Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-16-11, 04:00 PM   #76
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Right now, I am looking at May 3-6 or May 10-13.

The bass should be post-spawn HONGRY.

Regardless of date, I'm thinking Horse Creek Resort. It's a lot closer to town than Star Point was, in case someone needs supplies, or God forbid, a doctor.
http://www.horsecreek-resort.com/

They're a little more expensive than Wheeler State Park was, but still not bad. I'll need to get an idea of who's coming (and for how many days) before I sign us up for anything.

Word of warning...my experience on Dale is that only Verizon phones are going to be any good at all (hence the doctor comment), and even they are hit and miss. If you want to get away from your life and phone calls, it is the place.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 10-16-11 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Deleted May 17-20.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 05:18 PM   #77
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Second week of May looks better for me, but I'll attempt to make either. That will be right on the heels of my Potomac trip which is usually the end of April.

I have Verizon cell, so I'm good there, too. So I figure to be there, will have to chat up Doc - y'know he likes to think I actually WANT him to tag along. Now all I need is a chart - I have the chip, but I like paper also. I'm not looking to get away from my life, and as for the phone calls - YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER.

As with Wheeler, if I'm going to drive nearly 800 miles it will be for a week, not a few days. So figure me and probably Doc for the Week - Sunday to Sunday. The cabins look good and can accomodate several guys. As it gets closer, anyone else planning on going for a week let me know if you want to share one of the larger cabins. ONLY negative I see is this place is at the far western end of the lake - it looks like a 10 mile run to mid-lake and more to the eastern part of the lake. Means burning some gas - but that really doesn't bother me too much, but it may some others, or be an issue to those with smaller boat/motor for the time involved in motoring around the lake.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-16-11 at 05:34 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 05:25 PM   #78
nofearengineer

Bruce, I have one of Navionics Hi-def maps of Dale Hollow I can send you. Hell, I wouldn't feel bad about it at all the way they screwed me by not including the lakes I fish.
Old 10-16-11, 05:32 PM   #79
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The 30th-4th is finals week for me, so another vote for 10-13th.

BB
Old 10-16-11, 05:42 PM   #80
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
ONLY negative I see is this place is at the far western end of the lake - it looks like a 10 mile run to mid-lake and more to the eastern part of the lake. Means burning some gas - but that really doesn't bother me too much, but it may some others, or be an issue to those with smaller boat/motor for the time involved in motoring around the lake.
You're right, but Dale is like that. The other good place to stay is at the far Eastern end. Either way, it's $30 in gas to visit the other end for the day. BTW, gas at either marina will be $1.00-$1.25 over normal prices, so factor that into your budget.

IMHO, the best fishing will be on the Western end. There are plenty of creek arms if you want to fish shallow(er) waters. Besides, all of the trout are near the dam. Hopefully, we can dine like kings on some big Rainbows. A livewell full of tasty trout sure makes letting 6 pound Smallies go a lot easier to swallow.
Old 10-16-11, 07:40 PM   #81
nofearengineer

I think we will go ahead and schedule it for May 10-13, unless something drastic comes up.

So far, our attendance list looks like:

Likely attendees are in italics. I have included those who have expressed serious interest (or those who better damn make it this year..cough Garey...cough ). If you want to confirm, or be taken off, just let me know.

I've already made some inquiries about cabins...but no answers yet, and obviously it will depend on numbers.

Sat, May 5:

Bryce (NFE)

Sun, May 6:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Mon, May 7:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Tues, May 8:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Wed, May 9:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Don (Nobass)
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Thurs, May 10:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Anthony (BB144)
Jeff (Kingfish)
John (Bama)
Lisa (MsBama)
Don (Nobass)
Mark (Woody)
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Fri, May 11:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Anthony (BB144)
Jeff (Kingfish)
John (Bama)
Lisa (MsBama)
Don (Nobass)
Mark (Woody)
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Sat, May 12:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Anthony (BB144)
Jeff (Kingfish)
John (Bama)
Lisa (MsBama)
Don (Nobass)
Mark (Woody)
Daniel (Sippiboy)

Sun, May 13:
Bryce (NFE)
Bruce (Boogie)
Docirv
Anthony (BB144)
Jeff (Kingfish)
John (Bama)
Lisa (MsBama)
Don (Nobass)
Mark (Woody)
Daniel (Sippiboy)

I'd love for all of the gang to make it...Keith, Woodrow, Kory & Brit, Jack, Denny, Billy, Daniel, Joe, Taniqua (oops, I meant Tyler), even our Kansas and Wisconsin contingents, though I know it's a long haul for them.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 10-17-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-16-11, 08:02 PM   #82
woody

Hey Bryce, go ahead and count me in for that Thursday through Sunday.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 08:50 PM   #83
bamabassman

AAAALLLLLRIGHT BRYCEIEEE BUDDY!!!! looks wonderful man.

and to have the WOODSTER there once agian is wonderful!!!

and did i read correctly? RAINBOWS? mmmmmm, now i gotta bring my flyrods to this one.

one more thing........KEVIN!! YOU COMING TO THIS ONE?!?!
Old 10-16-11, 08:59 PM   #84
nofearengineer

John...I don't want to disappoint you, but you won't be flyfishing for these rainbows...They hang out in the deep water. I guess you'll just have to console yourself with hooking into some monster smallies.
Old 10-16-11, 09:23 PM   #85
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
John...I don't want to disappoint you, but you won't be flyfishing for these rainbows...They hang out in the deep water. I guess you'll just have to console yourself watching Lisa hooking into some monster smallies.
Fixed it for ya.

BB
Old 10-16-11, 10:21 PM   #86
nobass

i am in was thinking wed trhur sun. right now but willing to go with flow
Old 10-16-11, 10:50 PM   #87
bassboogieman

Quote:
BTW, gas at either marina will be $1.00-$1.25 over normal prices, so factor that into your budget.
Pal, if I need 50 gallons of gas - I'll put the boat back on the trailer and find a land station, even if it means an additional ramp fee. Either that or I'm bringing a bunch of gas cans, that may be the ticket. If I take 4 cans and put 20 gallons in every couple days that should be easy enough.

Dang NFE, you changed the avitar AGAIN, but I'd almost forgotten what an fugly bugger you are. You do need to lean on Keith(bass) and have him buddy up with you for the week. You guys are in the same state, and hooking up would work well for both of you. C'mon Keith, plenty of time to make the arrangements.................

Nice job Anthony, you are SO HELPFUL.

Back to Bryce - I looked at the website for Horse Creek and did not see any marina info? Is this were you stayed last year, before Wheeler? I'm guessing they at least have a ramp, and you mentioned gas, so what is the dockage like? Any covered slips?

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-16-11 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-16-11, 11:20 PM   #88
MississippiBoy

Add me to the "maybe" list, Bryce. I don't know for how long (or even if) I'll be there, but I agree with Bruce....its 500 miles one way for me, and I'm not gonna drive that far for a 2 day fishing trip.
Old 10-17-11, 12:08 AM   #89
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

But you could always ride with a Bubba if he can go. I am pulling up the calender to check the dates now.
Old 10-17-11, 12:14 AM   #90
nofearengineer

Bruce, your gas can idea is semi-reasonable. You definitely wouldn't want to trailer up and take the boat out of the Holler more than you have to. Talk about a steep and windy (wine-dee) approach. It was fun in the dark this past May.

Yes, there is a ramp, though it is not extremely wide. There are tons of covered slips, but at this point, I can not speak as to their availability to weekenders. I get the feeling most of the people here keep their boat in a slip long term (see above).

Keith is always welcome. I think the issue is Keith staying as long as I like to. It'll be a 9-day thing for me. Keith would have 5 more hours of driving just to get to my house, and the same to drive home after we got back.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 10-17-11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-17-11, 02:06 AM   #91
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

No dice, if my schedule stays the same I will be heading out May 7th. Son of a fish! Either way I would be screwed, because I doubt I would want to drive home on a Sunday and then fly for 20 hours on Monday.
Old 10-17-11, 07:39 AM   #92
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If nobody objects, I'd like to try and be there. If anyone in western NC or eastern TN needs a ride, let me know.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 09:07 AM   #93
bassboogieman

Why would anyone object? The more, the certainly the merrier. I attended my first last year, and can't wait to get back and see all the new friends I made last year, again. The fishing at Wheeler was NOT that great, but I still had a fun week and I'm hoping for much better fishing at the Hollow.
Old 10-17-11, 09:54 AM   #94
nofearengineer

That sucks, Garey...I guess your existence will have to remain unconfirmed, along with the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and the Abominable Snowman.

Top Tiger, of course no one would object. This whole thing is about hanging out with people you already know, and meeting new people. What days do you think you would come?
Old 10-17-11, 10:39 AM   #95
bassboogieman

ONLY SEVEN months to go...............................
I'll figure out the number of days later.

If getting in & out is problematic, then I'll bring several 5 gal. gas cans. I'll be bringing SCRAPPLE - Bryce, the SECOND time is the charm.

As with Wheeler - the number of people a cabin can hold is one thing, but how many GUYS can share is another. EXAMPLE: Cabin #21 claims 16 people but with only 6 beds and 2.5 bathrooms - I don't think so - more like 6. but I don't have a clue as to how difficult reservations may be to secure at that time of year. So, I guess after the New Year if we could get a much better idea of the number, we can decide what type of cabins will be needed. Based on weekly rental and how many guys can share a cabin, it will average about $300 for the entire week, regardless of cabin style - unless you should want to share a bed, or sleep on a sofa, that would reduce your individual cost. Shorter stay, similiar reduction in your expenses for a cabin.

I'm going to call and see how difficult reservations are at that time of year, especially for a group. Last year at Wheeler, I reserved 5 cabins, then tried to match guys up by length of stay - it was difficult at times. This year, I think I'm just going to reserve a cabin for myself as I will be there all week, most others will not. I'll update the post after I talk to the folks at Horse Creek.

UPDATE Talked to Horse Creek and they do not start taking reservations for 2012 until Jan. 2nd. Also, early May is not the height of their season, so availability is pretty good - but it's definitely first come, first served. So, plenty of time to think, plan, etc., but for me, I'll be calling Jan. 2nd and getting a cabin. There are also motel rooms, for those planning on a short stay and may not prefer the cabin set up, but they go faster than the cabins - due to their cheaper price. There it is - if Horse Creek is the place we're staying, check out their website, figure what days you're going to be there and get your reservation made. I'm sure as it gets closer, Bryce will update the list and days each individual is planning on - you can match yourselves up to share if you desire to do so.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-17-11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-17-11, 10:49 AM   #96
nofearengineer

FYI, I am also looking at other marinas around the lake, but they seem even more expensive (though a couple of them are VERY nice). They don't seem to be as fishing oriented as Horse Creek...more of a place to take your wife for a getaway.
Old 10-17-11, 10:52 AM   #97
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
FYI, I am also looking at other marinas around the lake, but they seem even more expensive (though a couple of them are VERY nice). They don't seem to be as fishing oriented as Horse Creek...more of a place to take your wife for a getaway.

Then one of those might be the right place for Bruce and Doc Irv.....
Old 10-17-11, 10:59 AM   #98
nofearengineer

I was wondering if anyone would spike that perfect set.
Old 10-17-11, 12:40 PM   #99
bassboogieman

You need to see some air under your shoes in order to spike - regardless of how perfect the set is.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter where we finally end up. And I have no intention of raining (I rather it be peeing) on NFE's parade. Just trying to help out a little.

I don't know about Doc yet, haven't run this by him. He wasn't fond of the two long drives we made to Alabama last year, and we are fishing in Florida (kayak) in January, so I don't know if he'll be enthusiastic about another long drive in May, especially to yet another unknown reservoir.
Old 10-17-11, 06:10 PM   #100
keithdog

Bryce, right now I don't know if I will be able to attend. I would love to but we are going to a 50th family reunion in Nebraska in June and I can't see us making two trips that close together. Finances what they are, it would take a minor miricle. Things at work look bad right now and layoffs are being discussed. So I'm going to have to be a "maybe" for right now.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.