Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-30-06, 10:17 PM   #1
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8
Default Weeds

Hi i need some help. I fish on a private pond that is about 22 acres. Im a pretty good angler for only being 15. I have been fishin this pond for about 5 years. Last year spinnerbait was best thing working. Even in the early spring before the spawn we'd catch alot of 3-5 pounders. and after the spawn jitterbugs worked awesome to catch 5+ pounders. This year i have only caught a few fish and cant seem to figure out y. I believe the bass are just starting to spawn or it may be about in the middle. The bass are just off the bank about 1 or 2 feet. The thick slimy weeds are already in pretty thick and i cant seem to find any bait to catch them. Iv tried spinnerbait topwater bass jibs texas rig carolina rigs and a few other things. Does neone know of any baits that really get through that thick stuff and does neone have negood ways of getting those big ones to bite?? they are very sluggish but im out of ideas. thanks for the help.
Woody

Oh and also we had a problem with the crappie overpopulation. A dnr officer said we would need to get rid of atleast 14,000. We thinned them out the last 3 years and figure there to be atleast 2-10,000. would that affect nething because we catch crappie with small tube jigs just by dropping it into the water? thanks again for your help. Sorry i made this so long
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 12:36 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thick weeds can limit what you use. I would go with a weedless, weightless soft plastic-a T-rig without the weight. That way you can fish over the top of the weeds since there is no weight pulling it down into the weeds and since it is weedless you won't be bringing in a lot of what we call snot moss-that slimy stuff you mentioned.

My personal choice would be a Senko type bait like a Tiki Stick or a Yum Dinger or a frog bait like a Horny Toad.
Old 05-31-06, 09:34 AM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

try a frog bait,a weightless trick worm ,and a weightless tube bait slowly retrieved over the mats and dropped into holes in the grass.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 01:59 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Try using a worm wacky rigged under a bobber. I catch good numbers of fish doing this.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 05:56 AM   #5
Zach_BassFisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try using a tiki stick or either buzz frogs, i have great success on buzz frogs at places like youve mentioned!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.