Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-05, 02:56 PM   #1
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard
Default Pollen season... = cover for bass?

First of all, happy first day of summer to everyone! As the longest days of the year are here and the bass finish going into summer patterns, it is a great time to catch many bass.

June also means... pollen season. Right now the pine trees are unloading.

On the water today I noticed in some areas there was a thick yellow film on top, and saw some wakes under it. Cast a slug-go over and sure enough, a bass! Muscle bass too... 1 lb... fought like a 3.

Do you guys think that pollen on water can count as cover? Are my chances any better at casting these areas than they are anywhere else? Ideas? ??? I'd try some topwater, but there are weeds in the area too.

Fish are pretty shallow... outside of weed line or at the bank, saw an osprey or heron today fly off from the bank.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 03:02 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Pollen season... = cover for bass?

Its always been my experience that pollen and pods that hit the water make bass fishing really hard, what happens is after hours on the water you get a buildup on your line..
I know on the ohio river the cottonwood trees all dump millions of white floating seeds with fuzz on them, that cling to your line, I usually let the line run through my index finger and thumb and let it build up to a wad and then pick it off..it can get between your eyelets and mess up your next cast, it holds the line back while the spool is letting out line, causing a big backlash..its also been my experience that this pollen or seedlings won't hold bass under in, at least in the creeks that feed the river...
all in all though any type of vegetation that provides a canopy of shade will hold bass..
Our pollen time in ohio hits its peak in april n may,, its low right now, you can go to the weather channel each day and see what the count is for your area.. 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:01 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

when i hear pollen season i think allergies and headaches..... :P but that pollen does provide shadow, and in summer shadow is key
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:23 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Jb, I do the same thing. Just let the line run through your figers and once it wads up, flick it off.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 06:25 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Yes pollen can be a form of cover, like grass clippings, leaves or anything else floating on the surface.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 07:54 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

what jb did not mention was the hours it takes to get the yellow crap off your boat.
lone the pollen raises the ph level in the water. just like a live tree hanging in the water. fish tend to shy away from it.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 09:42 PM   #7
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ya , well anytime ya go in the ohio river,
Your going to have a scum line that takes some scrubing off when the days over, ya see some anglers that have already given up for the day on the way to the ramp taking rags and wiping the sides as they go!
LOL
I've never seen any bass caught under seedlings but on many other types of natures falling , the bass are right there~
i like in the fall when they will be under big groups of willow leafs 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 11:21 PM   #8
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i would imagine it would be a cover. i dont fish them.
Old 06-22-05, 12:32 AM   #9
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

I can get them under scum but not under pollen. Plus as you guys said earlier the crap really gets on your line and you have to retie and get the crap of all the time.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.