Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-27-11, 09:38 PM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spike it dye

How many guys on here use spike it dye? Or any other kind of dye? I heard that dipping just the tip of a craw, worm, lizard ect... in some chartruse can really help the bass see it in the water. Do any of you use it? If so how?
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 10:11 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use JJ's Magic for dipping my baits. It has an incredibly strong garlic odor and comes in clear as well as the usual colors. I do think it helps a little to put just a little chartruese on the very tips of baits.
Old 07-27-11, 10:38 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I bought some a few years ago, but I have never used it. Do you tend to use this in clearer water? I seldom think about it when I am on the water. But with my new smart phone, I might have to put a reminder in next time hahahahaha.
Old 07-27-11, 11:08 PM   #4
Tavery5

Bubba, I do tend to use it in clearer water, it seems to me to work best where there are bluegill and green sunfish. I think the small amount on chartruese kind of mimics the colors on the ends of the fins of these fish. JJ's has a very powerfull odor and I think it helps mask any odors left on the baits from your hands. It does seem to work in my opinon.
Old 07-28-11, 06:32 AM   #5
Mumpy

I just purchased some of JJ's Magic Chartreuse Garlic Scent and used it on my Senkos this past weekend. I was doing exactly what Tavery is mentioning. I would take the VERY TIP of the tail and dip it to give me like just a spot of Chartreuse Color and Sent to boot.

I say spot, I guess the dye was about 1/4" up on the tail.
Old 07-28-11, 08:12 AM   #6
bassboogieman

I rarely use it, but my fishing partner does - and I've got the stains in the rear deck carpet to prove it. I only use the chartruse dye occasionaly to do the tails of white baits primarilly. It's easier for me to buy white baits and dye them as required, rather than also buying white/chartruse baits and I can use a little or as much dye as I want.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 09:51 AM   #7
mrmuskie5

I use spike it in chartruese to dye the tips of watermelon speedcraws that i use for trailers on my bluegill pattern swimjigs. The little extra detail makes all the difference in the world sometimes. Ive caught 5 to 1 to my buddy when he didnt know i was tipping lol.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:58 AM   #8
DaveW731

I use the Spike it felt pens. Lots easier to work with than the liquid, still has the garlic scent. I also use a blue color on top of a chartruese color plastic if I want to immitate a bluegill fin as closely as possible.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 11:47 AM   #9
vafishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vafishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
I use the Spike it felt pens. Lots easier to work with than the liquid, still has the garlic scent. I also use a blue color on top of a chartruese color plastic if I want to immitate a bluegill fin as closely as possible.
I use the same things here when fishing the tidal rivers in Virginia. Definitely seems to up my strikes. Noticed too that when seeing crawfish that get regurgitated in my livewell the tips of the claws are oftern orangey or yellowish so think that might be why it makes a difference.
vafishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 02:17 PM   #10
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Dave on the pen.Look at the tails of sunnys in shallow water,especially in the spring time;they are chartreuse.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 05:07 PM   #11
Tavery5

The pens are very convenient and probably a little easier to use, but they have no where near the scent that JJ's produces. To me they smell more like a magic marker than garlic.
Old 07-30-11, 01:40 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
The pens are very convenient and probably a little easier to use, but they have no where near the scent that JJ's produces. To me they smell more like a magic marker than garlic.
Doesn't JJ's smell great" LOL! I have a bottle of each color as well as the clear that JJ sent me when I was still running the jig company. He told me on the phone not to open the stuff inside because of the smell but I thought he was just being a salesman and trying to make it sound better than it was. With God as my witness I opened it in the kitchen and took a big wiff. My eyes instantly started watering, I got the worst headache I have ever had and I was bent over the sink trying to puke. I had no idea that they could make a garlic scent that was that strong. In fact it almost doesn't smell like garlic until it gets on a bait because it is so concentrated in the bottle. But it works better than any scent I have ever used and it will stay on a bait for literally weeks. I had it on a jig trailer one day and caught a few fish on it and then put it on the rod locker when I was done. It was like a week or so before I went again and it still smelled just as strong as it did when I put it on, I didn't throw a jig that day and a week or so later I finally used the jig again and the trailer still smelled like garlic. That stuff is awesome but if you chew like I do be sure you use your non dipping hand to add the scent because if you don't then every dip you take the rest of the day will taste like garlic bread lol.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 11:52 AM   #13
Tavery5

I had him send me a couple bottles of clear in the mail. God as my witness, when the package arrived it was in a small box that had been placed in the mailbox. When you stepped on the front porch, you could smell it. I am like you, I had no idea that it was possible to make anything with that potent of a garlic scent.
Old 07-30-11, 01:23 PM   #14
bamabassman

i'll dip my punkinseed lizzards and worms in chartruse spike it. jsut don't leave them in there for very long, they'll melt and fall off.
Old 07-30-11, 07:33 PM   #15
66KingFisher

I have a bottle of the garlic flavored SpikeIt......It colors most plastics well, but not all...Some plastics seemed untouched by it.....The odor is quite strong but as for whether or not it helped me catch fish?....I can't say.....not a noticable difference that I've been able to tell.....I personally get better results from another fish scent that I use.....but I would like to try their pens as the bottles can be a bit of pain to deal with on the water.
Old 07-30-11, 10:53 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

I don't know if it is still on the market or not but there used to be a scent called Ultrabite and I really believed in it. I don't have a good reason for why I quit using it other than it came in a squeeze bottle that caused a heck of a mess in the boat. I believe that I hear a while back that they now have a spray which would be a lot better. If you can find it you might want to give it a shot.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 04:00 PM   #17
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

I have all the colors of Spike-It! but rarely use the yellow. I like the red on finese and trick worms. and yum money craws
Old 08-06-11, 04:05 PM   #18
BigBurlyBass

Well thanks for the help guys I will be getting a chartreuse spike it felt pen, and maybe some clear JJ's. Thanks again!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.