Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-26-05, 10:19 PM   #1
smalltcklebox
BassFishin.Com Member

Default jigging in shallow water

ive gotten a black and blue jig from Wal-mart and was curious on how to fish it.seen on tv being used while flipping. new 2 fishin and cant get flippin down. my lake is 2.5 acres with little cover and 90% of water 5ft and under.deepest part is 10 ft on one side so don't know if jig will work effectively. caught 9lb bass last year and caught couple of 5lbs this year.any tips would be great. in alabama and temps bout 90 degrees this time of year. thanx

Last edited by smalltcklebox; 07-26-05 at 11:18 PM.
smalltcklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 04:07 PM   #2
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

A jig will work anywhere, anytime.It may not be what the majority of fish want for the day, but none the less, it will still catch you a few fish every time out.Just tie in on impale a trailer on it and get it in a body of water that has fish in it.You can fish it like you would a worm, or you can hop it along the bottom, or pitch it to objects in the water, let it sit a few seconds and cast to a different target. What I am trying to say is there is no certain way to fish a jig. P N J
Old 07-27-05, 04:22 PM   #3
Chiefton
BassFishin.Com Member

I just recently bought some jigs to try out as well. I got some pork trailers and put one on a jig. It doesn't seem to stay in place like trailers I use on a spinner bait. The pork trailer always ends up in the U shape of the hook, which I don't think is where it is supposed to be. Not sure what the problem is. Also, do you want to use a Heavy rod and line for jigging?
Chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 04:34 PM   #4
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Cheifton, That is why I do not use pork trailers, they are pre punched so your pork trailer will spin 360 degrees on the hook shank.This allows the trailer to get in front of the hook point some times allowing you to miss a fish. I use plastic trailers and thread it on a hook through the chunk like you thread a plastic worm.This keeps the chunk from spinning in front of the hook point.I like to use a Medium Heavy rod with at least 14lb mono line.Anything less than 14 lb test line, will not get the good hookset, or get you in trouble if it wraps around surrounding cover.I hope this helps. P N J
Old 07-27-05, 04:43 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pnj

360 degrees?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-05, 05:51 PM   #6
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Jb, Pork trailers have a prepunched hole in them through the chunk part.When you run the hook through the prepunched hole, it sits at the round bend part of the hook. There is nothing to prevent the trailer from spinning in any direction on the hook shank.360 degrees is one complete spin on the hook shank , when the trailer is in exactly the same postion it was before turning one complete turn on the hook shank.If it turn half way that would be 180 degrees, the trailer legs would be in the opposite direction of where it was before it turned on the hook shank.Once you reuse a pork trailer it spins more easily because the prepunched hole is getting larger as it is taken off and put back on the jig.Sometimes they will spin in between the hookpoint and the fishes mouth so you don't hook the fish.P N J
Old 07-27-05, 06:54 PM   #7
Chiefton
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I didn't care for them too much. I also got some of the plastic trailers, will give them a shot. The pork ones just looked like they would work better, but apparently not.
Chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 10:33 AM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Try This. Thread The Pig Or The Plastic Trailer Or Hook It On, Makes No Difference. Get Some Fishing Glue Or Crazy Glue And. Put A Decent Sized Chunk Of Glue At Both Ends Of The Hole. It Will Hold The Pork Or The Plastic Trailer In Place. I Can Say That I Have Never Had A Problem With It Coming Off. Or Even Moving At All On The Hook. Maybe It Wont Work For You But It Is Golden For Me.
Old 07-28-05, 10:42 AM   #9
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

They hold on longer with pork but you will miss a fish here and there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.