Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-10, 05:18 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Drift Socks

Anyone use these ? My alum boat blows easily , and it kills my TM battery by the end of the day. Last outing , I just let the wind blow my past my riprap bank , worked great , but way to fast... I think one of these would be well worth my money. I can think of at least 2-3 times this year I could have used one with success.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 06:16 PM   #2
cassidyta

I recently picked one up for my 17ft aluminum. It helped quite a bit. I do a lot of wind blown fishing and consider it a good purchase.
Old 10-25-10, 08:36 PM   #3
Tavery5

CMorg, we use them allot here in Kansas, the wind can be a real challenge on some of our local lakes. We use them not only to help control the drift speed, but they also do allot to keep the boat stable in bigger waves. We usally just figure which flat or point we want to drift across, move the boat upwind and set the boat at a good angle and let the sock do its job. Its always good to keep the troller down, so you can make quick adjustments as necessary so you hit the right spots.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:40 PM   #4
CMorg

Alright guys , I'm buying one. How long of a line do you let out when using one ?
Old 10-25-10, 09:52 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

CMORG, I have heard nothing but great things about drift socks for flat bottoms and light rigs man. Seen a fella that had 2 out on his little 12' flat bottom in the spring. He never used his trolling motor he told me unless he wanted to go to a different spot or across the lake. Worth a try I think buddy.
Old 10-25-10, 10:32 PM   #6
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
CMORG, i have heard notheing but great things aobut drift socks for flat bottoms and light rigs man. Seen a fella that had 2 out on his little 12' flat bottom in the spring. He never used his trolling motor he told me unless he watned to go to a different spot or across the lake. Worth a try i think buddy.
I think so too bama , I am definately getting one.
Old 10-25-10, 11:25 PM   #7
Tavery5

CMorg, they make a line that has a small buoy on it, I recommend getting one of these as I helps keep the sock filled. We never let out more that about 4-5ft, we keep it pretty tight to the boat.

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/pr...rolharnessbuoy
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 03:49 AM   #8
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The more line you deploy the slower the boat will move. A drift sock is a needed tool here in Fla. and is used extensively. Many times we have a sock fore and aft. A line bouy is a good idea. Its purpose is to keep the thing afloat in the event that it comes untied while in use. If I have the water depth, I like to deploy about 15' of line. When working in stump areas obviously deployed line is less as we have to keep the sock above the stumps.

Get the next size larger than the chart recommends.
Old 10-26-10, 09:32 AM   #9
Mac2

If you keep the line relatively short, say 6 to 8 feet, you can play some fish around the sock by letting the fish out as he makes an end run.

Also, by tying the sock at a variety of spots on the boat, you can vary your drift and speed as well. On a nearly calm day, tying it amidships lets the breeze move you along, tying at the bow keeps you at a moderate speed in high winds......mostly common sense as you use it. It's a very good investment.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 12:56 PM   #10
bassboogieman

Good price on a drift sock here: http://www.overstockbait.com/Product...AD060&CartID=2
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 12:59 PM   #11
IowaBasser

There are certainly applications where a drift sock is ideal, especially drifting over structure in open water. They also can be a bit of a hassel... My dad has one in the boat, but I don't think we've used it in the last 4 or 5 years. It's kinda like an anchor - great when you need one, but realistically how often do you use an anchor? I can't remember the last time I've used an anchor. Maybe I'm just lazy. There are times when I think about anchoring or using a drift sock, but typically I end up looking for a different pattern than messing with either a drift sock or anchor.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 01:28 PM   #12
66KingFisher

Interesting thread.....Seein how I fish from a 16ft aluminum rig, I know all too well how even a mild wind can be frustrating to deal with....I enjoy fishing while drifting, just as long as I'm not drifting at 20+mph....lol
Old 10-26-10, 02:09 PM   #13
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Interesting thread.....Seein how I fish from a 16ft aluminum rig, I know all too well how even a mild wind can be frustrating to deal with....I enjoy fishing while drifting, just as long as I'm not drifting at 20+mph....lol
Definitely!

When my dad and I took our boat to meet Bender and a friend of his up at Kent Lake in Michigan, it was really windy that day.

We fished some relatively open water. While Bender (in his bass boat) was able to keep the boat in relatively the same location, any slight error I made with the TM blew us off track, and before I could correct it, we'd be blown off where we were trying to fish.

While I'm sure some had to do with the fact that Bender has a lot more TM skill than I do, but fishing in an aluminum v-hull boat surely makes windy weather boat control a lot harder.

BB
Old 10-26-10, 04:22 PM   #14
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post

Me too , this is why I want one...
Old 10-26-10, 05:53 PM   #15
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
There are certainly applications where a drift sock is ideal, especially drifting over structure in open water. They also can be a bit of a hassel... My dad has one in the boat, but I don't think we've used it in the last 4 or 5 years. It's kinda like an anchor - great when you need one, but realistically how often do you use an anchor? I can't remember the last time I've used an anchor. Maybe I'm just lazy. There are times when I think about anchoring or using a drift sock, but typically I end up looking for a different pattern than messing with either a drift sock or anchor.

I have to say that in my area, I use the anchor almost every trip. Once I find a good point or structure, I want to stay on it. This is also because my TM is only 28ft.
Old 10-27-10, 02:58 AM   #16
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use drift socks on my small boat. It works best for me when the wind will keep me drifting along a shore line or break line. I also use an anchor quite often. I fish very slow techniques with jigs and plastics 90% of the time. I have to be able to control the boat at a very slow pace or be anchored to fish those baits effectivly.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.