Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-08, 07:38 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default line winding technique question

For years I have taken my spinning reels to Gander Mountain or some other store who winds line on reels via machine. I've done this because I never seem to be able to spool up new line on my spinning reels without getting lots of line twist. I'd really like to do it myself as taking the reels into the store to have it done is not convenient. On top of that, BPS wound my spinning reels last year and I swear the line twist was worse than when I did it myself. Any tips as to how to wind line on a spinning reel without line twist?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 07:49 PM   #2
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Buy a Berkley line winding station. I have the style that does NOT look like a box, it just has the heavy wire to hold the spool. I actually enjoy spooling reels now. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but if you take a little time to set it up right for a given line/reel/spool, it will work well. I use it for both spinning and baitcasting reels. If you are puting line on a spinning reel that has some memory, you will still get some memory/twisting issues, but nothing a couple long casts won't take care of.
Fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 07:59 PM   #3
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

You can either...

a) Set the line half-way through a dictionary to apply tension and wind...

b) Have someone stick a pencil through the spool and hold the pencil whilst you wind..... -or-

c) Set the spool on the ground and hold the line above the reel with your fingers to apply tension while winding.

-Lunk-
Old 02-10-08, 09:29 PM   #4
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I also have a Berkley line winding station. Best $20.00 I've ever spent. I was at a local fishing open house a couple of weekends. Kevin Wirth was one of the Pro's speaking at the open house. Someone asked him how he winds line on his spinning gear without getting the line all twisted up. He said he starts out by putting the spool on the floor or table label up. He winds on a little bit of line and then opens the bail. If the line comes flying off of the spool he backs off the line and then flips over the line spool on it's back side. Reels on some more line and opens the bail again to make sure it's not twisted. He just keeps checking it until he's got his reel filled up. The other thing he will do to get the line really buttoned down on the reel is pull some line off against the drag. Apparently the line sometimes gets twisted in the process of putting it on the spool for packaging. It's pretty much a crap shoot to figure out which way to have the spool facing when your putting it on your reel and you may have to flip it over several times.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 09:39 PM   #5
Marty

It goes without saying that a spinning-friendly line should be used, that is, one with low memory.

The old conventional way is to lay the spool flat on the floor such that the line comes off counterclockwise. The reason for that is because the line goes on the reel clockwise and coming off the supply spool counterclockwise partially cancels out the clockwise twist. If you ever hear that the spool should be on the floor with the label up (or down), ignore it.

Reels with anti-twist line rollers have instructions that say you should spool like a baitcaster, with the supply spool in an up-and-down position with a pencil through the hole. Both methods have worked for me with this type of reel. If in doubt, use use the first method.

I've never tried a spooling station or similar device.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 01:30 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

i will start spooling with the spool of line laying flat on the floor. after i have reeled a little line on i will flip the spool over and add some more. i usually will flip the spool about 4 times per reel. also use reel magic or kvd line conditioner it helps a lot with memory.
Old 02-11-08, 05:13 AM   #7
islandbass

Good advice. What kind of reel do you have? If you have a Shimano Symetre or better, you can spool up your reel directly just as you would a baitcaster. I imagine Daiwas in the same classes could be done that way too.
Old 02-11-08, 08:03 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have never seemed to have a problem with line twist on a spinning reel except for after lots of use and when I got it spooled at Cabela's. I Use the phonebook method and really don't pay atention to which way the spool is. Also, line choice playes a big part too. I use Stren Original Mono and have never had any problems.

BB
Old 02-11-08, 10:26 AM   #9
keithdog

The reel islandbass is a Daiwa Regal si. But I also have and older Shakespear and Garcia Cardinal. The line I had put on my Daiwa last was the P Line Evolution, which I hated with a passion after one trip out. I had that line on a couple bait casters and didn't like it at all. While I have trouble with line twist on my other spinning reels, it seems worse with the Daiwa Regal. Maybe it's the reel more than anything else. I've read about laying the filler spool on the floor and filling the reels spool that way, however I believe there is a trick to it depending on which way the bail turns when you feel in the line. Marty addressed that. As far as using the Berkly line winding station, does it provide the correct tension as you wind the line onto your reel or do you have to run it through your fingers as you reel on the line? This question only pertains to spinning reels. I have no problem putting line on casting reels.
Old 02-11-08, 11:55 AM   #10
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
As far as using the Berkly line winding station, does it provide the correct tension as you wind the line onto your reel or do you have to run it through your fingers as you reel on the line? This question only pertains to spinning reels. I have no problem putting line on casting reels.
I don't know about the one that looks like a box, but the one I have has manually adjustable tension. The one collar gets put on, then the spool, then the other collar. Both collars are about 1.5 inches long. One end is the screw clamp, the other end is a taper for the spool. Inbetween is a spring. Force one collar into the spool, which in turn also forces it into the other collar. The more pressure you put on the collar, the more tension you get. If you push hard enough, you can over power most reel drags if you wanted too.
Fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 07:55 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Keith, if you are fishing ouit of a boat just let the line trail behind as you run. If not, once you have it spooled on open the bail, grab the tag end and walk off 2-3 long casts worth, then wind it back on. It will untwist as it comes through your fingers.
Old 02-12-08, 04:49 AM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
The reel islandbass is a Daiwa Regal si. But I also have and older Shakespear and Garcia Cardinal. The line I had put on my Daiwa last was the P Line Evolution, which I hated with a passion after one trip out. I had that line on a couple bait casters and didn't like it at all. While I have trouble with line twist on my other spinning reels, it seems worse with the Daiwa Regal. Maybe it's the reel more than anything else. I've read about laying the filler spool on the floor and filling the reels spool that way, however I believe there is a trick to it depending on which way the bail turns when you feel in the line. Marty addressed that. As far as using the Berkly line winding station, does it provide the correct tension as you wind the line onto your reel or do you have to run it through your fingers as you reel on the line? This question only pertains to spinning reels. I have no problem putting line on casting reels.
I think you should try directly spooling anyway. I do it with my rapala and even my lowly abu g cardinal and with no ill effects. I would get a spooling station or make one as they showed in a recent bassmasters magazine. It makes it easier and faster. And don't worry about adding tension to the line. This is easily address with a phone book or BPS catalog.

One last thing... When I spool a spinning reel, I make sure the drag is set tightly enough so that I will never hear that clicking sound when the handle is cranked. I have been told that turning the handle when line isn't being laid onto the spool twists the line. Hope someone can confirm this, but I guard against it because I'd rather not find out when I'm out fishing. if it really twists the line.
Old 02-12-08, 10:28 AM   #13
keithdog

I recieved an email from Trilene about winding line on a spinning reel in which they say to lay the spool on the floor as others here have said. Run the line through the rod guides and tie to the spool. The line they say should come off the spool the same dirrection it is going onto the reels spool. They mention running the line through your fingers as it is reeled onto the reels spool to keep tention on it. They mention to wind a few turns of line onto the reel and then to stop and open the reel bail to see if the slack line looks twisted. If so, then turn the filler spool over and resume. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
Old 02-12-08, 12:08 PM   #14
bassnman30

When I have a twist in my line, I tie it off to a nail or something that has no give and walk untill it gets tight appx. 100 yds. Then I set the rod down and go back and untie from the line from the nail. Then I retrieve the line on to my reel and that solves my twist problem. Stupid idea but it works !
Old 02-12-08, 03:26 PM   #15
Mac10

Most reels wind on the line going counter-clockwise.....not a hard and fast rule however. Rebbasser's idea about putting on the line, then running it off the reel going down the lake at a medium pace works the best for me. On new line, after the initial winding, I do it two times on the water trolling the fully extended line for a couple minutes each time.....have very few problems after that....just making sure to hold the line between thumb and finger when winding in each time.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 10:21 AM   #16
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i will start spooling with the spool of line laying flat on the floor. after i have reeled a little line on i will flip the spool over and add some more. i usually will flip the spool about 4 times per reel. also use reel magic or kvd line conditioner it helps a lot with memory.

I do the same thing, even with Braided line, on my spinning reels. If you watch the line as you are spooling it on, it will start to twist a little tighter as you go. That is the signal to stop and flip the spool over (on the floor). Then go until to see the line starting to twist again. With mono, I go one step further... After spooling my reel, then I take it outside and walk down the street and tie to one of neighbors mailboxes or trees and walk back to my house, paying out line all the way back. Then I go and cut the line loose from the tree or mailbox, go back and pick up my R & R and start reeling it back in (pinching the line between my thumb and finger). What this does and remove the rest of the twists out of the line and help it lay smoother on the reel.

If you see the line starting to twist while fishing, cut off your bait and pay out the a good bit of the line with out anything on it. It will uncoil itself and eliminate frustration for a little while longer.

Finally, note to one's self... read the entire thread before posting a reply!! You guys covered everything I just said! DDUUHHH!
Old 02-13-08, 10:30 AM   #17
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Best way I have found to eliminate twist on a spinning reel is to use braid and not mono!
Old 02-13-08, 11:15 PM   #18
Rebbasser

Braid will still twist, it is just a lot more forgiving than mono.
Old 02-14-08, 10:31 AM   #19
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Braid will still twist, it is just a lot more forgiving than mono.
I agree, I've had it actually wad up on me a couple of times. Compared to Mono or flouro, it's almost like it never happens though! The trick is to pay it out without any weight and let it unravel every now and again.

Last edited by Bob Smith; 02-14-08 at 10:32 AM. Reason: "I before e, except after c"
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.