Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-02-11, 10:58 AM   #1
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Am I the only one who only catches small fish on buzzbaits?

I've caught my fair share of fish on buzzbaits, but almost ALL of them fall around the 11 to 13" mark. Am I the only one that only catches "dinks" on buzzbaits? I'm not complaining though, I'm happy with any fish Seems kinda opposite for spinnerbaits, I don't remember catching a fish under 14" with them..

Btw, how's the fishing for everyone? Just caught a nice lil' 14-incher off a wacky rigged Yum Dinger w/ a chartreuse tail this morning. a skinny 'en, 1lbe'r maybe 1.25.
Old 08-02-11, 12:53 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I can usually count on one of the largest bass of the year to fall for a buzzbait. You will however catch all sizes on them.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 02:50 PM   #3
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You'll find that there a lot of half-truths in fishing. "You catch big bass on buzzbaits." is one of them. Yes they do catch big fish but they catch small ones too.
Old 08-02-11, 05:57 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just started catching bass on buzzbaits this year and so far they have all ran about 14-15 inches. I just keep tossing them thinking, "one of these days".
Old 08-02-11, 06:18 PM   #5
bassinbob

Best I ever caught on a buzzer was around 4lbs. Most are under 3 though. Although a few weeks ago when I was on vacation I caught some 2 and 3's that fought like they were on steroids. That was fun.
Went out sunday to a new lake and caught one. Was on the lake before sunrise and tried all kind of topwater baits. The one I caught was about 40 yrds. away from the swimming area. That was with people swimming and tons of Kayaks and paddle boats all around.
Old 08-02-11, 08:44 PM   #6
Marty

I'll add my voice to the others who said that big fish will hit buzzbaits. You probably weren't around bigger fish that were willing to hit on top, because they don't shy away from buzzbaits.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 05:32 PM   #7
Skinny10
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught a 19" largemouth the other night and my brother caught a 19" smallie yesterday on a buzzbait. Never used them before this summer and have caught fish of all sizes.
Skinny10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 05:55 PM   #8
islandbass

At least you've done that. I have never caught a bass or any fish for that matter on a buzzbait, so you're doing much better than me.
Old 08-04-11, 06:43 PM   #9
Fish30114

I usually have the opposite result. I have caught a lot of bigger bass on buzzbaits, and last night would be typical of a session where I threw a buzzbait along with lots of other styles mixed in. I probably caught 8 or 9 on a buzzbait, and witha 4lber being the biggest of the night, it came on the buzzbait, along with several in the 2 lb zone (3 or 4) those being the biggest fish other than the 4 lber. I alos caught 4 or 5 other fish on the buzz, and they were 1 1/2 or so, no real dinks with the buzz.
Comparatively, I caught about 6 on a craw and/or senko shaky head style, and 4 were 10"-12" dinks, one about a lb, and one that was baitfish size!
Caught 5 on the 3" storm swimbaits in baby bass color, and all of those were 1lb or under....probably varies a lot with any given lake, but I catch more bigger fish comparatively with the buzz bait on this lake for sure!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 10:45 AM   #10
Old Hooker

All the fish I have caught on a buzzbait this year have been smaller (so far). That being said, my biggest Largemouth ever came off a 3/8 oz white buzzer about a half hour after dark. He weighed a respectable 7.5 lbs. Keep chucking one and sooner or later a biggun will see it.
Old 08-05-11, 04:29 PM   #11
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
At least you've done that. I have never caught a bass or any fish for that matter on a buzzbait, so you're doing much better than me.
This reflects my experience as well. Of course, to catch larger bass (or any other species), one has to be fishing in a body of water that actually contains larger fish (duh!). The smaller farm ponds where I fish most frequently just don't produce really large bass...for me or other fishermen either.
Old 08-06-11, 12:20 AM   #12
bamabassman

now i gave ya'll a chance to set this feller straight and ya'll didn't.........so i'll do it myself, lol.

oyu asked if oyu were the only one catching small ones on buzzes..........welllllll........NO! hahahaha, i am the DINK MASTER my friend. i catch small ones no matter WHAT i throw, hahahahaha!!!

for real man, it happens, but do like the others have said. but just relax, the bigguns will hit it sooner or later.
Old 08-06-11, 03:41 AM   #13
bluebasser86

Buzzbaits are great baits that catch fish big and small. Most bass I catch on buzzbaits tend to be larger than average size fish. I've won at least one tournament with a buzzbait this summer and had a 20+ pound limit of fish on a buzzbait this spring, that's them in the picture below (all fish were released after picture). I never had much luck catching bigger fish on a buzzbait until I switched to the bait I'm using now and there is just something about it that catches bigger fish.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 09:09 AM   #14
bamabassman

now THAT'S a stringer of sows!!!
Old 08-06-11, 10:02 AM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I never had much luck catching bigger fish on a buzzbait until I switched to the bait I'm using now and there is just something about it that catches bigger fish.
I'm calling FOUL!!! What is the bait???
Old 08-06-11, 10:44 AM   #16
Bassboss

Don't think I've ever caught a dink on a buzzbait. Yes some "small" fish, but not dinks! I really just started fishing buzzbaits alot this year, I've definitely got some good results, caught 2 around 5 and bunch of 3's, and 2's.
Old 08-07-11, 03:13 AM   #17
bluebasser86

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm calling FOUL!!! What is the bait???
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Cavit...cpage-CAV.html
^This, 3/8oz black on black. I have had more success with this buzzbait than any other I've ever used and I've fished lots of buzzbaits. A couple warnings; 1. I have never had one run straight but that's how I prefer my buzzbaits because it helps me steer them. 2. The blowups I've had on this bait are heartstopping so be ready!
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.