Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-01-11, 10:16 PM   #1
Fireduck
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Winter/Early Spring Jig Colors

What color jig works best for you guys early in the year. I'm sitting here thinking and the red black lipless crank bait works so well I wander how a red and black jig would work.
Fireduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 10:56 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

early in the year (spring) i used 2 colors mainly, black-n-blue and some sort of green. i have lots more to choose from now though. so i may try each color to see which one works best. but most of my choices are in the crawdad range.
Old 02-02-11, 01:48 AM   #3
keithdog

There are so many species of crawdads in this country it's unreal. If I were you, I woould contact someone from the DNR in youor area and find out exactly what kind of crawdads you have in your particular area. Then you can find out what the various color stages are depending on the time of year as it can vary. Then try to match your jig color as closely as you can to the local crawdads.
Old 02-02-11, 11:53 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Here is a site that will help you figure out what colors of crawdads you have in your area. http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/c...s_by_state.htm
Old 02-02-11, 12:51 PM   #5
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

black/blue, green pumpkin, peanut butter and jelly

I thought those were the only colors you ever needed?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 07:09 PM   #6
nobass

i see you are from ky if you fish ky lake or barren river up to the 1st of june black and blue seems to work best. from june thur sept more green and browns. then back to blue and black till dec. after that too cold for me til spring.
Old 02-03-11, 10:00 AM   #7
walkeraviator

I am new to the Jig thing, but I have had all my luck on Barren using green pumpkin colors, but am interested in a color from Cumberland Pro JIgs called Barren Craw. Its a green pumpkin with lots of orange in it. I also like teh look of the color wild thing. It is black, green pumpkin, and blue. I think water color has a lot to do with it. Usually in the spring, the water is a little more dingy from all the rain we get, so black may be the way to go. I often wonder in the spring if color really matters, or if it is teh rattles in a rattle trap that imitate the clicking a crawfish makes.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 10:33 AM   #8
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
i see you are from ky if you fish ky lake or barren river up to the 1st of june black and blue seems to work best. from june thur sept more green and browns. then back to blue and black till dec. after that too cold for me til spring.
I agree with this post, except I use black/blue most of the year, usually with a Hank Parker pork hanging on the back.
Old 02-03-11, 07:42 PM   #9
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

Like doc said, keep it simple. Don't overthink jig color.
Black and blue, browns, and greens will get you through whatever conditions you're fishin. You can throw in some reds and oranges as well but don't get hung up on when to fish what color. A jig is a jig and a crawdad is a crawdad. The bass don't care as much as we do.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 07:59 PM   #10
Fireduck
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
I fish both lakes and green pumpkin is my favorite for Ky lake. I have not been a big jig fisherman till last year. Jigs catch bigger fish I believe that now. I fished a two day tourament on Ky lake had 24lbs the first day and 20lbs the second all caught on jigs. I'm fishing a bigger circut this year not looking for more bited but bigger bites.
Fireduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:14 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireduck View Post
I fish both lakes and green pumpkin is my favorite for Ky lake. I have not been a big jig fisherman till last year. Jigs catch bigger fish I believe that now. I fished a two day tourament on Ky lake had 24lbs the first day and 20lbs the second all caught on jigs. I'm fishing a bigger circut this year not looking for more bited but bigger bites.
Ya just gotta love tha lake! Year after year it just keeps on producing! I used to fish it in the early 90s and it was a great jig lake back then too.
Old 02-06-11, 12:08 PM   #12
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

its all about the molting of your areas craws. in my area they go from bluish green in the spring to brownish green in the summer/fall.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.