Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-09, 11:17 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod Handle done!! First attempt at Tiger Wrap!!

Man I couldnt be more pleased with how the Tiger wrap came out
These pictures do not do it justice!! The picture is 2D but the wrap is actually 3D...It moves like a hologram..,,Very,very cool effect!
The handle itself looks and feels great..I used the Fugi ACS double trigger reel seat (most comfortable seat I ever held)..Im waitng on some more thread to start the foregrip wrap....I hope ya'll dig it as much as I do.
The bottom pic is the result of the mess I make while building rods on my poker table,lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIGER2.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	4442   Click image for larger version

Name:	TIGER1.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	4443   Click image for larger version

Name:	FULL GRIP.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	4444   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT GRIP.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	4445   Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR GRIP.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	4446  

Click image for larger version

Name:	THE MESS.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	4447  
Old 11-12-09, 02:45 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey man, that looks awesome!

How do you do that tiger wrap thing? I've never heard of it before.

BB
Old 11-12-09, 03:09 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Hey man, that looks awesome!

How do you do that tiger wrap thing? I've never heard of it before.

BB
Dude your gonna love it! Its probably one of the easiest wraps I know of...
Theres no weaving,cross overs or anything.Just striaght wrapping across.
The way it works is using a moire effect,like a hologram..
Heres the tutorial I found on how to do it.....Theres only a few steps that must be followed,everything else is pretty fool proof.
You'll be amazed at how good it looks in person!!
The only tricky part is wrapping the thread (with very little tension) side by side.

enjoy!

http://ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=2011474

Also this site has some great tutorials on trim bands,inlying thread,fade wraps,etc....great reading to anyone interested.

http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/threadwork.htm

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 11-12-09 at 04:08 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 04:30 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Thanks Waffle. I may have to try that on my cranking rod since I gave up on the double chevron since the yellow didn't turn out good in the guides and I didn't want to spend too much effort on a butt wrap.

BB
Old 11-12-09, 04:39 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Thanks Waffle. I may have to try that on my cranking rod since I gave up on the double chevron since the yellow didn't turn out good in the guides and I didn't want to spend too much effort on a butt wrap.

BB
Ah man anytime,thats what its all about....I havent decided how I want to do the forgrip wrap yet...Im either gonna continue the tiger wrap,or try a fade wrap if I can find the the right shades of red...Im also gonna apply my decal on the for-wrap...I made a little logo in photoshop..
On that same website under ''Misc tutorials'' theres a few on making and applying decals using inkjet waterslide paper.
Im really excited to see how it all turns out!

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 11-12-09 at 05:04 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 06:59 PM   #6
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Thast awsome waffle! How much you charging these days?
Old 11-12-09, 08:33 PM   #7
islandbass

Waffle,

That looks awesome and complicated. Are you a member at Ifish. That is a local forum in my neck of the woods. Cool!
Old 11-12-09, 09:18 PM   #8
bamabassman

COOL! Love it man.
Old 11-12-09, 10:06 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Alright, you really got me interested waffle. I took the reel off my cranking stick and have my base coat of thread wrapped already. I used black and pearl white. It looks sweet by itself, but I can't wait to wrap over it. I'll be using yellow (of course. gotta match the rest of the rod and SR revo, lol). If my sister comes over tomarrow or saturday, I'll have her bring her camera and try to get some pics.

BB
Old 11-13-09, 10:42 AM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Alright, you really got me interested waffle. I took the reel off my cranking stick and have my base coat of thread wrapped already. I used black and pearl white. It looks sweet by itself, but I can't wait to wrap over it. I'll be using yellow (of course. gotta match the rest of the rod and SR revo, lol). If my sister comes over tomarrow or saturday, I'll have her bring her camera and try to get some pics.

BB

Awesome!! The black and white does look cool by itself,doesnt it?,haha.Did you already burnish it?..I just went in all different directions,It really doesnt appear you did much,you barely noticed the thread moved at all..

Heres an email I sent explaining how I did the thread finish on the underwrap..The more epoxy on the underwrap,the better the effect!!

I went bacic...Blk/white under wrap and red/blk on top...(black being the sacrifice)
So just three colors to test the waters.,,All NCP size A thread
I put the rod on the motor and while it was turning I applied the first coat of epoxy going veritcally with the wrap so it wouldnt disturb the burnishing (I didnt use CP because I didnt have it at my house...My dad borrowed it,ha!)...and I became impatient.
Once the first layer was on,I picked up globs of epoxy on my brush and just lightly ran it over the top horizionally,and spread the build ups as needed(which wasnt much at all...I did about 3 layers like that horizionally and let it turn all night on the motor and then let it cure for 48 hours.
I was skeptical if I did enough at first,but after unwrapping the sacrifice thread and watching the illusion come through...hahaha...I was all smiles!!

BB-Just make sure you let that epoxy set up before you start the top wrap.
When I was working the top layer,and got to where I needed to stop the ''sacrificial thread'' I just cut it,and masking taped it back and contiuned witht the red down.,,,Hope that all helps.
If you got any questions,please ask!

Take plenty of pictures!!

Islandbass- Im not fimilar with that forum....I only play on few,here and a local TX one...And a bunch of rod building forums now,but they move slooooow

Old 11-13-09, 11:41 AM   #11
islandbass

WJ,
Can this be done on even a stock rod without too much hassle? I would love to do something like this on my daughter's rod.
Old 11-13-09, 12:02 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
WJ,
Can this be done on even a stock rod without too much hassle? I would love to do something like this on my daughter's rod.
I dont see why not? I practice thread wrapping on some old spincast rods I had lying around when I was practicing trim rings and different threads out....This wrap adds quite a bit of thickness because its multiple coats of epoxy ,The very first pic is after I applied the final coat and you can see how thick it got next to the winding checks (the aluminum rings snugged against the grips)..It basically flushed it out.So I would try an area that hasnt been epoxy'd yet...Maybe she need a hook keeper??
So keep thickness in mind when doing this...I used NCP (no color preserver) size ''A'' gudebrod nylon thread...This way I dont have to add color preserver the keep the thread from bleeding into each other. I believe that using color preserver slighty dulls the color of thread.After it dries,the color comes back,but never quite as brilliant.
Some people say to use color preserver to ''hold'' the thread in place on the top wrap..I didnt,and that why I applied my epoxy going veritcally with thread...I had no problems.

If you decide to try it,clean the area of the rod with denatured alcohol if you can...If not,I use quick wipes of acetone..It evaporates fast,and cleans well..

Good luck!

(and exhale)
Old 11-13-09, 05:58 PM   #13
islandbass

Thanks WJ! It would definitely be a winter project if I did it. I have two rods that I converted from full to split grip that seem like possible candidates, and one of them is my daughter's rod. I never bother to cover the split area with epoxy.
Old 11-14-09, 08:15 AM   #14
Bassboss

HOLLY CRAP!!! How long have you doing this... fer, real man, that thing is SICK!!! Looks pretty JDM too! That trigger area looks a lot like the abu vendetta btw!

I can't wait to see the finished product! Is that a blank though of not?

Last edited by Bassboss; 11-14-09 at 08:21 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.