Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-09-11, 08:09 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Senko fishing combo?

Okay I need a good combo for senkos i am fishing in a tourney on saturday in clear water and i will use this on boat docks. So what do you think i should get dont want to spend more then 150. Thanks
Old 08-09-11, 08:27 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Weightless T-rig or wacky rig?

BB
Old 08-09-11, 08:33 PM   #3
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Weightless T-rig or wacky rig?

BB
mainly weightless texas rigged
Old 08-09-11, 08:56 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I fish t-rigged senkos on a 7'3" MH F rod, although the exact one is over your budget. I was going to say look into the Powell Max 733C, but I guess they went up from $150 to $170 since I last looked.

Abu Garcia has a 7'3" MH in their Veritas lineup that should be good for t-rigged Senkos.

BB
Old 08-09-11, 10:16 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

what do you think for the reel something spinning not a huge fan of bait casters
Old 08-09-11, 10:24 PM   #6
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

I would check with academy line of spinning combos. I love this one! http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st..._-1?N=78002124
Old 08-10-11, 12:25 AM   #7
Bassboss

Spinning rod? Hmm.. I say get good at baitcasters. If you're going to fish tournies, being able to fish baitcasters is gonna be important skill. Never tried punching with a spinning combo, but I'm sure it sucks. lol Same thing goes for flipping and pitching.

I think I'd probably go with a vendetta speed spool combo.

170 for the whole combo, slightly over 150, but I think it'll be a pretty darn good combo for what you're use it for. I'd probably go with either a 706 or 706.
Old 08-10-11, 01:24 AM   #8
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I fish t-rigged senkos on a 7'3" MH F rod, although the exact one is over your budget. I was going to say look into the Powell Max 733C, but I guess they went up from $150 to $170 since I last looked.

Abu Garcia has a 7'3" MH in their Veritas lineup that should be good for t-rigged Senkos.

BB
I fish a 7'3" M F for Senkos, it fishes like a MH though. Mine's a custom, built on the same blank as the Lamiglas Excel XL734C. It makes an awesome Senko/Fluke rod.

Powell Max rods over 7' have always been $170. I think all the Endurance rods are $170 now.
Old 08-10-11, 01:56 AM   #9
Backwater Charlie

I use a 6' 6" Medium BC rod, a BC reel and 12lb mono. It would really be awesome if you'd learn to fish a BaitCaster, so much better for anything 1/4oz or heavier. But I understand you want to fish with a spinning reel so..

I'd say get a Pflueger President Spinning Reel with a 7' MH Abu Garcia Vendetta Spinning rod, purchase at Tackle Warehouse and get free shipping.
Old 08-10-11, 03:57 AM   #10
islandbass

Sammy,

Baitcasters are great with senkos, but spinning reels are very awesome for fishing senkos.

You can't beat the effortless vertical drop a spinning reel gives a senko that wants to sink straight down with a casting reel. I might be weird but pulling off line can be a peeve of mine.

Get a 2500 size spinning reel in at least the Sahara class, and 8# seaguar invizx.

Can't help with rod selection though but since you're facing docks I too would go with a MH power fast/extra fast action rod, with the length of your choice.
Old 08-10-11, 05:47 AM   #11
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the same rod for both Wacky and T-rigged Senko-type baits....a 6'6" MH AllStar Spinning rod. The reel is spooled with 20lb PowerPro and a 12lb co-poly leader. Skips and pitches just great.
Old 08-10-11, 08:08 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Docks are indicated, and as it's tournament related, I'm guessing you want something to SKIP baits under those docks. Skipping with a baitcaster can be done, but I haven't mastered it and with spinning gear I have no need to. Should that be the application, I use a short spinning rod 6' - 6'6" MH/f spinning rod (mine is a 6'3" MH Kistler LTA) with a "larger" spool reel (mine is a 8035 Pflueger Supreme). The line comes off the larger spool a little easier than the smaller ones. The short rod allows me to point the rod tip almost straight down at the water and make a hard "snap" cast towards the dock, keeping the bait low to the water which allows it to skip better than a bait going in high as a result of a sidearm cast. You can use longer rods, but I find it easier for me to use a short one. Anytime I want to skip a bait under trees, rock outcrop, overhanging brush, not just docks, I use this rod. I like 20# braid, no leader, as I find this more of a reaction strike than a slow presentation with the bait getting hit on the fall. The braid tends to float, so watch your line as the bait settles, if it moves - set the hook.

When fishing Senko type baits, other than in skipping presentations, I prefer a baitcaster and co-polymer line. But that's an entirely different application and spinning gear can also work well, depending more upon your preference.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.