Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-16-05, 12:23 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default pig and the jig?????

i have been fishing a 3/8oz jig with a zoom mag chunk trailer. black and blue.with an all black trailer i have been fishing it in red muddy water. around stumps and laydowns mostly i have caught 6 bass on it in the last two days. -all keepers- dragging it along in contact with the bottom. is this normal i know hopping it is the usal practice but they wont hit it that way. or is there some thing i am missing? as you know me and pnj don't get along well but i would like to get better at it. i dragged the same jig with a super chunk-the craw dad kicker things-they would not touch it either. just that big black trailer.

i have not cut the skirt at all i did trim the weed guard down some. and water temps are in the 65-70 degree range -depending on location on the lake-every bass i have caught on it hit it like the last krispy kreme at a jenny craig convention..

zooker
Old 10-16-05, 02:41 PM   #2
JB

I bet the muddy water had something to do with it, the fish hold tight to cover in those conditions and probably liked the lazy draggin presentation instead of the hop, heck tomorrow they'll want the hop back wont they LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 03:33 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zooker, It isn't out of the normal to have to drag it on bottom.I very seldom hop it at all.I usually let it sit for quite a while on the drop, about a minute which seems like its longer than that, and then lift to see whats thereand if no weight, Ilift the rod tip about inches to allow the bait to lift and swim and drop back to the bottom for about 5 seconds before lifting the tip again.Try inserting worm rattles in your trailer chunk and use some scent.I don't trim the skirt or weedguard as a rule.Most people who fish a jig don't allow the fish enough time to hunt it down before retrieving it for another pitch or flip.I don't like rattles anymore, they know when the jig is falling through the water colum,The super chunk falls faster than the big chunk , it doesn't move as much water as it falls either which I would think is the key in the muddy water. If you don't like a jig flip a spinnerbait and fish it the same way as you did the jig. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 04:22 PM   #4
zooker

yeah it was like have to beat the fish in the head with a bait to make them bite it.. 9 cast to the same stump and a 3.2 pounder jumped on it on the ninth cast..

zooker
Old 10-16-05, 06:16 PM   #5
JB

I used to use rattles all the time in murky water , but never clear..I dont know if that fad is over or not, I never hear ppl using them..I used to put them in power craws and drag on the bottom
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 11:31 PM   #6
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i dont use reattles much anymore either. in really murky water i think its more important to use a bright color i like a black and blue or just blue jig with a blue super chunk.
Old 10-17-05, 05:01 AM   #7
zooker

um i was using a triple rattle back jig..

zooker
Old 10-17-05, 06:02 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

ZOOK

Muddy water definately will put the fish on a lazy bite as u have described. DONT GIVE UP BUDDY!!!! You will be missing alot of fish if u dont gain confidence in the pnj. I still fish rattles when the conditions call for them and it usually is muddy water. There are rtimes when you can limit out on a certain lure and then settle down and fish the jig and start culling (the way I fish 99.9% of the time) and there are times I stay with the pnj all day. The key here is DONT GIVE UP.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 02:03 PM   #9
senkosam

I tie my own and use the Triple Rattleback with success using the Zoom Chunk and other plastic trailers. I don't know what sizes you use, but mine range from 1/4 - 1/2 oz. depending on wind and depth.
Black/blue, solid black, black/brown/green, brown/green/purple and green pumpkin/pumpkin, are all the colors I'll ever need. Anyone of them will work and the rattles are a confidence thing.

Hop- drag - swim - deadstick is my retrieve combo (some more than others), but I always cast beyond the target and slow work the lure to it and past it. I rarely work the lure all the way back, unless using it on a rocky flat or point width.

Hope this helps.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 03:54 PM   #10
pig n jig

Zooker, the triple rattleback has a black skirt with the tips of the skirt red.I have caught alot of fish with that jig in clear water.I often wonder, does the rattle sound out as it falls through the water or even when it lands on bottom ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 06:00 PM   #11
zooker

pnj as you know i like trees with stumps in between i never heard the rattles during the cast. -and i mean cast- but my hearin sucks- i can't hear a rat l trap unless it is inches from my head. see this is what LOUD music will do to you young guys...

zooker
Old 10-18-05, 01:46 PM   #12
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Triple Rattlebacks Arent As Loud As Ratltraps. I Like Those Jigs A Lot.
Old 10-21-05, 10:33 AM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumb32
Triple Rattlebacks Arent As Loud As Ratltraps. I Like Those Jigs A Lot.
Umm a "RATLTRAP" is a Lipless crankbait, where the "TRIPLE RATTLEBACK" is a Jig And yes the RatLTraps are louder.

Lizards
Old 10-21-05, 12:07 PM   #14
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've found that to be a very effective method for fishing a jig-n-pig at times. High pressure, cooling water tempratures. It is "most natural" if you've ever watched crawfish, they do mostly just crawl along the bottom. Rarely do they swim off the bottom except when they've been disturbed.
Old 10-21-05, 11:28 PM   #15
skeeter944

just keep trying and stick with it. practice makes perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.