Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-11-04, 09:38 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default need some help

if anybody is familiar w/ the okawauha river then i need some help. im gunna be fishing it soon and i have no idea of what is good to use on it. i was fishing the panoptan(i think thats how u spell it) the other day and i caught nothing. that was last saturday when the cold front moved threw so that might have had somthing to do w/ it. anyways another cold front just moved threw so any advice on what to use on the okawauha river would be really helpful thanks.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-04, 11:16 AM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: need some help

My advice is to not go fishing, and do something else. THis was a very cold and big cold front. Cold front +sunny out afterwards = the worst fishing.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-04, 11:22 AM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

nah ya just got to fish the right type of bait leave plastic baits at home. use a suspending rat trap type bait or a jerk bait of some kind. the x rap worked very slowly will do it. don't think you can go out and catch 10 bass in 8 hours 3-4 maybe.don't go out early in the am during the winter bass won't turn on till the sun hits the water fairly well 10 am or so.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-04, 12:02 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1102811907;start=0#1 date=12/12/04 at 09:16:27]My Â*advice is to not go fishing, and do something else.[/quote]

Man I can't believe you even said that, and you claim to be a bsss fisherman, go fishing ANYTIME YOU CAN, cuz it's never enough

Quote:
Â*THis was a very cold and big cold front. Â*Cold front +sunny out afterwards = the worst fishing.

Just differnt baits, and expectations are needed, along with very slow presentations, as zooker said I prefer, the c-rig in these situations, and also PNJ YO-YOing around the timber. Bass will generally stay a lot closer to cover during these fronts and won't move much away from it at all.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-04, 02:12 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1102811907;start=0#3 date=12/12/04 at 10:02:38]

Man I can't believe you even said that, and you claim to be a bsss fisherman, go fishing ANYTIME YOU CAN, cuz it's never enough

Lizards
[/quote]

I was waitng until someone would say that. ;D Actually what I meant is that if he could get something else out of the way today so he could do more fishing in a couple more days, that would be better than going now.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-04, 11:48 PM   #6
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Bassfisher02, what part are you going to fish? Since there has been a recent cold front i would suggest you run as far up the river as you can to get the best water temp(the river is spring fed and stays around 72 degrees year round until you get a good ways down below Eureka springs). I would reccomend you put in at HWY40 or anywhere up from Eureka or Gore's landing. You will have to idle down to where the Oklawaha and the Silver river intersects if you put in at HWY40 but once past you can run at whatever speed you deem safe. The water should be pretty clear in the upper end as well. If you are starting from Rodman the water temp will not be quite as warm but will be warmer than in the reservior. Many fisherman will drag a length of chain on a ski rope behind the boat to slow your drift as the current is very swift ahd will kill you battery in a hurry if you try to run against the current all day(after many years i have found this to be most effective). The most productive lures i have used are red shad and crawdad culprits and red with black core phenoms rigged T/style with a pegged 1/8oz. bullet weight and crawdad or shad colored crankbaits .(rebel craws and bomber model A's have been good ).With the perfect water temp you should also be able to find early spawners(full moon next weekend!) in some of the feeder creeks and spring runs. There could be some toads staging at their mouths as well. ;D Buzzbaitsand soft jerkbaits(senko style) can be effective in the lillypads in the bends from time to time. Look for current breaks and any indentions in the shoreline where there is a current break as many of the fish are up in these ambush spots due to the undercutting of the current. This river can be VERY productive and is probably my favorite place to fish in the winter and summer because of the consistent water temp and is really just a beautiful place to fish anyway. I hope this helps and that you have a good trip.

Hi all and sorry for such a long post!
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 07:12 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

welcome to the site gammy leave your sanity at the door pick up the bait monkey on the left.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 08:34 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

gammye were planning on putting in at the moss bluff area if ur familiar w/ the area. thanks for all the advice
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 08:50 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

welcome to the board gamm and bill_m.don't step in any of the BS.there's lots of it here.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 01:04 AM   #10
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

BF02, That is the part of the river that I am the least familliar with. Ihave fished it a few times but i normally fish it from the other side of the dam. I would use pretty much the same lures here as I would in the upper end. I do recall having some success using arkansas shiner flukes and black ruby trick worms in a winter club tournament. If the Ok. doesn't produce for you and you have the time, its not THAT far of a run to the East bank of Lake George where ther are a few REALLY nice spring runs that will hold fish this time of year.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.