Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-06-06, 04:47 PM   #1
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Skunked By New Son-in-law

Last year my newly acquired son-in-law wanted me to teach him how to
use a bait casting reel. Newly weds don't have any money, so I bought
him(Michael) a combo from Wally World and taught him how to cast in the front yard. The next day we drove 40 miles to Toledo Bend Lake and fished. Results: Dannie, 0 hits, 0 bites, 0 bass, 0 everything.
Michael, (rookie son-in-law, rookie husband, rookie fireman and rookie
bass fisherman) 5 bass. Can you believe that! I told him it was a long walk back home!! Really I was glad to see him do good. I now have a fishing partner for life. Just wanted to share this story with ya'll.

Dannie
Dannie Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 05:02 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

that sounds great! you should definitly keep taking him and hopefully, in about 6 or 7 years,you will have a grandson to take and teach about fishing!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 05:04 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

Great story!!! I guess you did a good job of teaching him how to you the baitcaster.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 05:20 PM   #4
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks. By the way I now have a new grandson(one month old).
Michael and I tried to take him fishing but the women wouldn't let us.
It won't be long before he goes with us. I had my son fishing and catching
when he was still in diapers
Old 04-06-06, 05:23 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Dannie, my kid is nineteen months old. I am thinking of taking him fishing this summer. My plan is to find a small sunfish pond, let him catch a few to spark his interest, and then leave. That way, he will look forward to getting out fishing again.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 05:32 PM   #6
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

If a kid is going to get hooked on something, it might as well be fishin!!

Dannie
Old 04-06-06, 06:15 PM   #7
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

ya good job you guys i remember the frist time or one of the frist i went oanfishing just haveing a small rod with i lind tided to the tip of it and so much fun when your little , miss them days
Old 04-06-06, 06:27 PM   #8
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The best thing about fishing is teaching someone else how to fish and then seeing their face light up when they do well. Good job.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 07:51 PM   #9
bass kicker

my little sister went fishing up north and forgot her rod so she had to use a window scraper with line on it
Old 04-06-06, 08:59 PM   #10
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

No DZ you caught 5, through him. Because of you he caught them, and that's the true satidfaction you should have. Next time when you catch all the fish, and he doesn't, then you need to teach him more stuff LOL.

Lizards
Old 04-07-06, 12:22 AM   #11
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Right Liz, Dannie just think of it as catching fish through osmosis.
Old 04-07-06, 05:27 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannie Zimmerman
Last year my newly acquired son-in-law wanted me to teach him how to
use a bait casting reel. Newly weds don't have any money, so I bought
him(Michael) a combo from Wally World and taught him how to cast in the front yard. The next day we drove 40 miles to Toledo Bend Lake and fished. Results: Dannie, 0 hits, 0 bites, 0 bass, 0 everything.
Michael, (rookie son-in-law, rookie husband, rookie fireman and rookie
bass fisherman) 5 bass. Can you believe that! I told him it was a long walk back home!! Really I was glad to see him do good. I now have a fishing partner for life. Just wanted to share this story with ya'll.

Dannie
FANTASTIC!! Glad you got someone else hooked om fishing and not some other crap and really liked the fact that you tried to take the grandson. LOL Brings back memorys. Dont feel bad bout geting zeroed my 11 year old son did it to me 2 weeks ago and on a bait that I dont care for (Berkley Gulp). Think of it as you are a damn good teacher and your pupil is a excellant learner.
Old 04-07-06, 10:34 AM   #13
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

being a fishing student myself....i have to say that it's such a thrill when i catch a fish...giving all the credit to my teacher is something i do whole heartedly....without his knowledge i would not be as good as i am now.....i am definately one of my teachers great accomplishments...he took me from one dimensional fishing to just being a down right "great" angler....cuddos to the teachers of this excellent sport....my grandson is 3 and i took him out and he caught a 2 pound catfish on his first time...and get this it was on one of those kid rigs.."batman pole"...lol.....i hope i have a future bassmaster classic fisherman in the making here....keep it up you guys...."hooked on fishing" is the best addiction to give someone....
Old 04-08-06, 03:08 AM   #14
islandbass

DF,

Great report! Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience when I took my brothers fishing for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
Dannie, my kid is nineteen months old. I am thinking of taking him fishing this summer. My plan is to find a small sunfish pond, let him catch a few to spark his interest, and then leave. That way, he will look forward to getting out fishing again.
I have a 19 mo old child myself and a little girl. I believe you can never start too soon. Here is a pic of my little girl holding a rig that used to be mine. She is only 6 but I taught her how to toss a baitcaster. It is amazing how quickly and easily young kids can learn new things, unlike an old dog like me.

IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
“Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too.” Now all I can say to that is this; “That’s my little girl!”
Old 04-08-06, 05:48 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass
DF,

Great report! Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience when I took my brothers fishing for the first time.

I have a 19 mo old child myself and a little girl. I believe you can never start too soon. Here is a pic of my little girl holding a rig that used to be mine. She is only 6 but I taught her how to toss a baitcaster. It is amazing how quickly and easily young kids can learn new things, unlike an old dog like me.

IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
“Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too.” Now all I can say to that is this; “That’s my little girl!”
Most likley that day and that comment will stay in that future bass fishin gals mind forever. Pics and times like that are PRICELESS bar none.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.