Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-12-11, 07:26 PM   #1
bkeenom
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crazy weather, what to do.

We have a tournament this coming weekend on the 19th. Weather has been extremely cold in Oklahoma. 2 days ago we had record lows and most of the state was below zero. Starting today we are going to have a run of 10 days or so in the 70s. I am curios what everyone's thoughts are. I plan to fish deep points. What is the up and down weather going to do to them? Lake is deep, Rocky and has a fairly equal population of small and largemouth bass
bkeenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 07:36 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

shaky head, jigs on drop off points. lipless cranks and deep diving cranks. yo-yo the lipless. my WORTHLESS 2 copperheads. lol.
Old 02-12-11, 07:42 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
We have a tournament this coming weekend on the 19th. Weather has been extremely cold in Oklahoma. 2 days ago we had record lows and most of the state was below zero. Starting today we are going to have a run of 10 days or so in the 70s. I am curios what everyone's thoughts are. I plan to fish deep points. What is the up and down weather going to do to them? Lake is deep, Rocky and has a fairly equal population of small and largemouth bass
I don't know what lake you are fishing but if it fishes anything like Grand Lake I would hit chunk rock, old boat ramps, and shallow flats that are close to deep water, all of this is assuming that the sun will be shining. On Grand I have had a lot of really good early spring days hitting these areas with jigs, slow rolled spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits after the sun has had a chance to beat on them and heat the water up some.
Old 02-12-11, 07:45 PM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
my WORTHLESS 2 copperheads. lol.
Never DUDE, lol You know your stuff pal! Ok, back to your post. Up here in northern Indiana we have frozen lakes all winter, but years when we had a week of weather like that right after ice out the bass have always headed shallow. I can't tell you how many times over the years facing this situation I found bass hugging the shoreline. BIG bass at that. It sounds like the lake your fishing is deeper than ours around here. I think I would try long shallow points near deep water if it were me.

Last edited by keithdog; 02-13-11 at 10:17 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 07:45 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

bkeenom,
I notice that you live down towards Oklahoma City. I don't know if you have heard us talking about it or not but we are having a get together (like the rally's on the other site you are on) on Grand Lake April 28th-May1st. A handful of us members will be there and we are staying at Lees Resort in Elk River. I was wanting to invite you to come and join in and get to know a few of us. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 02-12-11, 09:55 PM   #6
bkeenom
BassFishin.Com Member

I would love to but, Jake and I are Tournament Directors for the OKC Bass Trail. We have a Tournament scheduled for Thunderbird that weekend. I would love to come though. I would spend the entire weekend on that old bridge in the back of Elk River.

Our tournament this weekend is on Murray. Problem with Murray is that it is all rock. Points will be the spot I think and up shallow later in the day.
bkeenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:00 AM   #7
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

well if the next 10 days are going to be in the 70s, that means you should have 5 solid days before the tourney in that temp range. HOPEFULLY that will warm the water up into MAYBE the 50s but i dunno. If it's up there, i would definately be hitting shallow flats that are near deep water, as well as the dropoff from the flat to deep water. Also, i would look on those dropoffs for any kind of structure, ie trees, stumps, brushpiles, and focus on them.

At that temp the males should be up in the shallows scouting the beds and the females should be in a little deeper water going through their pre spawn routine.

But reading your thread i think i understand your question... you're more concerned with the sudden temp jump putting lock jaw on the fish? I dont think you so much have to worry about the temp going up and causing this, as you do when a cold front comes through... not to mention if there are 5 or so solid days of the warmer temps, i dont think it will effect them as much as if it was 1 or 2 random days inbetween cold fronts.
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 02:52 PM   #8
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It all depends on the water temps, look for the usual deep and shallow structure and try to let the fishfinder find some for you. With massive temperature swings like that the bass can usually be found both deep and shallow, depending on the mood of that specific fish. i would target the shallower ones as the ones down deep are still likely in the "not too hungry" mode, BUT if you can get the deeper ones to bite, they will likely be the larger ones.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.