Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Poll: Which swimbait?
Poll Options
Which swimbait?

Old 03-19-09, 03:38 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 6" hudd, BBZ-1 4 incher, or the Tru-tungsten 4 incher??

Hey fellas!

What swimbait will catch me more fish? I'm new to swimbaits, I'll be getting my first this weekend! For a starter bait, I don't wanna go over 20.00! So I'll looking into these 3 swimbaits:

6" hudd
BBZ-1 4 incher
and the Tru-tungsten 4 incher

Out of the 3 of them, what do you catch more fish on?
What do you catch the biggest fish on?
What do you catch the least amount fish on?
What do you think has the best action of the 4" baits?
What is best of the three for someone just starting to get into swimbaits?
Which has the best hook-up ration?
Is the spro fast sink good for all depths other than top?
If I get the spro, what sink rate is the more versatile?
What's best for a shore angler?
How well do the tails stay on the spro?
Which is the most versatile of the 3?
And you can answer this one if you want to:
What's the biggest fish you've caught on each?

If it's not to much to ask, please answer them form greatest to least.... for example

"I catch more fish on the spro swimbait, than tru tungsten, than the hudd."

Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-09, 04:17 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Hudd design is a proven fish catcher so IŽd go with the 6 inch huddy.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 04:38 PM   #3
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the bbz 1 is a good one to start with...easy to cast, comes in any color u will want, comes in 3 diff. models, good hook up ratio, CRAZY action in the water, and catches fish.

good luck
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 04:54 PM   #4
JB

I throw five and a half or six inch swimbaits and If you're new to it ya may try storm swimbaits if money is an issue, if not then any of the ones listed are fine.
I thought two years ago when I started swim bait fishing I'd let it go to the bottom and hop it back, but actually I just throw them in same mannor as any crankbait..what surprised denny and me was we got bite within the first few hours of throwing them.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 05:33 PM   #5
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I catch more fish on the Tru-tungsten, the hudd catchs the bigger fish for me but fewer bites than the other two but dont be surprised when you catch a 2lber with it all the way in the back of it's throat,I think the TT has the best action, you can reel it SLOW and it will kick great,the TT I think has the best hook up ratio(2 hooks), the TT is a better one for starter's too and it comes in bunch of colors, I think the slow fall on both baits is the most versitle, the TT is better for the shore angler, you can take it to both ponds and lakes and catch fish on it, and have caught fish at least 5 pounds with all of them, and the TT & Spro are great for schooling fish
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 08:27 AM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I throw five and a half or six inch swimbaits and If you're new to it ya may try storm swimbaits if money is an issue, if not then any of the ones listed are fine.
I thought two years ago when I started swim bait fishing I'd let it go to the bottom and hop it back, but actually I just throw them in same mannor as any crankbait..what surprised denny and me was we got bite within the first few hours of throwing them.

I got a kinckin' tail storm crank/swimbait. They're not bad!

But all the other storm swimbaits I've got are not so good!

What luck! the BBZ-1, the hudds, and the Tru-tungsten just went on sale at tackle warehouse!
Old 03-20-09, 09:38 AM   #7
swimbaitkid

they are having a good sale on bunch of stuff, next week I might have to stock up my swimbait collection, I want to get one of the 7in TT bluegill's, I saw them at the classic and they really not as big as I thought they were
Old 03-20-09, 09:42 AM   #8
CMorg

I just wish spro had some better colors. I think TT is alot better. I just ordered 1 each of the 4" tru tungsten bluegill pattern.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:32 AM   #9
Bassboss

Hey fellers!

I posted this on two other forums, one of which is a swimbait forum (swimbait nation), so far people are saying to go with the BBZ on other forums, and the poll here says the same thing (wanna cast a vote CM?). So you guys are gonna have to post of pics of you TT fish to get to thinkin' other wise! So far I'm going with the BBZ, but I will get bother sooner than later. When I get my dad to buy the stuff on line with his C-card (I'm giving him cash for it) his bait monkey my give him a tap on the shoulder and he'll get the TT, happened last time I bought something on line, so I'll see what happens!
Old 03-20-09, 01:26 PM   #10
cassidyta

I think you are good with the BBZ as a first swim bait. Once you use it you will find that a 4 inch bait is not big at all. I personally like the action on the BBZ better than the TT. The TT works best for me in situations where I need a very slow presentation (almost dead sticking)
If you are really looking at blue gill swim baits, check out Mattlures.com. His ultimate blue gill is the best on the market. I only have one of the hard bodied gills, but like it a lot.
Old 03-20-09, 01:36 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I think you are good with the BBZ as a first swim bait. Once you use it you will find that a 4 inch bait is not big at all. I personally like the action on the BBZ better than the TT. The TT works best for me in situations where I need a very slow presentation (almost dead sticking)
If you are really looking at blue gill swim baits, check out Mattlures.com. His ultimate blue gill is the best on the market. I only have one of the hard bodied gills, but like it a lot.
thanks cass,

I've seen Mat's blue gill swimbaits! They look amazing!

I think I get the BBZ, after I get the BBZ I will get the TT though!
Old 03-20-09, 01:58 PM   #12
Panthrosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I got a kinckin' tail storm crank/swimbait. They're not bad!

But all the other storm swimbaits I've got are not so good!

What luck! the BBZ-1, the hudds, and the Tru-tungsten just went on sale at tackle warehouse!
I hate you lol. You unleashed my inner Bait Monkey and I am now up to $120 on my order and I haven't even gotten out of the clearance section lol.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 04:01 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthrosan View Post
I hate you lol. You unleashed my inner Bait Monkey and I am now up to $120 on my order and I haven't even gotten out of the clearance section lol.
lol! Sorry... I think!
Old 03-20-09, 06:18 PM   #14
Bassboss

Well, the spro's in the mail! Blue back color, slow sink! My dad seems huffed up about it too, he says if it works he's gonna get one too!

Wish we luck!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-20-09 at 06:59 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 07:06 PM   #15
swimbaitkid

If there are blue backs where you live it will catch fish, what lakes do you fish?
Old 03-20-09, 09:27 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
If there are blue backs where you live it will catch fish, what lakes do you fish?
No lakes!

You know about lake Okeechobee right? Well, back in the the early 90's they mad big canals running form lake O to the ocean. I fish those a lot now!

Here's the pics:

The primary bait fish are thread fin shad, and blue gill. That's on reason I got the BBZ! Can't wait to use it!!!

And imo it looks more like a thread fin than a BB herring:

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-20-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-21-09, 03:31 AM   #17
CCbass

Only fished a swimmbait once with a friend that loved them, caught nothing. Fished what I wanted the same day caught some good fish, the reality is they work for some, me I can catch more on other lures. So if you believe in them use them, me... I will in fact never have them as a go to bass catching lure. This is just my thought.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 08:43 PM   #18
aikenyounggun

big fish- hudd
best action- TT i have seen swimbaits
most versaltile -TT (two sink rates)
if i had to get the BBZ- i would get slow sink.... you can always add weight strips
Old 03-21-09, 08:47 PM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
big fish- hudd
best action- TT i have seen swimbaits
most versaltile -TT (two sink rates)
if i had to get the BBZ- i would get slow sink.... you can always add weight strips
Ya, I'll also get a TT. Probably in about a month or so.

Thanks, I forgot about weight strips!
Old 03-21-09, 10:01 PM   #20
Panthrosan

In true Bait Monkey fashion, I got one of each......for proper evaluation Got the Baby Bass and Bluegill colors, and natural Shad colors. Some are backordered so it may take some time to get them but the price and free shipping was worth it.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 07:35 AM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthrosan View Post
In true Bait Monkey fashion, I got one of each......for proper evaluation Got the Baby Bass and Bluegill colors, and natural Shad colors. Some are backordered so it may take some time to get them but the price and free shipping was worth it.
In true monkey fashion indeed!
Old 03-23-09, 08:06 PM   #22
Bassboss

WOW! It came fast! Much faster than it would from tackle warehouse.

It did come... but, when I was admiring it, looking at all the impressive details , I came to the bottom of the bait, on the neck of the bait I found one MAJOR flaw! My dad ordered a floater!

But hey, I'm happy!

He said once gets his pay check, he'll order the slow sinker I wanted, no cash off my back! I'm happy as a lark (what's ever that is)! I asked if I could get the TT rather than the bbz, he said that I couldn't. Wouldn't say why?

Oh well, I'll get to use it this weekend and check out the action of the "best wake bait ever!"

It should also be a good salt water lure, I bet snook would tear it up, and jack, and blue fish at faster speeds!

btw I measured it (lol, the bbz-1 shad for crying out load) .... 4 1/2"

Wish me look fellers!

here's a pic if any one wants one... it looks much better in person I must say

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-23-09 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 08:00 PM   #23
Bassboss

I went to test it out to day in a little pond for a half a half hour! The action on the bbz-1 was awesome! Much better lookin' wake bait the strike king wake shad! It wobbles at the slightest movement! The pond I when to I have never caught a bass of 2lbs in the pond, so I was not expecting to get a bite, and did not. But I never got so many followers in my life!! I got a few little one to swipe at it; none of them ate it at all though. after I saw the action on it, I fished a yum dinger for a little while, caught bass, super small though one on that, always do!

Anyways, we have spring break staring at the end of Thursday! I hope I'll go fishing on Friday, I know that I'll go though, and I know I'll get something on it though
Old 03-24-09, 09:43 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've got a BBZ and want to get a couple more and try a TT. I'm glad they're finally making 4" swimbaits. I can't wait to try them out this summer.

BB
Old 03-25-09, 08:27 AM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've got a BBZ and want to get a couple more and try a TT. I'm glad they're finally making 4" swimbaits. I can't wait to try them out this summer.

BB
Thanks BB! Do you have all the models?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.