Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-12-05, 10:34 PM   #1
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Help a Newb Please

well i posted this before but it seems like my ID was lost and so was my thread that i posted a couple of days ago. I got emails saying that people had posted in my thread but i never got to read the new posts...

So ill ask my question again. Im 15 years old and im new to fishing. Know litttle to nothing about it. I live near a reservior and have been getting big into fishing lately as i really enjoy it. We are getting a boat in a week. I was just wondering if you could help me with what to use to catch some fish. The reservior is stocked with mostly smallmouth bass and pike. If you could give me any suggestions as to what to use i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
fizzle fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 10:42 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think I posted this link for you-

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

There is a lot of great info for someone getting into bass fishing.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 06:39 AM   #3
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think I also posted something about TikiStiks. They are made by WaveWorms and you can get them @ Walmart for $2.92 per bag(each bag has 10). Yammamoto sells 10 senkos for $6.00 - $7.00 depending on where you live. So for the money you cant beat the tikis! I rig them wieghtless, on a 3/0 EWG hook. My retrieve is simple as anything, cast it out, let it sit for 30 seconds, bounce it or drag it for a quick second or so, then repeat all the way back to boat/shore. Hope this helps. Also, the hook point should be buried in the worm, This way It doesnt snag up.
Another Good rig for them is the wacky rig. I etiher use a baitholder, size 1 or a circle hook size 6. What you do is bend the worm in half, to find the center, then poke the hook point through the center. Then cast it out. It has a very unique fall, so this takes a longer retrieve. Let it sit 30 seconds or MORE, Then bounce your rod tip 3 times, let it sit, and repeat all the way back to the boat.

Good luck and Good Fishin

P.S.- Reb if you can post a pic of the weightless and wacky rig for this guy I would appreciate it.

-PowerBass
Old 07-14-05, 04:10 AM   #4
Bass_fishing_girl

Send a message via Yahoo to Bass_fishing_girl

Hi, Welcome to the site!!

Sandra

Give us this day our daily limit :D
Bass_fishing_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 12:43 PM   #5
Unregistered

Thanks, its been a pleasure so far, you guys are all really helpful.
Old 07-14-05, 01:38 PM   #6
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

I was just looking on ebay for some cheap lures and i ran accross this and i was wondering if you could tell me they will actually work.

fizzle fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 02:14 PM   #7
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If im not mistaken those are jigs! never used them before but I know they work! Might wanna run it by one of the more experienced fishermen on this site for confrimation though!
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 06:00 PM   #8
Marty

Both smallies and pike will take a huge variety of lures. The hard part will be finding the fish. Spinnerbaits, cranks, topwaters, jigs, soft plastics and others all work very well. My biggest pike and smallie were both taken on a Jitterbug.

Pike can and will cut your line with their teeth. You have to decide whether to use a metal leader to prevent this or risk losing your lure and having a pike swimming around with a lure in its mouth.

Good luck.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 06:18 PM   #9
TR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TR

Wellcome aboard! Star out with live bait, like nightcrawlers or shiner minnows. Catch some fish first, and then you may want to try some plastic works and a spinnerbait. Good Luck!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.