles with big bass, won or lost, is why we keep going back and keep enjoying the great sport of fishing.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 04:54 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know Reb. I have caught 2 and lost 2 possibly that were over 10. Although when I tell the stories it does seem like the ones I lost get more ermbellishment.
Old 04-17-13, 09:23 PM   #5
keithdog

I tend to remember most of the fish I've caught, or so my wife says. But it's the big ones that elude capture we seem to remember most vividly. I can only guess that we remember adversity better than bounty.
Old 04-17-13, 09:47 PM   #6
lilmule

Ive lost a few biguns at the boat generally when they take a frog under it in 2 ft of water,but one I remember distinctly was using an 8 ft rodsmith rod,1/2 oz jig tossed in thought my gosh found a snag first cast then snag took off,15 ft of line 60 lb test,it broke the jig hook when it surfaced,was one of those with a glued on rattle at or near hook bend apparently the glue eats on it or that one on it it did.Line was good,rod was good,reel was working ok,what else can go wrong lol,was as close as I can figure double digit.
Ps secret hole number 179,and no wasnt a bubblegum pink jig,that is for me topwater only.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:03 PM   #7
bamabassman

welllllll...it has been SOOOOO LONG sincei caught a BIG bass......lol!!!!

but i DO remember and SHARE all the LITTLE ones i catch. hahahahaha!!!
Old 04-18-13, 04:08 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

I remember the caught fish a little better than the lost ones. While we're talking about memories......I can easily remember how to return to specific creek channels/drop offs/humps etc on bodies of water I haven't fished in 5/10/15 + years like Kissimmee/Eufala/Seminole but I cannot remember how to get to the shoe store I visited in uptown Charlotte 2 weeks ago.

On a similar note but not really. I tend to be priority selective. 30 years ago my first wife and I were sound asleep when she heard some critter plundering around in the carport. (where the boat was kept). I was and am a very sound sleeper and hard to rouse, so she's poking me and saying stuff like "there's a possum or a coon messing around in the carport...go run them off...I'm scared" all I heard was blah-blah-blah. In a stroke of desperation she whispers....."somebodys out there trying to steal the boat" I was up and out the door 1187 in hand faster than you could say drop shot

If you ever want to know what you're really about and what's truly important to you............track your time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.