Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-12, 10:19 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Denny Brauer retires

One of the greats announces his retirement.
http://www.bassfan.com/docktalk.asp?id=9442#9442
Old 09-22-12, 10:28 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

As cliche as it sounds, he will really be missed. He was always one of the guys you had to have in the back of your mind just about anywhere they competed, but you put him on a river system or any other lake where a flipping stick was the main weapon and he was a very dangerous guy. I always thought it was interested how so many guys can make a living as a pro angler and handle the business side so many ways. You have the guys who sell products for their sponsors by being a great personality like Gerald Swindle and then you have the guys like VanDam and Brauer who rarely crack a smile but still sell product for their sponsors by what they do on the water. Not taking anything away from Swindle or Brauer, I admire both of them for what they accomplish, but I think it says a lot for the sport that it can be done different ways and none of them are wrong. Another thing I always admired about Denny Brauer was how good of shape he kept himself in, especially when you consider his age and the back surgeries he has been through. I have met him a few times and was always in awe when I seen him in person because he was as solid as a rock.
Old 09-22-12, 10:36 PM   #3
Jrob78

Wow, I was not expecting that. I read an interview with Denny just a few months ago where he talked about having a couple more years left in him. I know he just sold his place in MO and moved to lake Amistad in TX. He was planning to honor the remaining years on his various contracts before retiring though.

He will go down as one of the true greats to ever fish competitively. It will be weird not having Denny out there fishing. Hopefully he will do some tv stuff. He is a great personality, a fan favorite and great for fishing. I will miss not seeing him if he chooses to get out of the public eye.
Old 09-22-12, 10:43 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Wow, I was not expecting that. I read an interview with Denny just a few months ago where he talked about having a couple more years left in him. I know he just sold his place in MO and moved to lake Amistad in TX. He was planning to honor the remaining years on his various contracts before retiring though.

He will go down as one of the true greats to ever fish competitively. It will be weird not having Denny out there fishing. Hopefully he will do some tv stuff. He is a great personality, a fan favorite and great for fishing. I will miss not seeing him if he chooses to get out of the public eye.
Just thinking out loud here, so take it with a grain of salt. But I wonder if he will still be able to meet his sponsorship obligations through t.v. work? He already does a lot with the Strike King Pro Journal show and this would allow him to do even more shows I would assume.
Old 09-22-12, 11:36 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Just thinking out loud here, so take it with a grain of salt. But I wonder if he will still be able to meet his sponsorship obligations through t.v. work? He already does a lot with the Strike King Pro Journal show and this would allow him to do even more shows I would assume.
I had the same thought. He might record more episodes of the Brauer Bass Battles with Chad too. He's great on tv. These guys (and any athlete in the public eye) deserve to retire to whatever life they choose but I sure hope Denny doesn't lay too low. He's great for the sport and fun to watch on tv.
Old 09-22-12, 11:49 PM   #6
keithdog

Whats the bass fishing world going to be like without Denny? It's sure going to leave a void for a while. I wish him the best.
Old 09-23-12, 01:57 AM   #7
Jrob78

Here's the Bass Fan article from last month. I guess he's changed his mind since then.

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=4355
Old 09-23-12, 08:47 AM   #8
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I guess he's changed his mind since then.
... or something has changed it for him.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-12, 03:25 PM   #9
bassinbob

Hope that something isn't physical or worse. Nice guy all around. Good luck Denny.
Old 09-23-12, 05:16 PM   #10
WTL

Happy trails to Denny Brauer. I remember his show the Bass Class, that was the model for what a fishing show should be.
Old 09-23-12, 08:16 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Happy trails to Denny Brauer. I remember his show the Bass Class, that was the model for what a fishing show should be.
That show was awesome. I have said several times that I wish I could have a pro ride along with me for a day on the lake and critique me and tell me what areas to improve and how. That show did just that.
Old 09-23-12, 10:54 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

I hadn't thought about that show in years...definately one of my favorites.http://youtu.be/p-nJL47Jowo Reckon how old he was in this clip? 30? or less ?
Old 09-24-12, 04:35 PM   #13
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I hadn't thought about that show in years...definately one of my favorites.http://youtu.be/p-nJL47Jowo Reckon how old he was in this clip? 30? or less ?
No, heck he was doing that show back in 2000 or so. So he was upper 40's to 50. It was one of the best shows on at the time.

I'll miss Denny on the trail...always one of my favorites. He grew up in the same area of Nebraska I did, so I've always thought of him as one of my favorites.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 07:21 PM   #14
RAYMAN111
BassFishin.Com Member

Heck of a Nice Guy! Have had the honor or doing shows with him and some late evening Dinners in Vegas. I hope he stays with ARDENT as he has helped them with the design of the reels and now his latest line if Rods. Hopefully, this is a change from Fisherman to Factory Consultant.......and more time with the family.
RAYMAN111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 05:47 PM   #15
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
No, heck he was doing that show back in 2000 or so. So he was upper 40's to 50. .
Dang.....it seems like longer ago than that, if he's 50 in that clip then I'm guessing he was a preemie

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.