Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 04-05-10, 03:53 PM   #1
Kpinckley14
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lake Barkely

Is there good grass on Lake Barkley?
Kpinckley14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 04:16 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes and some pads ,once past the ky line go on the back side of the islands,from there south.Be like 10 ft of pads and surrounded by ten ft of milfoil each pod will contain at least one keeper or has that capability.July .aug.sept,as stained water.
But must admit spend most of my time over here so may be some earlier.
Lil river has some grass and cattails and thats even in ky.
Alternate types are the key,does not have to be milfoil,can be pondweed,frogbit,etc.
Where most dont find it is they turn the boat around at about 2 1/2 ft of water,thats where I start at,go till the boat almost wont float then send the frog 40 yards father than the boat,many times less than 1 ft of water,its chock full of small holes deeper than the rest of it.
Ive even caught fish on a frog off nothing but a thick algae bloom.
Some times not even aquatic veggies but overhanging fescue or the like,anything green (anything) in the water,with a temp of say 50 f and up to say eighties has fish on it.
May not be keepers but they are there.
All aquatic plants have cycles thats why some years milfoil is super and others something else,but when your favorite isnt there its been replaced at least on a temporary basis with something else.Cattails are the most overlooked veggie,after that reeds and rushes.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-05-10 at 04:46 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 09:43 PM   #3
Kpinckley14
BassFishin.Com Member

Is there a lot of grass on the Tennessee side of Lake Barkley?
Old 04-05-10, 10:09 PM   #4
lilmule

Yes anywhere below the state line,below the bridge at the state park.
Behind all those islands,spotty but there in about 20 ft around balls along with cattails and reeds and some pads.mixed with a fair amount of wood, the farther south one goes like here the more one finds.
I cant give actual locations of main lake grass as those who showed me would get poed.
Ride enough as a nonboater and you get to go places and learn things if one has an open mind and respect for the other guys hole,then go out scouting and duplicate.
Much I learned fishing ABA,Steve Cochran district 32 lives in Clarksville,many T held on both lakes mostly ky this year as the nationals will be held at Paris Landing.
Old 04-07-10, 12:07 AM   #5
Kpinckley14
BassFishin.Com Member

Well lilmule, do you want to take this nonboater out so that he can learn where the grass is? Just kidding. We will just have to continue to scout. Do you ever fish Lick Creek on with Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkely?
Old 04-07-10, 12:32 AM   #6
lilmule

Not from here ,been here going on my fourth hear,half the time dont know the names of a creek arm im in.
As for going out sometime no problem,just cant give exact coordinates to things on line.
Barkley does have less actual grass but much more in the way of cattails,etc.
Both lakes from tn line on down have veggies and the farther south the more one finds
Pm me for contact info for when it does top.
Old 04-12-10, 07:04 PM   #7
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
,just cant give exact coordinates to things on line.
Scared some one is going to poach on your holes??? j/k

Kpinckley, there is some grass starting to green in the back of Neville's bay on the rock bank. You can also find grass in Bumpus mills, don't think it's green yet though.

Long and Lick creeks are pretty much in the exact same place. The mouth on the lake opens up into both of them. There is some grass beds in the back of the leftmost pocket in lick, or long, I cant ever remember the which is which.
Old 04-12-10, 08:37 PM   #8
lilmule

Nope sure arnt as its a public lake,offered to even take him out just wont post those coordinates online.
Here its Bass bay and south,starting up and green but not near topped.
As it is when one does find early grass one gets in line as one seldom finds it by just you alone others tend to find it as well.
Like any of the ledges one finds that produce others do as well so not exactly your holes,although we like to think that.
As it stands morning of the 17th in a T ,most likly be a line and i will be in it calling number 15 now,boat 15.
Sort of a joke but not funny at times,post where thats at and boat number 31,calling 31.
Any time anyone is coming here to pleasure fish be glad to show them a few spots,mark maps etc.
If your prefishing a T will discuss baits, technique but not spots or holes.
9 months out of the year I have a frog on,only jan and feb have I not caught fish on one.
Oddly I also toss a DBBB,double barrel bass buster,a secret weapon type buzzbait,with a sub surface retrieve.
Key baits here normally for others are green pumkin rubber on a slider head,or a bandit 200 to dd22.
So I generally tell the truth i caught them on an underwater buzzbait tellem where and noone believes any of it.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-12-10 at 08:49 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.