Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-05, 05:45 PM   #1

Default pig n jig

hi i just logged onto this site last night and noticed the message boards and all of the good advice. so i thought id ask a couple of ?s about the pnj. i live next door to a small pond and have been fishin there all of this week and last week and have caught alot of bass but not much for size so heres mY ?S how to present the pnj and will it work in asmall pond like mine ??? i know there are some big bass in there cause my friend pulled a nice 6lb er out of this weekend. >
Old 05-03-05, 05:50 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: pig n jig

throwing a jig in a pond with grass like moss/snot can be unproductive, since the lure always comes back with green crap on it.
It there is any type of willow trees or any kind of wood floating or near the bank, the jig is a excellant choice.
If no cover to throw at, you could try it on the edges of any weed bed you may find or just experiment with it, and through it where ever you think a bass can find shade or ambush some kritter comming its way
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 06:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice i ll try throwing alog the weed banksand logs and stuff with my jig thats wut i was doing with lizards and getting good results but no size so mabye the jiges what i need.
Old 05-03-05, 06:37 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

You'll be alright lol...it takes a second for the bass to suck in the jig but as soon as you feel the thump just like a plastic worm, set the hook HAARD! ;D
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 06:56 PM   #5
Castaway

Josh, There are many jig designs, I would recommend a asprin type jig head for your application. brand Jigs of this type are the Lunker lure rattle back jigs, Hi-Tek WYD jig. these jigs come over the bottom and don't collect the snot grass stuff like most jigheads do. The Walmart FLW jig is also an asprin type jighead. I hope this helps, just keep a smaller profile to match the food source in your pond, a Stanely brand Hale craw worm trailer, Zoom Lil' critter craw, strike king bitsy bug trailers, zoom super chunk jr trailers would be a good choice to start with. I hope this helps. ;D Ivan
Old 05-03-05, 06:59 PM   #6
Castaway

The HI-Tec WYD jig. http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...EK%20WYD%20JIG
Old 05-03-05, 07:01 PM   #7
Castaway

The Lunker Lure rattleback jig. http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...E%20RATTLEBACK
Old 05-03-05, 07:03 PM   #8
Castaway

The Catch'em Shaker jig. http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...20SHAKER%20JIG
Old 05-03-05, 07:05 PM   #9
Castaway

Strike King bitsy bug trailer. http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...FISH%20TRAILER
Old 05-03-05, 08:00 PM   #10

Wow thanks castaway for the sites and the help what do u think of tiki sticks, sweet beavers, and yuw dingersz for my pond.
Old 05-03-05, 08:07 PM   #11
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

tiki stiks are great in any water.if you like those try the tiki dip stiks. i really like them in redbug/chartruese tip. i like to fish it weightless/weedless. i also like to peg a bullet weight(size depends on you) about 6'' above the worm. reel it and stop, let the worm hit the bottom, and agian start reeling, do this all the way to the boat. most of the fish will come on the fall of the lure. i have not tried the sweet beavers or the dingers. im sure they would work great tho.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 08:12 PM   #12
Castaway

Josh, You had better let those who use them answer that question. I have used the tiki sticks with a good amount of success, but I only fish them on wind blown points and flats where it is too windy to detect a strike on a jig.I use a stitching technique where your grab to line and slowly move the bait. This allows you to detect a strike , just let go of the line and reel down and set the hook. I am by no means very good using that type of bait on a regular basis. Ivan
Old 05-03-05, 08:28 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=josh link=board=news;num=1115153158;start=0#9 date=05/03/05 at 19:00:30]sweet beavers[/quote]

we just had a topic on these, read it.

http://www.bassfishin.com/cgi-bin/ya...7400;start=0#0

Quote:
and yuw dingersz for my pond.
If you mean YUM Dingers, they are a knockoff just like the the Tiki Sticks, of the Senko's Â*They work very well as do the Tiki Sticks. Â*I personally think they are just a little bit softer than the Tiki Sticks.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 08:28 PM   #14
redneck3004
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck3004

You´re fishing the jig with the wrong technique, instead of bottom hoping the bait swim it. White jigs and white, pearl, minnow or shad colored trailers are ideal for swimming a jig, obviously lighter jigs ( 1/8-1/4 oz ) are better for that purpose.
redneck3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 08:51 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Raul, I don't think swimming a jig is a very effective presentation for most practical use.It does work, but there are alot of other lures that will work for that presentation.It catches aggressive fish(mostly little juvenile delinquents)but very seldom will it catch the bigger fish.The jigs I listed under the username Castaway is designed to have more lift so they scoot over the bottom without collecting alot of snotgrass, but maintaining a bottom oriented presentation. Of course I am not always right, but I believe the jig is not an agressive or highly active fish presentation which swimming a jig would simulate. :-/ Ivan
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 08:05 PM   #16
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

Josh, look for any structure such as a fallen tree, log, or even a stump. Swim the jig back with short hops on the bottom. Bump cover as much as possible. Unlike worm fishing, set the hook on the first thump. The first thump is the bass sucking it in. The second thump the bass is spitting it out.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 01:08 PM   #17

Just rig a jig and catch a pig. Bass are real suckers for jigs.
Old 05-10-05, 01:06 PM   #18

I love pond fishing as it is my practice grounds for larger lakes. Many ponds range from shore to no more than 20 ft. Weather conditions play a dramatic impact on ponds and force the angler to adjust quickly. Pig n Jigs are generally effective for me when pitching the shoreline. But, as it has been said, unless the pond is murky vegetation may be a problem in the shollows. My general rule of thumb is to locate structure in or with in direct access to deeper waters. This is where the pig n jig will be most effective. Working just along the outside edges of vegetation with light to no weight soft plastics seem to be productive in the early morning and or cranks or spinners latter. I agree to the remark of swimming a jig as fruitless. I believe the choice of bait to be important... choose one that fits the bill. but, overall it is the angler that possoses the ability and confidence to make the lure work...But I could be full of crap.
Old 05-10-05, 06:40 PM   #19
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lol you mean you all actually catch bass on pnj ?? i really must suck at it i have only caught 2 bass in the last 2 years on a pnj i keep trying but get nothing.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.