Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-11, 01:10 AM   #1
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Frogs?

Ok so I am looking to do more top water fishing this year as i m getting a small boat with my tax return this year. So what I want to know is what are the best frogs to use in the spring and summer? My local water is stained and dark so I know bright color is a must.
Thanks.
Old 02-01-11, 01:26 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well if you are talking about hollow bodied frogs I really like the Bronze Eyed Frog from Spro. I haven't used either the True Tungsten or Livetarget frogs yet but I hear they are good too.

For softplastic frogs I prefer Zoom Hornytoads.
Old 02-01-11, 01:37 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinbassgod View Post
Ok so I am looking to do more top water fishing this year as i m getting a small boat with my tax return this year. So what I want to know is what are the best frogs to use in the spring and summer? My local water is stained and dark so I know bright color is a must.
Thanks.

There are a lot of threads on here about frogs. A lot of us will tell you that stained water does not mean you need bright colors.
For hollow bodied, my favorite from is the river2sea bully wa. If you can find them, I really like the reaction innovations swamp donkey, but they stopped making them a while ago. I like how low they sit in the water.

For soft bodied frogs that I rig, i prefer the floating ribbit.
Old 02-01-11, 08:21 AM   #4
keithdog

I like the Spro Bronzeye for heavy thick cover. Color isn't important in that situation as the bass won't see it anyways. He's only going to see the commotion caused by the bait. In more open water I like a soft swim style frog like the Stike King Rage Frog. Pick a color that you feel confident in and go for it.
Old 02-01-11, 09:17 AM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_...page-SPPF.html

I've used every other kind of frog, and these are the only ones that I throw now. Never have to worry about them filling up with water.

I will be trying the Koppers frog this year to how it rates as well.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 09:29 AM   #6
MIbasser

I use 3 Spro frogs - Jr -60, 65, and poppin'. To me they seem to work the best. As for color I don't think it really matters that much if you are in the pads, open water might be a different situation.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 09:41 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Hollow bodied - for matted grass I like the Snag Proof, more open water I prefer a RI Swamp Donkey. I bought a couple of the Kopper's Live Target frogs to try this year, but they're amost to good looking to throw in the slop.
Soft plastic buzz frogs, I like the old Horny Toad.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 11:11 AM   #8
lilmule

Spro is one of the more popular,I like the smaller one and the popin frog,river tosea bullywa makes a great frog,while the spro works it requires a lot of squeezing out to keep it floating.Bully wa and snagproof a much cheaper frog do not.
For dark water the snagproog green back yellow belly,or a plain black spro jr.
I tend to use bully wa and for culling a king spro thats a 1oz frog,walksbetter than any of the others.Fairly fast reel 6/2-6/3/1 or faster ,limber tip with stout backbone,30pd braid and up.
With rod out to one side or even down retrieve with hops ,pops etc,upon a classic commode flush strike,point rod at where frog was like a 1-2 3 count set hook with a side sweep.
Buy several types of frogs,find one you like,they all have a slight variation as to how they work,some wide wobblers some not like a rat they just go forward normally.Single hook frogs are much harder to learn the hookset than say a double hook one,and often just dont quite get a hold of them(deps) that said they can be monster attractors.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-01-11 at 11:21 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 06:12 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_Proof_Bobbys_Perfect_Frog_12oz/descpage-SPPF.html

I've used every other kind of frog, and these are the only ones that I throw now. Never have to worry about them filling up with water.

I will be trying the Koppers frog this year to how it rates as well.
Oops, I forgot about the Bobbys Perfect Frog. That is a good one!
Old 02-01-11, 06:36 PM   #10
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Most of what I do is frog fishing.... in my opinion it is hard to beat the Spro popper frog in the BLACK color.... yes, it works wonders in stained water. I have also had great success with the black widow color as well (has red on the sides and in the legs).... finally had to retire my black one last summer... the bass destroyed it... split open lengthwise... bet I caught over 150 bass with that lure.

The poppers will outfish the standard nose frogs in stained water by a long shot from my experience.....

You probably already know this but, be sure to use braided line. Will dramatically increase your hookups.....

Nothin more exciting in bass fishing than frogging....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 09:31 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFrogger View Post
Most of what I do is frog fishing.... in my opinion it is hard to beat the Spro popper frog in the BLACK color.... yes, it works wonders in stained water. I have also had great success with the black widow color as well (has red on the sides and in the legs).... finally had to retire my black one last summer... the bass destroyed it... split open lengthwise... bet I caught over 150 bass with that lure.

The poppers will outfish the standard nose frogs in stained water by a long shot from my experience.....

You probably already know this but, be sure to use braided line. Will dramatically increase your hookups.....

Nothin more exciting in bass fishing than frogging....
I will echo all of what IAFrogger said. Spro popper frogs are the only frogs I use any more. It doesn't seem to matter what color I use, but since I blew away my previous PBs with 6.0 and 6.9 pounders with the black widow color (in Iowa) on back-to-back days last year, I now have a soft spot for that specific color. I've also done really well with the all black (Midnight Walker) that I-F mentioned, plus the Leopard color as well. I've only ever used the black ones on very stained water that I sometimes fish in IA, but the lake I do 95% of my fishing on here in MN is very clear, and it doesn't seem to matter if I use a light or dark color on that particular lake.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 09:37 AM   #12
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I haven't noticed a significant increase in strikes with any particular frog, so my biggest concern is simply finding one that floats. Some frogs take on water so fast that they're basically unusable. Some float well until you catch a few fish on them, then they turn into submarines.

I've tried most of the major brands, and the Bobby's Perfect Frog and the Swamp Donkey have been my most reliable floaters. I'm excited to try the new version of the Perfect Frog with the double air chamber, I think it might be the best one yet.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:41 AM   #13
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just use green and brown frogs of any type. Mostly because the frogs are green and the toads are brown. As for specific brands, I have not found any one brand or style does better than the others so far. I have the hollow body types, I have the types made from the same material as senkos with an air cavity in them and as long as they stay on top or just below the surface them they all do well when they get bit.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:51 AM   #14
bassinbob

Here's a third vote for the Spro Popper frog. Black is the color. Outfished all the other hollow body frogs I have. However the Horny Toad for me outfishes every type of frog I throw. I mostly throw frogs in some type of cover. I haven't had good results throwing them in open water. Unless you call them taking the frog as soon as it comes off the cover. Or fishing them parallel to cover.
Old 02-02-11, 09:35 PM   #15
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

One last plug for the midnight black Spro Popper frog.....was reading an article just a few weeks ago and Dean Rojas said his personal favorite that he catches the most bass with is the midnight black...

I also have had great success with the leopard pattern in clearer water..... but midnight black or the black widow is the color of choice in stained water...
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:17 PM   #16
Bob Smith

I am also a Spro fan, but this year I will be trying the new River 2 Sea larry Dalhberg Frog. That has to be one of the most amazing Frogs I have ever seen! They come in all of the good colors too. A little pricey at $11.00 so I'll be throwing mine on Braided line!
Old 02-06-11, 12:02 PM   #17
mrmuskie5

Ive tried all the frogs mentioned except the Dahlberg frog (I will have one by summer) and they all attract strikes the big thing is hook up ratio. i think the snag proof is king here but they tend to foul more. the spros body material is a little thick imo but still a fine frog. as for colors i always throw something with a white belly (frogs have white bellies). oh yeah one more thing add rattles, perferably glass ones, i feel i draws a little more attention (probably all in my head lol). for buzz frogs i have to go with gambler cane toads they just kick like crazy.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 01:23 PM   #18
keveldae
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Frogs

I like using swimming frogs , and the best one I have found is made for Gander mountain . Alot of other frogs I have tried don't always swim correctly right out of the package and these always do . Another thing that I do is use a carolina floating bullet in front of the hook . It helps to make your frog last longer going thru bullrush and structure and it floats the front of the frog on a pause . An Owner twist keeper also helps preserve the frog .
keveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 04:19 AM   #19
Garry2rs

First things first...
There are two types of frogs, the hollow bodies and the solid plastics.
In the hollow bodies, Spro are nice but I doubt that they out fish any other model.
I once won the "big fish" prize in a tournament using an old hollow "Rat" with no whiskers and no tail.
With the solid models, I have used 6 or 7 different brands and they all catch fish. I like the Yum Buzz Frog, but again I think there is little or no difference between brands.
Personally, I use a #4/0 Mustad jig hook with a 45* bend and corkscrew in the eye to hold the frog on. PM me for details if you're not sure what I mean.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:43 AM   #20
lilmule

The solid soft bodied plastic,their can be a difference,some depending upon the user some by the bass..
Ribbet ,buzz frogs have a kicker tail,horny toads do not at times they wont take a kicker well on Ky lake but will a horny toad,just a difference in action,and at times they do or will take one like a floater with buzz legs,yes some float,most sink.
So retrieve is fairly fast,popping spitting,slight pause,and the strike is more akin to a buzzbait bite than a hollow frog bite,and rod does not have to be quite as stout.
Size of the hook is dependent upon size of the frog,small ones 3 1/2 in a 3/0 larger a 4/0 or even 5/0,agree a screw lock hook.
Both types of frogs are quite enjoyable often I use both,and let the bass tell me what they want.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 03:02 PM   #21
DVT Mike

I use the Snag Proof frog after dipping the trailer/legs in boiling water for a minute or so, this seems to improve their action. Color wise, I lean toward the Wild Bullfrog, because I know the guy It's named after.
Old 02-18-11, 08:42 PM   #22
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've used the Bobby's perfect, Spro Bronzeye Jr and the Mad Max.

And I'd rate them in that order. I always seemed to have a better hook up ratio on the Bobby's.

The Black Bobby's and the Natural Red Spro are my 2 favorite colors in those 2 frogs.

I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be done with those types soon......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0742.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	6256  
Old 02-18-11, 09:57 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Just this morning I was wondering if anyone has gotten one of those Larry Dahlberg diving frogs. I may pick one up myself, they look great, especially that one in the water!

BB
Old 02-18-11, 09:59 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Check the action out on the LD diving frog!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XvbiXwSWJM

BB
Old 02-18-11, 10:55 PM   #25
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Yeah, I love that video!
I can't wait to try these out on the river this spring.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.