Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-10, 08:09 PM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluorocarbon Leaders

I'm looking to try fluorocarbon leaders and just had a few questions. What would be the appropriate pound line to use for 20 pound braid?

Also, how long of a leader am I supposed to use?

I think they might help my jig fishing a little, plus I just like the idea.

Thanks
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 08:38 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Line Dia. 8lb 10lb 15lb 20lb 30lb 40lb 50lb 65lb 80lb
Inches .005 .006 .007 .009 .011 .013 .014 .016 .017
Millimeters .13 .15 .18 .23 .28 .33 .36 .41 .43
Equiv. Mono Diameter 1lb 2lb 4lb 6lb 8lb 10lb 12lb 16lb 17lb

This chart is for Power Pro braid, allot of people use it, so I chose it to show the equiv. mono line. You want to keep the two dia. about the same. I usally join them with a blood knot, there are many knots that will work. I usually tie about a 7 -10ft leader depending on what I am trying to do.

Chart did not come out real well, hopefully you can figure it out.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 08:54 PM   #3
Tavery5

I guess I should have added to my original post, that I almost never tie a leader anymore. I don't do allot of finese type fishing, and when I do, I don't seem to get anymore bites than if I just tie straight to braid.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 10:55 PM   #4
bassboogieman

On MH spinning gear I use 20# braid and about 4' of 8# Flurocarbon as a leader. Med power rods get a 6# leader, and the leader is 2' longer for a dropshot rig.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 04:16 AM   #5
islandbass

Any test less than your mainline will work. The cover you will face should influence your decision. One reason for having a weaker leader is to make breakoffs easier. I try to get away with the lightest test I can get away with.
Old 09-28-10, 08:07 AM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you're fishing jigs, I definitely wouldn't recommend using 6lb fluorocarbon. The ideal thing is to match the diameter, but it isn't a must.

I used 12-15lb fluorocarbon leaders on 30lb braid. And i use 15-20lb on 50lb braid.

In this case, I'd either increase the size of the braid you're using, or just use a larger diameter leader.

BB
Old 09-29-10, 08:18 PM   #7
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for the responses I think I will try the seagar line I heard that it's good.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 03:59 PM   #8
islandbass

That's a good choice, but they make a number of fc lines and each one has a niche if you know what I mean. I don't know about the others but in the lower tests, the Invizx is surprisingly limp for an fc line and as a result it is very manageable on spinning gear. This trait should not affect its performance on casting gear. I recommend that you check out their site. They have a cheat sheet there that displays each of their lines traits to help you choose the fc line that would best suit you. I do not think that you will be disappointed with SeaGuar.
Old 10-03-10, 11:23 AM   #9
Bender

If you are planning on just using it as a leader I suggest getting actual leader material. Like islandbass said, fluorocarbon lines are tailored to specific applications. The leader material is very stiff, but very strong. The stiffness isn't a factor because you are not trying to keep it wound up on your reel so maximum strength and abrasion resistance is key. Plus it will be cheaper buying leader spools than full 200yd. spools just to make leaders. If you are going to get a full spool of Seaguar you might want to try Carbon Pro since it is pretty strong/stiff.

I don't remember who it was on this site, but they recommended P-Line CFX fluoro leader material. That stuff has been great from my experience and I use it a lot. I've tried the Sufix and couldn't even tie a knot without breaking it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.