Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-30-11, 07:37 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default too many gut hooked fish?

Hey Yall...I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, and I'm not too lazy to search for it, just too new here to have a handle on how everything (search) works. I have been catching a ton of fish this year slack lining Trick worms and am deep hooking well over half of them. Being a C&R guy this is time consuming and gut wrenching (pun intended). Hook set timing doesn't seem to make any difference. (3/0 Gammi EWG) Advice to minimize??
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 07:56 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Watch your line. Keep a tighter slack line. Just slack enough for the bait to fall straight down.

What kinda rod are you using? If it's not sensitive, you wont feel all the bites.

Use braid rather than mono or even fluoro -- it's more sensitive, so you'll feel more bites.

Set the hook sooner. If you let the fish take it forever, it'll obviously get the hook down deeper.
Old 08-30-11, 09:06 PM   #3
Tavery5

Try wacky rigging your stick baits with either a circle or octopus style hook.
Old 08-30-11, 09:39 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm assuming you're wacky rigging the baits, even though you're using an EWG hook. Like Tavery said, try a circle hook instead. I've used an Octopus hook for a while for this and while it does help some, but it's not nearly as effective as a circle hook for reducing gut hooking. Gamakatsu makes a great medium between a circle and an octopus hook; aptly named the Octopus Circle Hook. Remember, don't set the hook with these types of hooks, apply smooth steady pressure and fish will hook itself; right in the corner of the mouth the majority of the time.

I actually use the Octopus Circle hook with the barb mashed down for catfishing with my little cousins. Makes it easy for them to hook up (no hook set required) and easy removal of the hook for me.

BB
Old 08-30-11, 10:47 PM   #5
Jrob78

This is a good hook removal method. Do your very best not to gut hook fish, period. If you do, try this method. When performed quickly and correctly, it seems to work really well.

http://www.walleyesunlimitedusa.org/..._technique.pdf
Old 08-30-11, 10:52 PM   #6
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

is the lake not that pressured? i dont fish lakes that arent, and i have to let them have it for at least 5 seconds on some days to even hook them. ive only hooked one this whole year that was even close, and it wasnt all that deep. if theyre doing that, set immediately and see what happens
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 11:08 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Hey Guys Thanks for the response...good stuff...However I'm having this problem with TR rig. BTW I'm using Curado 200e7 on a Cumara 6'9 mh. 12 lb mono. Sensitivity isn't a problem though I have tried high end flouro (too brittle imo) and since the water in most of the places I prefer this tech. is very clear I don't like braids. Ironically I rarely have this problem when wacky rigging senko or finesse worms. I have had better luck with some of the twist lock type of hooks but seem to get fewer bites and lower hook up ratio. For what its worth I do 90+% of my fishing in private watershed pond/lakes that get next to zero pressure and these fish are extremely gullible but still there must be a way. On a side note I have never really believed that old saying about just cutting the line and letting the hook rust out. I gotta believe 8 or 9 out of 10 of those fish don't make it. Of course I may just have to deal with it but if I can somehow get my gut hook ratio down to arounf 20% instead of the current 60% I'' be tickled. Thanks again for the help.I think I'm going to enjoy this forum and after spending 41 years obsessed with every aspect of bass fishing I hope to be asset to some of yall as well as an information sponge. Ken
Old 08-31-11, 12:02 AM   #8
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

this has been a problem for me.. if im using a senko or anything slack line i smash the barb on the hook.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 12:15 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

Thanks oj...I too have smashed/mashed/crimped/filed/ the barbs and even though I release all the fish I catch (unless I'm involved in somekind of management project to remove huge amounts of dinks) I still want to have the satisfaction of getting them to hand, then a quick pic then release.
Old 08-31-11, 12:29 AM   #10
gonefishin3

I don't know if you guys know this or not... if you cut your line on your hook (leave. 6 or 7 inches) feed the tag end through the gills and pull on the end that's through the gills the hook turns and it will pop right out.....
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 01:21 PM   #11
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
I don't know if you guys know this or not... if you cut your line on your hook (leave. 6 or 7 inches) feed the tag end through the gills and pull on the end that's through the gills the hook turns and it will pop right out.....
yep, in the right situation i do this. depends how the hook is set
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 06:24 PM   #12
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ever try upsizing the hook?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 08:34 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey Guys Thanks for the response...good stuff...However I'm having this problem with TR rig. BTW I'm using Curado 200e7 on a Cumara 6'9 mh. 12 lb mono. Sensitivity isn't a problem though I have tried high end flouro (too brittle imo) and since the water in most of the places I prefer this tech. is very clear I don't like braids. Ironically I rarely have this problem when wacky rigging senko or finesse worms. I have had better luck with some of the twist lock type of hooks but seem to get fewer bites and lower hook up ratio. For what its worth I do 90+% of my fishing in private watershed pond/lakes that get next to zero pressure and these fish are extremely gullible but still there must be a way. On a side note I have never really believed that old saying about just cutting the line and letting the hook rust out. I gotta believe 8 or 9 out of 10 of those fish don't make it. Of course I may just have to deal with it but if I can somehow get my gut hook ratio down to arounf 20% instead of the current 60% I'' be tickled. Thanks again for the help.I think I'm going to enjoy this forum and after spending 41 years obsessed with every aspect of bass fishing I hope to be asset to some of yall as well as an information sponge. Ken
Yeah definitely don't sound like sensitivity is an issue for you. But out of curiosity what fluoro were you using? Also what knot? Allot of fluoro doesn't have the best knot strength, San Diego IMO is the best knot for Fluoro. Great impact resistance, and super strong.
Old 08-31-11, 09:21 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

Trilene 100%-&-Seaguar Invizx Some palomar some imp. clinch....
Old 08-31-11, 09:32 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use a 4/0 or 5/0 Owner Twist Lock hook on my t-rigged senko type baits. Haven't used an EWG in a long while as the Twist Locks make them last longer. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with deep hooking the fish while t-rigging. that's why I assumed you were wacky rigging.

With FC, sensitivity shouldn't be an issue. What rod are you using for this technique (brand, model, and specs please)?

Upsizing the hooks could help you, but maybe not.

It really sounds like the fish are getting too much of the bait. Are you setting the hook as soon as you feel the bites? Sometimes I think fishing with an under-powered rod can let the fish take the bait deeper; it's the same concept as slower action rods for crankbait fishing, except the result is desirable in that case.

BB
Old 09-01-11, 12:09 AM   #16
kennethdaysale

Hey BB..Curado 200e7 --Cumara 6'9 mh...def not a buggy whip.....I was a huge fan of MR Twister Keeper hooks since there intro. back in the 70's but mostly used them with a small bullet weight and rarely had this problem. Since I've been doing the weightless Trick thing I swithched to the Gammi. I really prrefer 2/0 but the 3/0 still gives me the slow natural fall rate and life-like movement these local fish clobber. I have tried 4's and 5's and it seems I get more lips and less guts but fewer bites, due to a faster/ nose down fall and an action that just doesn't fool them at the same rate as the 2's and 3's. I have tried setting the hook at the first tap and at the end of a six foot run..similar results...I'm begining to believe barbless hooks may be my only choice. Considering all the problems I could be facing I guess I should just go fishing and be thankful I'm catching fish. But I really appreciate everyones input. I think I'm going to enjoy this forum. You would not believe how many fisherman I meet with countless hours of experience that still don't have a clue?
Old 09-01-11, 12:18 AM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey BB..Curado 200e7 --Cumara 6'9 mh...def not a buggy whip.....I was a huge fan of MR Twister Keeper hooks since there intro. back in the 70's but mostly used them with a small bullet weight and rarely had this problem. Since I've been doing the weightless Trick thing I swithched to the Gammi. I really prrefer 2/0 but the 3/0 still gives me the slow natural fall rate and life-like movement these local fish clobber. I have tried 4's and 5's and it seems I get more lips and less guts but fewer bites, due to a faster/ nose down fall and an action that just doesn't fool them at the same rate as the 2's and 3's. I have tried setting the hook at the first tap and at the end of a six foot run..similar results...I'm begining to believe barbless hooks may be my only choice. Considering all the problems I could be facing I guess I should just go fishing and be thankful I'm catching fish. But I really appreciate everyones input. I think I'm going to enjoy this forum. You would not believe how many fisherman I meet with countless hours of experience that still don't have a clue?
Hhaha! I think I'm gonna like this guy! Finally someone else who likes a smaller hook for weightless plastics!

Sounds like barb less might be the way to go. Hopefully it'll improve mortality! Let us know how it works out for ya!
Old 09-01-11, 12:32 AM   #18
Jrob78

Occasionally when I'm fishing weightless Trick Worms or any other longer weightless worms, I will run the hook in a good inch or inch and a half into the worm. I TX rig the worms as usual with the line coming out the end and the hook eye buried a good inch in the worm. This allows the worm to fall horizontally. The downside to this is it tears the worm up quicker than normal. This might not be a great solution but it will allow you to use a larger hook.
Old 09-02-11, 03:06 PM   #19
Twitchfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
yep, in the right situation i do this. depends how the hook is set
Can you elaborate on this please? How is the hook aligned for this to work? Do you need remove the plastic for it to work?
Twitchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 07:21 PM   #20
Bob Smith

I guess I will go on record as using a much smaller hook on my Wacky rigs. When throwing Wacky rigged Trick worms (8") I like fishing it on the spinning rig with 20# power pro and a double uni leader in the 8 to 10 lbs Flouro (usually Seaguar Carbon Pro). I use the Size ! and Size 2, Owner Wide Gap worm hooks. To get a little more out of the cast I may add one or two 1/16 oz Clam Shot weights about 10" above the worm to minimize the affect on the worm action. This also quickens the drop just a bit on the worm without affcting the action. Usually this technique triggers a little bit more aggressive bite and minimizes sensistivity issues (like deep swallowed hooks. If you do have to cut the hook off the fish will be able to get rid of the smaller hook a little quicker. However, I have never had a deep hooked fish with this set up. Seriously, I am not exaggerating, I've never deep hooked a fish with this set up.
here is one of the bigger fish caught on this exact set up

Old 09-03-11, 01:19 PM   #21
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Three years ago I tired of deep hooked problems and started removing the barbs on my Gama 3/0 EWG hooks, with which I worm fish. I then bought a hook remover at BPS (like the one Bill Dance uses) and the problem went away. The hooks come out with no bleeding and I do not lose any more bass then before I removed the barbs. Just keep the pressure on to the boat.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:01 PM   #22
bassman28565
BassFishin.Com Member

it's easy to gut hook but if your eating them it doesn't matter, but if you are catch and release, i have some tips.

tips: if you have a bite and it is bumping it wait.
if it is running with it set the hook!
sometimes if you think it's a big big bass it's not so let him have it until he starts running.
bassman28565 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.