Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-23-08, 12:27 AM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Winter Tips

I am excited to get a chance to fish this winter. I didn't have a boat last year so I didn't fish. We have had several Big Northerns come through lately and I am expecting the water temp to go down. As of right now it is still 62 degress. Any tips for fishing Winter when the water is clear and high 50's/low 60's? Oh and the lake is highland with no underwater vegetation.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 01:12 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would throw suspending jerkbaits. Try some regular diving ones and some deep divers if you got any. Try working them fast, pause, fast. If that isn't working try a slow sweep of the rod then let it sit and take up the slack, then another slow sweep.
Where are you fishing?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 11:48 AM   #3
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

I am fishing out of Austin, Texas. It is a highland lake, clear water, 62 degree's.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 03:12 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

around here that temp range is perfect for crankbaits, run deep diving crankbaits in shallow water on windy chunk rock banks and dig up the bottom with the crankbait. this temp also finds us throwing a lot of jigs and spinnerbaits as well. our jerkbait bite really doesn't turn on all that well until the water drops into the low to mid 50's. also don't over look a buzzbait in the back of pockets and coves, especially early in the morning.
Old 12-24-08, 11:15 AM   #5
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Alot of states have fishing reports on their state wildlife agency website. Most of the time they have archives going back several years, so you can look back at December/January of 07,06,05,...and get an idea of what was working then.
Old 12-27-08, 07:41 PM   #6
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Even when the water temp dips down, I always use a crankbait. My choice for cold water is bandit's flatmaxx deep diver that dives to 12'. I've read alot of articles about suspending jerks, and jerks that rise very slow, but jerks are the lure I just can't catch fish on. When I ice fish I catch bass on a 1/4 ounce jigging spoon, but its usually tiped with a wax worm or Euro larva. I'm sure they would still bit it with out it. The float and fly is another good method, but its a specialty method that takes equipment suited for it. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 08:19 PM   #7
zooker

one of the ways i catch bass on a deep crank in the winter is #1 location creek channels #2 retrive speed is that of a carolina rig..18-20" sweeps and a pause.. i normally crank the first 10 full handle turns at full speed.then go into the sweep/pause mode..

zooker
Old 12-27-08, 10:54 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Crank, suspending jerkbaits when the water gets in the 50s. In the 60s a jig or crawfish deep running crankbait will work. I'm guessing by your description you are fishing Travis or one of the Highland lakes. The bare rock banks that look like they won't hold fish can be surprisingly productive, especially if you have some wind. I fish Canyon Lake a lot-or used to-which is also a highland lake. A shad colored lipless crankbait can also produce well. The dam end/deeper bluff banks can hold some good smallies. Suspending jerkbaits along bluff banks will work well, too.

One last tip: Don't fall in!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.