Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-02-09, 08:51 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Knowing when to use what kind of frog.

Late fall last year I was doing well using ribbit frogs over hydrilla, this year, or late winter last year, I got a spro frog; I thought that they would do so much better than the ribbits! And I've still been trying to get the spro frog bite, but yet have only caught one bass on it so far... and one turtle (). So I was wondering how to know when to throw what kind of frog when and where, are there any preferences to throwing a buzz frog, over a hollow frog, and vice versa? The long awaited frog season and already only a month, half mouth away! So any help will be great!!!

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 04-02-09, 09:13 AM   #2
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

Those are two totally different bites. I use the Spro type frog over solid cover. The ribbit is more like a buzzbait, I fish it when the cover is scattered or the fish are agressiively feeding.

We're catching fish on both types here in MS now, so I'd be surprised if frog season wasn't already on in FL.
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 12:22 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I throw the spro onto pads, algae, plastic bags. Anywhere that I can make it rest on something other than just the water. The bass will come through the cover to hit it. I switch to the ribbit when I can see hydrilla almost to the top of the water but not quite on the surface. I want the ribbit to creat disrtuption on the top of the water and then let it drop down and touch the top of those grasses.
Also, like Scott Said, the ribbit is more of a cast and reel bait where the spro is cast and pause. Twitch and pause. That is why you usually need to wait longer to set the hook on a hollow bodied frog.
Lastly, since you are in FL, I would suspect that Frog season is already happening. I know I have been catching with them this whole month out my way.
Old 04-02-09, 01:27 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I throw the spro onto pads, algae, plastic bags. Anywhere that I can make it rest on something other than just the water. The bass will come through the cover to hit it. I switch to the ribbit when I can see hydrilla almost to the top of the water but not quite on the surface. I want the ribbit to creat disrtuption on the top of the water and then let it drop down and touch the top of those grasses.
Also, like Scott Said, the ribbit is more of a cast and reel bait where the spro is cast and pause. Twitch and pause. That is why you usually need to wait longer to set the hook on a hollow bodied frog.
Lastly, since you are in FL, I would suspect that Frog season is already happening. I know I have been catching with them this whole month out my way.
That sounds great! The hydrilla is submerged mostly, with only a few mats! Wind really can change a place!

Thanks Cass and Scott
Old 04-02-09, 02:56 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

i use them in the same types of places and usually at the same time. a few passes with a horny toad or ribbit type frog and a few passes with a bronze eyed frog. the fish will let you know what you need to be throwing that day.
Old 04-02-09, 05:47 PM   #6
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

They are right with the differences between when to use the ribbit vs. the spro. but to break it down even more there are differences in when to use a spro vs. a snagproof. A spro frog as most of you know was designed by dean rojas he designed it out of a harder plastic than a snagproof or other frogs. the reason that he did that was that is the spro is desinged for skipping and the harder plastic doesnt dent in as much as its skipped, there for making it skip much better. so i actually use a rivers2sea frog on mats because of the keel design that makes a more splashing effect on a mat and walks the dog like no ones business when it gets off of the mat. and i use a spro when im trying to skip under docks and brush. another great mat frog is a snagproof bleeding series they have a great hook gap and walk the dog very well. the truth is they will for the most part all skip and they will all work on a mat but there is a difference.
Old 04-02-09, 06:25 PM   #7
cassidyta

Great point Bassthumb. I used spro as a generic phrase, but I do have several model of hollow bellied frogs for different purposes. The swamp donkey is the one that I use the most for general frogging. I will also throw the footed scum frogs in those situations when the pads or grasses have a lot of openings. Gives me the best of both worlds with the disrtuption and the ability to let it sit.
Old 04-02-09, 07:48 PM   #8
Bassboss

Thanks bassthumb! I have a River2sea frog, never use it much, looking back, I have caught more fish on the R2S! Thanks guys! All this info is really helping! I'll probably go tomorrow and use them all! two days ago I got a few to hit a slug-o, it was a 7", so i think they where having a hard time getting the whole thing and I was pulling it away from them..... not that has any thing to do with it, just thought I'd say!
Old 04-03-09, 08:43 AM   #9
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

One other thing to try on your Spro or Snagproof frogs is to insert brass christmas bells into them for a rattle. I keep different sizes in the boat to vary the weight that I am adding. Generally, I add two (a small and larger) one so that they also rattle together. YOu can get them at the local craft store and they are cheap.
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 09:14 AM   #10
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGehee View Post
One other thing to try on your Spro or Snagproof frogs is to insert brass christmas bells into them for a rattle. I keep different sizes in the boat to vary the weight that I am adding. Generally, I add two (a small and larger) one so that they also rattle together. YOu can get them at the local craft store and they are cheap.

I use the glass worm rattles, Just give your srpo, or snagproof a frog enima where the hook comes thru the plastic. You dont cut the plastic this way, and the worm rattles can be removed/ added as needed.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 09:19 AM   #11
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

cover water use the running frog, soak an area or skip it under stuff use the floater, I can make twice as many casts with the runner over the floater, but sometimes they want the floater
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 07:08 PM   #12
Bassboss

Thanks for all the help guys!

I went fishing today at a new place! Used the spro, and the R2S! I caught two bass on the spro, and would have been one on the R2S, and probably a new PB! I was casting the frog into pads, than bringing it into open water, when I got a huge hit on the R2S, biggest I've ever seen, thankfully I have a trained hart, and weight till I felt the fish to set the hook, when I did, it felt like a freaking log! Brought it in to open water, it jumped, my hart stopped, and then it dove into the pads then it landed, got all tangled up, and snapped my 30lb braid..... I had just re-tied to make sure their where not abrasions on the line! So now there’s a lunker swimming around in the lake with a frog lodged into her throat! But I did get two other bass, one was 16", one was 18". I only got a pic of the 16 incher because I went twice that dad, brought the camera on the first trip, did not on the second..... Was lightly raining, didn't want to break!
I'll get a pic of the 16" one up in a minute!
Old 04-03-09, 07:14 PM   #13
cassidyta

congrats on the frog fish. I would supect that the braid rubbed something or that it was weakened before and happened to be on your knot. What knot did you tie?

Last edited by cassidyta; 04-03-09 at 07:29 PM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 07:17 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
congrats on the frog fish. I would suspect that the briad rubbed something or that it was weakened before and happened to be on your knot. What knot did you tie?
Ya, that's a possibility!

Palomar always!

Thanks btw! I'll have the pic up once my camera's done charging.... about an hour!
Old 04-03-09, 07:34 PM   #15
cassidyta

On frogs I make my own version of the double palomar. Once I have the regular palomar tied, I then loop my main line back through the eyelet and tie a scond palomar on top of the first. Since I throw my frogs into some very nasty places, I use 65lbs braid.
While I don't believe a bass will break 30lbs, I have had 40lbs of tullies, pads, branches on the other end of it.
Old 04-03-09, 07:48 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
On frogs I make my own version of the double palomar. Once I have the regular palomar tied, I then loop my main line back through the eyelet and tie a scond palomar on top of the first. Since I throw my frogs into some very nasty places, I use 65lbs braid.
While I don't believe a bass will break 30lbs, I have had 40lbs of tullies, pads, branches on the other end of it.
Ya, when I get a the right amount of cash, I'll get a frog/jig combo, 50-65lb Ppro, heavy action rod, Shimano Citica E, or Abu Garcia Revo S......... Anyway, enough fantasizing!

Here are the pics..... I also for got to mention the 1 1/2' gator that kept on chasing my frogs, got it up on land about a 1' away from me, really cool to see them up close!

Here are all the pics! Enjoy!

This is where my would have been PB was hooked! (notice the over cast sky's!)

Here you can see the length of the bass, it's just blurry...

The pond is about an acre and a half, VERY, VERY SHALLOW, deepest parts like 3 feet, the bass are extremely spooky! Very hard to fish!

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-03-09 at 08:26 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 08:25 PM   #17
cassidyta

Nice pics. It looks like frog heaven. I would also be throwing the largest floating worm I had weightless. Trying to give it that snake look.
If you are considering the citica vs the revo s, go with the revo S hands down. The curado has worked for me on frogs, but the in my opinion, the citica didn't have enough guts to get the job done. I am looking at the BPS Nitro for my next frog combo.
Old 04-03-09, 08:27 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Nice pics. It looks like frog heaven. I would also be throwing the largest floating worm I had weightless. Trying to give it that snake look.
If you are considering the citica vs the revo s, go with the revo S hands down. The curado has worked for me on frogs, but the in my opinion, the citica didn't have enough guts to get the job done. I am looking at the BPS Nitro for my next frog combo.
Thanks allot cass!

You really know your stuff!
Old 04-03-09, 09:23 PM   #19
cassidyta

only on frogs and swimbaits. When it comes to most other baits, I am a novice. Heck that is the main reason I am here.
Old 04-03-09, 10:31 PM   #20
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Get a load of this

Ran across this the other day. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...PHVIDEO_481_HD

Wish there were bass like that around here.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 10:35 PM   #21
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats nothin you aught to see the bass around here.

Just kiddin.
Quote:
Old 04-03-09, 10:49 PM   #22
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Ran across this the other day. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...PHVIDEO_481_HD

Sorry guys this is off the subject. One tip I might give you when fishing frogs is to take an old soft plastic worm and tear it up in bits and then stuff it in your hollow body frogs.http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...PHVIDEO_456_HD hope this helps
Old 04-03-09, 11:05 PM   #23
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I use the glass worm rattles, Just give your srpo, or snagproof a frog enima where the hook comes thru the plastic. You dont cut the plastic this way, and the worm rattles can be removed/ added as needed.
Ditto. I took some rattles off of a couple jigs that were wore out and rusty, and just stuck em in the hole where the hook came out the bottom. I also use some clear silicone to seal up that hole so the frog doesn't fill up with water, it seems to help when you are trying to pull the bait up over the pads and branches.
Old 04-03-09, 11:49 PM   #24
cassidyta

I have never added the noise makers into the frog, I figured it would throw off the balance and cause it to tilt. I have added two large glass beads to the line just in front of the frog. They clanked together on each "hop" of the frog.
On them filling with water, I usually don't worry about it. I will sometimes force them full of water to get a more submerged look like a real frog on the pads. I also have a couple where I have wrapped picture wire around the hook shaft to force the butt of th efrog to ride lower. I like this technique in pads tullies. I call it my finesse frogging. I will let it sit and then twitch it around pads. Big jumps every so often.
Old 04-04-09, 01:51 AM   #25
CCbass

The wierd thing is all the reaserch I have read on high populations of frogs in ponds or lakes on the average. Shows frogs are low as far as a food source, yet we as fisherman catch alot of fish on frog imitations. All I can think is the frog has a way of being not a food source and we the fisherman offer it as such.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.