Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-15-04, 06:23 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default Fishing lily pads

I know spring is a long way off!!! My question is when is the time to start fishing pads? Is it too early to expect the bass to be there before they emerge? Or would it be alright to try as soon as possible? I hope this question isn't to off base. Last year I did pretty good around them once they were up. Another question-Should you fish in them or just outside of them as the day progresses for better results. Thanks.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 07:33 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Fishing lily pads

bob what state you fishing?
i would start fishing pads in late febuary to early march. the pads anit up at this time . and a spinnerbait run through them will get some good fish i would work channle edges first then move in shallow.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 09:56 PM   #3
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I have found bass in pad areas before the pads emerge. Where I am, they're there from pre-emergent right through the summer and fall.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 02:08 AM   #4
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker
I live in western Pa. I fish mostly south of Erie PA.
There are a couple of lakes along the western side of the state.
Old 12-16-04, 09:31 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Pads provide cover, therefore anytime IMO. There are better times, such as when the sun is out, and the fish hide under them in the shadows, in the summer, but before they reach the top, they are still underwater growing providing cover, so even before they reach the top where they are visible they will hold fish. Lilly pads always seem to hold fish around here(Indiana), just not a whole lot of them, like in FL :P

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 01:46 PM   #6
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Like LR said, pads hold the food chain. More important in spring, is that mulitple species drive in to spawn much earlier than bass and don't think that only sunnies are there to raid the nests. Whatever species is attracted to partake of the cavier, you can be sure picks and bass are cruising around.

Feeding in general draws a crowd. When white perch spawn, yellow perch and crappie are raiding. When crappie are in spawn, all panfish swarm in. The interesting thing is that the soil that holds pads, is the same that draws the spawners.

In fact, you could say the spring bonanza gets underway a week before plants start to grow in the shallows and well into early summer. Prespawners are very active in and around areas that hold emergent weeds, especially pads. You might make long casts to the flats in only a foot of water and catch very aggressive fish on top and on soft plastics. Hard and soft jerkbaits rule this time of year, as do in-line spinner/big worm combos. I like to split shot 4"/ nosehook sticks and 4" hybrid, fat worms with a fast taper. This profile caught more fish last year than any other that I came up with in the laboratory.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 05:17 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=senkosam link=board=news;num=1103145804;start=0#5 date=12/16/04 at 11:46:02]Like LR said, pads hold the food chain. More important in spring, is that mulitple species drive in to spawn much earlier than bass and don't think that only sunnies are there to raid the nests. Whatever species is attracted to partake of the cavier, you can be sure picks and bass are cruising around.

Feeding in general draws a crowd. When white perch spawn, yellow perch and crappie are raiding. When crappie are in spawn, all panfish swarm in. The interesting thing is that the soil that holds pads, is the same that draws the spawners.

In fact, you could say the spring bonanza gets underway a week before plants start to grow in the shallows and well into early summer. Prespawners are very active in and around areas that hold emergent weeds, especially pads. You might make long casts to the flats in only a foot of water and catch very aggressive fish on top and on soft plastics. Hard and soft jerkbaits rule this time of year, as do in-line spinner/big worm combos. I like to split shot 4"/ nosehook sticks and 4" hybrid, fat worms with a fast taper. This profile caught more fish last year than any other that I came up with in the laboratory.

Sam[/quote]

Any chance I can get you to go into business for a short while, and sell me some of the Baits ??? I truly love the shape and sizes of them, espcially with the tails as in plural 8) I'm very serious if you'd like to take an order I be happy to spend the money with you.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 08:02 PM   #8
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

LR, e-mail me. On a very small scale I might be interested. I sell glitter on my site to fellow lurecrafters, also on a very small scale and find it satisfying that my product is being used to help anglers catch fish.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 08:03 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

oh union city res and i forget the name of the other one on the state line with ohio.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 12-16-04, 08:24 PM   #10
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I'll have to go with the vote of-there is no wrong time to fish them. When they're just stalks, spinnerbaits and ripping a rat-l-trap work well. Once they top out, Senkos, frogs and lizards for the thick areas- spinnerbaits and topwaters for the edges and sparse stuff.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 01:34 AM   #11
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker'

The other lake is Pymatuning. It is more noted for walleye and muskie more so than bass. But this past summer I did ok around the pads after they were up. Mostly on buzz baits and frogs/rats.
Old 12-17-04, 07:19 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

try a zoom horny toad with out weight make sure you check drag and use a wire leader-musky like frogs too.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.