Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-11, 11:40 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Wacky Worm Question

So, this past weekend was the first time I've given it a try since I purchased everything needed (For Example, the Tool and O-Rings)

Couple of Questions:

1. I switched from fishing the Senko Worm from Wacky Style to Weedless Rigged and that is when I started catching Bass. The Technique I used was, Throw it out, Let it Sink for a good 15 seconds to make sure it was on the Bottom (Was fishing around 10-12' of Water) I would then Pull up on the Rod Tip and let it Sink, Then Pull up on the Rod Tip and Let it Sink and when I would Pull up on the Rod Tip and feel weight I'd Pull Harder to set the hook. - Question... All the Bass I caught had the hook deep in their Mouth, It was like impossible for me to see or feel the strike fast enough to keep the Bass from almost Swallowing the hook every time. Do you guys got any tips for this Technique?

2. I was using a Size 1 Gamagatsu Circle Hook (basically the same hook I was using for the Wacky Rig. The thing I noticed was after one Fish it was almost impossible to hook it weedless again and have the hook and worm stay attached as they should. The Worm seemed to always slide down the Hook Shank. Should I be using different style hooks if I'm going to fish these Worms Weedless / Texas Rigged (Without Sinker of Course)

Other than that, I couldn't believe how many Bass I caught. I tripled everyone else Catches.

Thank you Bassfishin Forum for turning me onto this Technique.
Old 07-26-11, 01:04 PM   #2
DaveW731

Default Change Hooks!!

If you change from a circle hook to an offset, widegap worm hook, you may quickly solve both problems.
First, deephookset: a hard hookset with a circle hook guarentees a deeply hooked fish. The hook is designed to catch in the corner of the mouth, with no more than a gentle pull on your part to set the hook.
Second, sliding worm: a worm hook like described ( for 4" Senko, try 2/0 or 3/0. For 5", 3/0 or 4/0) will help keep the bait from sliding. I particularly like what is called an "R-bend" design. Gamakatsu is my personal favorite.
Another possibility about the deep hookset as you mentioned could be not detecting the bite For me, detection is all about sensitivity, visually and/or touch. I personally prefer the touch approach and use braid on a fast action M pole and keeping the line relatively tight. I can usually feel the tap of a fish biting and set the hook immediately. My usual partner prefers the visual approach and uses a high-vis line (yellow Stren is his favorite), lets the worm fall on a slack line and watches for the line to twitch. Consider a 4' flouro leader with either line.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 01:11 PM   #3
Mumpy

I really liked the fact of not having to set the hook to catch them. I was feeling the weight and would just basically pull back on my rod and have the Bass. Man, Just TALKING about it right now is freaking KILLING ME! I want to get back out there so bad!!!!

Anyway, with those Gamakatsu hooks in the R-Bend Design do I have to "Set" the hook to catch the bass or will simply pulling back catch them as well?

I JUST ordered 2 more packages of the 5" Senkos, I can't wait to get back out there, man oh man oh MAN!
Old 07-26-11, 02:39 PM   #4
DaveW731

Default Set the hook with a worm hook

Mumpy: Guess I didn't read your post carefully enough about hookset. Sounds like the issue may be earlier strike detection. Yes, you do set the hook with the offset worm hooks and if the fish has swallowed the worm, you will still end up with a deeply hooked fish. Get a package of 4/0 extra wide gap hooks (that is what I use with 5" Senkos), see if you can start noticing the line twitch or feeling a tap, set the hook when you do and see what happens. My guess is you are getting bit earlier on the fall than you think you are, so be alert for anything that looks or feels different as soon as the worm hits the water.
Regardless, good luck and enjoy!!!
Old 07-27-11, 12:48 AM   #5
oglejust

i have been having problems with the deep hook with senkos. i had a thread about it recently. basically ive just been smashing the barb, not completely but just a little so its not so hard to get out of the stomach of the bass. if i was n a tournament i wouldnt do this but since im catching and releasing i have no problem smashing the barb.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 01:28 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

So let me get this straight... you're fishing them with the lift, drop, lift, drop method with the senko Texas rigged like this?

Only you're using a circle hook rather then an EWG to rig it weedless like that?

If I under stand right... then that's a great idea! lol.

Are you watching you're line when you're fishing using em? As you probably know they almost always hit it on the fall. To me it sounds like they're hitting it just before it hit bottom, about a foot up. I'd watch you're line like a hawk, lift the rod, start counting. If it hit the bottom (line stops moving) after 5 seconds, and then, and then on the next lift, the line stops moving after 3 seconds. Then you might have fish on the other end... reel down feel for pressure and use a SNAP set, with just a little bit of slack your line. Also try fishing them on braid. Less stretch = better feel = more sensitivity... if all else fails, you may even consider getting a more sensitive rod. I also really like fishing senkos on these hooks..
Old 07-27-11, 02:41 PM   #7
Mumpy

Hmm, not sure if you were being Sarcastic or not, anyway, yes that’s how I was fishing them, only because I had them Wacky rigged and instead of retying a worm hook onto my line on a Technique I wasn’t sure I was going to stick with, I decided I would keep the Circle hook on there. Then I started catching the ever living CRAP Out of them and thought why switch to a different hook when THIS ONE is doing a great job, minus a couple of Technical Difficulties.

I did all of the Counting thing, I was fishing about 12’ of Water so I’d count down to 15 to make sure I was on the bottom and then I’d lift my Rod tip up and thinking I was raising the Senko about 5’ I would start counting to 5 before raising again and I was watching my line, I guess just not well enough.

With all of this said, I ordered a couple more packs of June Bug Senkos and a Package of the Gamagaktsu R-Bend 3/0 Hooks. I just need to get better at detecting the strike I think.
Old 07-27-11, 09:54 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
Hmm, not sure if you were being Sarcastic or not, anyway, yes that’s how I was fishing them, only because I had them Wacky rigged and instead of retying a worm hook onto my line on a Technique I wasn’t sure I was going to stick with, I decided I would keep the Circle hook on there. Then I started catching the ever living CRAP Out of them and thought why switch to a different hook when THIS ONE is doing a great job, minus a couple of Technical Difficulties.

I did all of the Counting thing, I was fishing about 12’ of Water so I’d count down to 15 to make sure I was on the bottom and then I’d lift my Rod tip up and thinking I was raising the Senko about 5’ I would start counting to 5 before raising again and I was watching my line, I guess just not well enough.

With all of this said, I ordered a couple more packs of June Bug Senkos and a Package of the Gamagaktsu R-Bend 3/0 Hooks. I just need to get better at detecting the strike I think.
haha, no I wasn't being sarcastic, but I can see how one could think I was.

Gut hooked a fish today a senko too, took as cast by some trees along the bank I was fish and couldn't really see my line, never felt the fish hit. That's just senko fishing allot of the times though, they can really be sneaky.
Old 07-27-11, 11:00 PM   #9
boloson

not big on t-rigs but love to wacky rig. i use them gammy octopus hooks with the weed guards in 3/0. sorry if this was covered. i didnt read all of the responses cuz i'm tired
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 01:18 AM   #10
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Great choice on
hooks,gamakatsu that is not the problem
I always get good hook sets with those myself.
You can use EWG or Circle hooks for wacky rigging so try both.
For texas rigged worms/senkos use EWG hooks you will get better hook ups for that set up.

Mumpy so essentially you went to texas rigging rather than wacky worming as you said to make it weedless and to not have to retie.
You can make wacky worming weedless quite easily actually simply after you hook the senko rip apart a small part of another senko and put it on top of the hook and if you have to add another piece until the hook is almost weedless.

For both t-rig worms and wacky worming I agree with the others try some braided line and also get some fluorocarbon leader it works very well for me with both.
Also what kind of fishing rod are you using?

Last edited by thekevster; 07-28-11 at 01:33 AM.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 06:30 AM   #11
Mumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
Mumpy so essentially you went to texas rigging rather than wacky worming as you said to make it weedless and to not have to retie.
Kev, No I didn't rig the Senko Texas style to get weedless out of it, I went Texas style because I liked how the Senko darted upwards and would float flat downward sometimes or dart to one side on other times on the Fall. Weedless was a benefit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
You can make wacky worming weedless quite easily actually simply after you hook the senko rip apart a small part of another senko and put it on top of the hook and if you have to add another piece until the hook is almost weedless.
This is a Good Tip for making a Wacky Style Rig Weedless, I'll have to try that some time. Thank you

While we're on the subject. Has any of you tried rigging a Senko Texas Rig on the Tail end of the Senko instead of the Thick "Other" end?
Old 07-28-11, 10:51 AM   #12
DaveW731

Default Great minds think alike

Quote:
Kev, No I didn't rig the Senko Texas style to get weedless out of it, I went Texas style because I liked how the Senko darted upwards and would float flat downward sometimes or dart to one side on other times on the Fall. Weedless was a benefit though.

This is a Good Tip for making a Wacky Style Rig Weedless, I'll have to try that some time. Thank you

While we're on the subject. Has any of you tried rigging a Senko Texas Rig on the Tail end of the Senko instead of the Thick "Other" end?
Yes I have rigged Senko's that way. Good for one fish per Senko, given how easily they tear and how thin the plastic is at that point. Still, it extends the life of the Senko: I start with either wacky or t-rig, then when it gets torn up, switch to the other style, then when THAT gets torn up, tail hook it. I sometimes start with the tail hook approach with the stiffer versions, such as Yum Dingers and Gander Mountain's version. Seems to give them more action.
Another weedless idea for wacky rigging: Gamakatsu makes a weedless Circle hook, which is just about all I use for wacky rigging and it works great.
Old 07-28-11, 10:57 AM   #13
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love the weedless wacky hooks from Northland and use them for both 5" and 7" senkos. They also have a "weighted" series of the weedless wacky hooks, but I almost always use the non-weighted ones.

See this link if you are interested.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 01:02 PM   #14
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
Yes I have rigged Senko's that way. Good for one fish per Senko, given how easily they tear and how thin the plastic is at that point. Still, it extends the life of the Senko: I start with either wacky or t-rig, then when it gets torn up, switch to the other style, then when THAT gets torn up, tail hook it. I sometimes start with the tail hook approach with the stiffer versions, such as Yum Dingers and Gander Mountain's version. Seems to give them more action.
Another weedless idea for wacky rigging: Gamakatsu makes a weedless Circle hook, which is just about all I use for wacky rigging and it works great.
You can try but no matter what you do though in the end the damn senko gets ripped apart lol.
I will have to try those hooks.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 01:25 PM   #15
Mumpy

Man, the Sad thing is I'm down to two freaking 5" June Bug Senko's and the new ones I ordered won't be here till Monday!!!!!

My fishing partner better not even come close to looking at one of those Senko's to throw, I'll flip out like it was my last beer in the cooler! I figure with two June Bug Senko's I'm probably good for about 6 Bass. Crossing Fingers!
Old 07-28-11, 01:40 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Man, the Sad thing is I'm down to two freaking 5" June Bug Senko's and the new ones I ordered won't be here till Monday!!!!!

My fishing partner better not even come close to looking at one of those Senko's to throw, I'll flip out like it was my last beer in the cooler! I figure with two June Bug Senko's I'm probably good for about 6 Bass. Crossing Fingers!
Have you tried using o-ring wackying rigging them? You'll catch 5 or so bass a senko with em that way. Also I find with spring lock hooks you'll get a fish or 2 more outa the baits as well. Hope all goes well for ya, haha.

Quote:

YES! I learned that from a member Zooker here who's since passed on. But it still works well. If they're really on a color, and ya only got a few left, that can really save the day! It gives them a slightly different fall as well.
Old 07-28-11, 05:14 PM   #17
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Man, the Sad thing is I'm down to two freaking 5" June Bug Senko's and the new ones I ordered won't be here till Monday!!!!
Too bad there isn't a Cabela's within 5 minutes of your house like there is for me! No ordering, no waiting...
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 11:21 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

T-rigging a weightless Senko (or YUM Dinger) is one of my favorite techniques. I usually use the technique you mentioned of letting it fall, lifting the rod tip and letting it fall again. I've also had good success using a Swim Senko.

I use a 4/0 EWG or a 5/0 Owner Twist Lock. I like the twist locks because they don't tear up the bait as much as a regular EWG. I've had real Senkos get to the point were I couldn't bury the hook point in the worm because it was worn out and the nose of the bait was still fine.

BB
Old 07-29-11, 07:23 AM   #19
Mumpy

I may stop by Dicks tonight and get some of those Twist Lock Hooks.

Thanks everyone for the comments, it's really helped!
Old 07-29-11, 08:29 AM   #20
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mumpy, were you using an actual circle hook? The reason I ask is that a true circle hook has a bent over barb that should prevent gut hooking, Many people use a wide gap finesse hook that looks like a circle, but doesn't have the bent tip. The WGF hook is the most commomnly used hook for wacky rigging. It's also the style thats available with a flip over weed guard. The Circle hook is actually a great hook for using as you were set up. Many anglers have found that you can nose hook a small bait, or even a larger bait, with true circle hooks and get a lot more action out of the bait plus they get the benefit of not gut hooking bass.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp circle hook.bmp (18.8 KB, 542 views)
File Type: bmp wide gap hook.bmp (18.8 KB, 523 views)
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 09:14 AM   #21
Mumpy

@ Pro Reel - Yea, you're correct, it wasn't the Circle Hook it was the Wide Gap. This is the one I was using.
Old 07-29-11, 09:21 AM   #22
pro reel

that hook will gut hook bass very easy if you don't feel the bite right away. Get some circle hooks and nose hook your senko, it will have a lot of action and you can just put tension on the rod to hook the bass in the mouth.
Old 07-29-11, 10:13 AM   #23
Mumpy

And THAT Right there is why this board is the best out there.

Thank you, I'll be going at lunch time to get some Circle Hooks.

Gonna put it to em in the morning!
Old 07-29-11, 12:38 PM   #24
Mumpy

@Pro Reel - Ok, Stopped by Dicks Sporting Goods at Lunchtime and picked up a Package of the Octopus Circle Hooks in 1/0 Size.

So I just nose hook em tomorrow and fish it the way I was and don't worry about Gut Hooking!

The remaining of today is going to take FOREVER!
Old 07-29-11, 03:03 PM   #25
pro reel

yes, as long as you are not tossing it in thick weeds, simply nose hook your bait and let it have completly free action. When you feel the bite, don't rear back to set the hook, just gently sweep the rod and start reeling. A freind of mine on another site uses circle hooks exclusivly with all plastic baits. He uses them to flip, or C rig. He says his hook up ratio has tripled. I have just been switching to them some, a little at a time. I know they work, but i still have box's full of standard wide gaps.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.