Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-15-05, 06:37 PM   #1
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Windy fishing..need tips

well the pond i go to i have great success fishing it..mainly spinners baits..but i cannot stand fishing it when the wind is blowing..i have heard most say that slow presentation(worm,senko) is the best way for wind..but these fish love spinnerbaits and faster lure..it's not deep of water where i noramlly fish maybe no bigger than a ft deep..any suggestions
Old 06-15-05, 06:38 PM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Re: Windy fishing..need tips

o and this pond is loades with algae..not weeds but that nasty muck stuff..it's cleared off the top but alot on the bottom
Old 06-15-05, 06:58 PM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Windy Day Bassin

Working windy days does have its drawbacks. Whether wading or working from a boat, we are buffeted about. Control becomes a problem. Walking is difficult and boat handing is a nightmare. More effort and attention needs to be placed on where your body is rather than where your lure is. Casting becomes a big problem. Backlashes and errant accuracy become a curse. This really gets aggravating when trying to pitch to heavy cover and weeds. Face it, working windy days takes plenty of energy. Electric motors are relied on more heavily. Backs get sore and patience wears thin. One of the most overlooked factors for covering the windy shores is a lack of fishing pressure. Very few anglers like to slug it out with Mother Nature. Even pleasure boaters stay away. This gives the bass a chance to lower their defenses and make it easier for the angler to score. Keep in mind those tossing caps created by the wind do several things beneath the surface to shake things up and give the angler a better deal. Waves create enough disturbance to shake loose small creatures but not enough to hinder the larger ones, the bass. Therefore, crawfish, gizzard shad, and terrestrials are tossed from their moorings by the tempest. The breeze also carries the scent and taste of these critters more quickly. This stimulates fish into a feeding. Not only does the wind turn the bass into a feeding frenzy, it also hides the angler. The disturbed surface reflects light at different angles and makes it difficult to see above the surface. The blustery surface also makes it more difficult for a bass to hear an approaching fisherman. The slapping of waves on the shore muffles the tone of electric motors. Even the splash of the lure is changed from something that usually spooks bass into something that sets off a terrific strike.

THE RIGHT LURE: Lure selection for windy waters needs to match the weather. Gentle surface baits, light bodied crankbaits, and petite spinnerbaits have no place in heavy waves. Lures need to have some substance. They need to be tossed into a stiff breeze, be seen on a roiled surface, and put up enough resistance to be detected with a bow in the line. Noise also becomes a factor. For example, a Zara Spook will certainly bounce and prance to the attention of a roving bass much better than a slim bodied minnow type bait. Buzzbaits: A big bladed buzzbait is a fine choice for working windy waters. By far the larger blades are preferred over smaller ones. Spinnerbaits: Spinnerbaits should also have at least a No.5 Indiana or Colorado blade to give resistance, vibration, and flash. Color: Color is also important when checking your windy list of lures. Bright colors seem better than dull ones. Chrome, white, and chartreuse are prime tones. Jigs: When using jigs they should be large enough to take the pressure of the waves. A 3/8 oz. model is as light as you should go. This is important when trying to keep contact with the bait. The stouter lead will keep the bow out of your line. Crankbaits: Your crankbait should match the agenda. A Rattle Trap sends out a racket perfect for getting the attention of searching largemouth in rough water. A Model 6A Bomber will send out rattles and put up enough resistance to keep you in touch with what is going on down there. Spoons: Even weedy water lures need a bit more action and loudness. A Johnson Silver Minnow will put out a wide sweep and gurgle seen and heard in the stiffest of breezes. Team the bait with either a piece of pork or plastic worm to give it more wiggle and a wider sweep. Tackle: Match your tackle to the conditions as well. A lighter line will keep sensitivity high and prevent line bow. Another trick is to keep the rod tip close to the water. This prevents the wind from putting a bow in the line. Also, try using a rod at least six feet long. It will give you plenty of hook setting sweep in the tough conditions. Casting: The final suggestion is either cast into the wind or with it. Perpendicular pitches will fly off target and also permit that dreaded bow. The extra effort is worth it.

ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:13 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

one of the best windy day baits....spinnerbaits especially if its cloudy. 8)
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 08:12 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

That and a lipless crankbait like a Rat-L-trap.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 08:21 PM   #6
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Its easy to remember fishing in the wind because here its been windy all week with the huricane leftovers in ohio
I always tell people to throw side armed and keep
it as low as possible if your cast must go against the wind.
If ya practise this and keep the bait 3-4 feet off the
water, you'll notice that your throwing under docks will improve too...
The worst thing throwing overhand into the wind with a baitcaster is the lure looses momentum faster than the angler is used to and caused the spool to unwind faster
while the lure is being slowed down by the wind.
Of course on the other hand throwing with the wind
is killer!
ya can chuck that suckah a mile!
problem is your way better off bringing your lure with the wind in my opinon.
My pattern for windy days is simple..target docks, the oldler and beat up wood ones are best.
They all hold brush under and have all those posts in the water, I take 2 weapons with me, the buzzbait on the edges of the dock, then take a worm and throw it up under the dock and work it over again and again,,
On windy days the fish will gather under docks for some protection, and when I see a row of pontoon boats on a long slip, I always use the same tactic, throw under them..Its not fair for the boat owner , you have to be carefull not to mis cast and hit the tarp or cover etc..
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 09:17 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Reading Zilla's post reminded me of something I'm starting to do. After my last getting-blown-all-over-the-lake trip (notice I didn't say fishing trip ;D) I made what I call a "wind rod". Actually didn't "make" it, just designated one. I got one of my spinning rods that is a MH action and tied on a trap. I know from experience I can throw a trap on a spinning rod into the teeth of a pretty strong wind with no trouble. In a moderate wind I can still throw a trap into the wind with a baitcaster, but get one of those Zooker Specials and it means instant birdsnest. Spinnerbaits aren't too much trouble either on spinning gear.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 10:42 PM   #8
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Spinnerbaits like O2 said kill them in the wind usually and make the spinnerbait bite better because the added chop from the wind limits the basses visability of the spinnerbait than on a bluebird day when it can be impossible to catch fish on a spinnerbait.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 12:11 AM   #9
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

ya sounds like u need to wacky worm.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.