Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-06, 07:06 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Still laughing at them

When are these outboard manufacturers gonna learn you dont MESS WITH THE MERC BOYS. It just blows my mind that they cant figure out how to build a engine that will run with a Merc. Yes merc is more costly (Mercury machines there parts not cast them) The only engine on the F1 circut that has even come close to running with the black bi@@@ is Yamaha. They have really done the homework and getting close but still MERCURY DOMINATES ALLLLL the circuts. Every time I see the commercial for the new Etec I laugh. Why dont they go ahead and test the engine with another 2 stroke....oh say the 225XS. I'll tell ya why...they dont want to look like a fool. Whew now that I got that off my mind.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 06:13 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ever ride in a boat with an etech?? will take one over ANYTHING merc has. yammi is getting there. alot more reliable any way. e-tech drinks 1/2 the gas of any 2 stroke and makes at least 75% less noise.
but yeah you are right they need to stop running it against 4 strokes and start going head to head against 2 strokes. 4 strokes by the way have a hole shot like a lawn mower pullin a mobil home..

zooker
Old 01-05-06, 07:25 PM   #3
bass kicker

merc is awsome and evin etec sucks ball sac

and merc four strokes are the quietest and most feul effieient outboard out there
Old 01-06-06, 06:21 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

I agree that they are quieter and fuel effecient BUT thats kinda like saying a Gold wing is THE bike. Whick one would you rather ride. Harly or the Gold Wing. AND when it comes to pure performance the Merc as the saying goes SET THE WATER ON FIRE. Mercury still holds ALL did I say all Speed records. OMC's make great motors for pushing around barges, I;ll never take that away from them,and for the most part are very reliable,but I do have to say when it comes to pushing your hull to its limits I feel like "Once you go blavk you'll never go back" I as well as thousands others have done serious and long testing and the Merc will outperform ONC hands down. The technology that is in a Merc is unbeleivable. You can wring double the horsepower outta a Say 150hp Merc. Try that with a OMC and what you got is a grenade sitting on your boat.
Old 01-06-06, 01:40 PM   #5
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I've heard alot of good things about those Etechs and that they can out run the verado's.
fishn'fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 04:34 PM   #6
zooker

fool
verado's are like a 538 merlin rat moter in a 81 camero it will fly but really sucks where it counts, milage..

ran over 100 miles wot in 2 days in a trition packing and etech 225. on bugs island once. at the launch we loaded up asked my buddy how much i owed him in gas. he said he only burned a half a tank. about 25 gallons..think about it

zooker
Old 01-06-06, 05:17 PM   #7
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

1fastlaser

The Yamaha has nice motors.......Suzuki has a nice 4-stroke motor but it can't compete.

The ETec is a great motor. I'm glad you are laughing about people trying to match Merc, but i hate to tell you the ETec is right with it. Maybe you should actually try all teh motors b4 you say Merc is the best.

BTW, i have a merc and like it but think the ETec is equal b/c I fish w/ one of my buddies like 30 days a year who has one. But since when do speed records matter. Those records arent even for bass boats so why do i care?....I mean I dont know...they just dont matter to me. I want reliability, quietness and fuel efficiency with some speed still
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 12:40 AM   #8
bass kicker

ive ridden in many o boats and i still think merc wins hands down
Old 01-07-06, 09:41 AM   #9
Christopherkeene9

Man zook that aint bad at all!! To get 4 miles to the gallon. We get bout' two to run twenty miles offshore and back we use bout' 25 gallons.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 05:57 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Tackle Tester
Watch the commercial and you'll see why I am laughing. Also if you have done any work on Merc motors and omc's you will see why I am laughing. Being a journeyman millwright and building boats,outboards and cars and trucks since they where made ...almost ....I can appreciate the technology and the machine work that goes into a Merc. Ever seen one of the old 50hp merc or the 20. Thousands (strecthing the truth) of hour and never had anything done to them but gas em up. Thats reliability. I am not saying that Etec doesnt have a good thing. They do and my hats off to them. The speed is a issue that yes I am interested in for several reasons. Oh by the way several of those records that we are talkin bout where done on bass hulls. The latest is one zook knows of. Paul Nichols set another record in a stock weight bass boat with a stock motor. Anyway they need to compare apples with apples.

ZOOK
Good way of explaining the newer Verados. Kinda like dragging around a anchor. LOL But I'll take the 225ProXS. Like the add says"SET THE WATER ON FIRE"
Old 08-18-08, 08:08 PM   #11
rangerryan

if your talking reliability i own a 1996 model johnson venom 200 that i have never had to work and i have blown away many 200 mercs. i was also wondering what everybody thinks is the fastest boat hull design.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 10:38 PM   #12
bamabassman

welll........i too have the same motor as you rangerryan. but on a cajun. 97 model. it is a good motor, gets up and goes. but i also had an ol 150 merc on a ranger waaayyy back in 85, it was an 82 model. i would rather have a merc if i had a choice of the 2. but i can't afford to change motors at the moment. and the one i have now runs ok. i ain't really a speed demon per say.i get my 20' cajun up to 71 with just me in it....fast enough for me. besides, i would rather fish than run up and down thiver,lol. ain't into tourneys so i am content ..... for now, hehehe.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 05:39 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

RRyan
Are you talkin bass boat or what??
Old 08-19-08, 06:35 AM   #14
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I can remember when it was about fishing, not outrunning someone.
Based on my many years of observation I think one's motor choice should be based on reliability and fuel efficiency.
I've known more Mercs (the bigger ones, anyway,) to self-destruct, percentage-wise, than any other make. The 175s and down seem to do much better. Again, MY observations.
Speed? Well, Yamaha is VERY close to the top and the E-Tec HOs seem to do just fine. Neither of those has so much of a tendency to blow up, either.
Were I in the market I'd choose 'tween the E-Tec and the Yamaha Series II.
Since I lean toward white hulls I think the white E-Tec with the stars and stripes and a white TM would be the bee's knees. Trim colors might be Red and Blue for the patriotic effect or Crimson for the OU effect.
Frankly, I'd rather the kicker be shut off and the TM quietly going about it's business in the water.
I've noticed, over the years, that the more a guy is obsessed with speed the less of a basser he is. I'll stand by that assertion any time, any day.
About a year and a half ago I drove, solo, a bass boat at too damned close to 100 MPH GPS (on a freezing cold day.) Would I do it again? Only in the direst emergency. Did I like it? Frankly, NO! Did I recommend the prospective buyer for whom I "tested" it own it...NO! Was I really qualified to do it? Marginally. But hey, I'm getting old and so I thought "Well, if I wipe out fatally at least I'll make the evening news!" Poor excuse.
What boat was it? Bullet 21XDC with a Pro XS (Can't remember whether it was a 250 or a 300...Darned Alzheimer's!) Haven't a clue re prop specs but it did have a special lower unit and a hydraulic jack plate (that took me a while to master.) Boat had minimal fuel on board and nothing else but me, my PFD, fire extinguisher and a throwable floating cushion. No lights, no fishing seats or pedestals, no Gatorade, no tackle, not even a CD for the player. Never again!
If you must have a motor-related obsession why not make it re fuel efficiency and reliability. OK?

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 05:58 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
I can remember when it was about fishing, not outrunning someone.

lancer
belive it or not it is coming back to this situation more and more.. these fools with the go fast rides can't afford to shell out $200 worth the gas for a day of fishing..

the only time i have seen tourny anglers running flat out all day in tourny this year would be in an bfl or a high pay out tourny. rest of the time they hit plane and cruise at 40-50 mph..

there is only one thing keeping me from buying a suzuki that is there customer service SUCKS. warranty's are sold to general eletric.what the hell does ge know about outboard moters??-TRY NOTHING-these things aint toasters..

i probly go with a yammer on my next ride any way..laser talks a good speel but owns a rude not a merc..think about it a mintue.....

omc's are a long life moter they don't turn nearly as many rpm as either the yamaha or the merc stock.. hence that last a long time..

some one dragged this old azzed strawberry out of the fridge didn't they..

zooker
Old 08-19-08, 06:43 PM   #16
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
RRyan
Are you talkin bass boat or what??

bass boat........ what make?
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 02:35 PM   #17
Wishing2BFishing

I won't add my 2 cents on my jet outboard.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 03:34 PM   #18
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
I won't add my 2 cents on my jet outboard.
Dang! I was gonna see yer two cents and raise you a dime!
Spoilsport!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 05:48 PM   #19
zooker

in bass boat hull design allison is the fastest bass boat though bullet is next stroker's and laser's run around third.. that being said if you dump enough money into any boat you can make it scream...

zooker
Old 08-20-08, 05:53 PM   #20
bamabassman

yes zookie, in my opion here only. one thing i have learned is speed is just a question of money. mo money you spend the faster it'll go. right?
Old 08-20-08, 06:57 PM   #21
zooker

in a nut shell yes...

zooker
Old 08-20-08, 07:28 PM   #22
JB

i still think the common mentality of all levels of bass tournies pro and club level is that on blast off, the guy with the fastest boat is gloating that he'll be on fish first, while the guy with the smallest motor wonders how long it will be till he can be on fish with his slow ride.
I've seen time after time guys with smaller engines stay a lot closer to the ramp area and catch overlooked bass that have been recently released from a previous tourney then sometimes the guy that always goes to the other end of the lake.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 08:13 PM   #23
zooker

badin lake aba tourny this spring won by a guy in a 14 foot jon boat with a 20 horse moter and a hand control troller.. made them look BAD....

always remember this "it is not the size of the boat it is the skill of the angler in that boat"

zooker
Old 08-20-08, 10:10 PM   #24
bamabassman

right on my brotha!! hahaha. it's like me yesterday and most days..... everyone knows i put in at B B comer bridge. the other guys look at me like i am some kinda fool cuz i just drop the trolling motor and go straight across from the launch, or troll right at the launch and then troll over to the other side. now i ain't saying i catch all the fish, cuz i don't, lmao. but i want to learn how to fish the grass and lilly pads and they are RIGHT there. so why run out $50.00 worth of gas and fish grass and pads elsewhere? but it gives me time and experience really close by. gonna go tomorrow, got to try the new jigs i made from the heads ol zooker sent me, hehehe. hope they work. ifn they do, i'll try to post a pic of the jig setup. the grass is SO thick now i am really hoping these will get down in there.
Old 08-21-08, 09:22 AM   #25
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmm, Ford or Chevy...which one? Merc or Yamahammer? I was a sponsored fisherman for a good many years and I ran Mercury Motors and was very happy with them. They did everything perfect. Quit fishing for a couple of years and wanted a new boat and decided on a Skeeter. I went to get a Skeeter and it had a Yamahammer on it and I was reluctant, but after talking to friends...I bought it. Well, the Yamaha has been a good motor and it does almost everything as well as the Merc, I said almost. It is not near as fast and it LOVES GASOLINE! This sucker is awful on fuel mileage. I could run the Merc's 3/4 throttle and blaze along at a really good clip and not use much fuel. I better not get the Yamaha over 4000 rpm's or It will eat gas. I could run the Merc a full blast and the Yamaha at 3/4 and the Merc will get better fuel mileage.

This has been a great motor other than what I listed, but it is also my last Yamaha. I am going to buy a Merc on my next boat.

Just my thoughts...Buddy
buddy_fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.