Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-03-04, 12:39 PM   #1
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randycanfish
Default another rod/reel advice thread! sorry

okay here's my deal

i currently fish with two rod/ reel combinations

i have a pleuger bait caster i 'm 99.9% sure it's 6:3:1 ration with 14 lbs test i'm probably going to change to 8lbs soon. on a 6.6 Med Heavy rod.

i also have a 7 foot medium heavy witha sheakspeare spinning reel on it that i use for pitching and throwing light tackle.

my skill level is not that good i'm capable of flipping with my baitcaster(atleast i think i can) but i can't pitch with it, which is fine cause i normally use the 7 foot spinning rod/reel to pitch.

my question what would be the next rod/reel combination you would at to your arsenal and what strategy would you use with it?
randycanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 12:53 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: another rod/reel advice thread! sorry

[quote author=pretjah link=board=news;num=1102088340;start=0#0 date=12/03/04 at 10:39:00]okay here's my deal

i currently fish with two rod/ reel combinations

i have a pleuger bait caster i 'm 99.9% sure it's 6:3:1 ration with 14 lbs test i'm probably going to change to 8lbs soon. on a 6.6 Med Heavy rod.

i also have a 7 foot medium heavy witha sheakspeare spinning reel on it that i use for pitching and throwing light tackle.

my skill level is not that good i'm capable of flipping with my baitcaster(atleast i think i can) but i can't pitch with it, which is fine cause i normally use the 7 foot spinning rod/reel to pitch.

my question what would be the next rod/reel combination you would at to your arsenal and what strategy would you use with it?[/quote]

What types of baits do you usually like to throw, cranks/spinners/flukes/etc... I would buy based on what you use, unless of course it's for some new bait you don't use much.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 12:57 PM   #3
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

i use alotof plastics tiki sticks mostly. i'm really starting to get into crank baits.

i really like top waters, buzzbaits, poppers, jerk baits etc.

i'm really trying to get well rounded. and be able to fish any "Style"
Old 12-03-04, 02:12 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pretjah link=board=news;num=1102088340;start=0#2 date=12/03/04 at 10:57:58]i use alotof plastics tiki sticks mostly. i'm really starting to get into crank baits.

i really like top waters, buzzbaits, poppers, jerk baits etc.

i'm really trying to get well rounded. and be able to fish any "Style" [/quote]

Since you already have two MH rods, I would go with a Medium for the cranks, topwater, and even spinners(sometimes I use a MH for spinners). As for length I prefer 6'6", but with this application a 7 ' is definately a concrete choice also. The plastics, I would keep using the MH rods you already have. The medium 7' should also allow you to cast a mile, which helps IMO when fishing cranks, and topwaters.

Lizards
Old 12-03-04, 03:06 PM   #5
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

what about reel selection.
Old 12-03-04, 04:05 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pretjah link=board=news;num=1102088340;start=0#4 date=12/03/04 at 13:06:18]what about reel selection.[/quote]

Depends on your preference, if it was me, and I was any good with a baitcaster(I keep practicing, but it's slow process) I would by a high speed baitcaster for retrieving buzzbaits, cranks, spinners. But it really is up to you and your wallet of course, you could by a $20 reel or a $500 reel(You'll never get me to pay $500). Pick what you like and are comfortable with.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.