Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-25-07, 01:12 PM   #1
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spooky Fish

I fished a two day tournament on a local lake over the weekend. Didnt have much luck at all. Saw a lot of fish (including one BIG one) but could get them to hit anything. Any suggestions on getting really spooky fish to bite. Everytime something would come near one it would dart off. They were not on the beds yet. The water was pretty clear at that end of the lake. I tried everything I could to get them to bite w/o any luck. Any suggestions?
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 01:17 PM   #2
bassbooger

If you were close enough to see them, then that means they saw you and you aren't going to catch anything that can see you hardly. You should have backed up out of view and casted past them and brought what you were offering through them. Patience is the key on bass that are acting like that.
Old 04-25-07, 01:46 PM   #3
BassinBandit

Well see thats what we did. When we saw them we backed off and actually left them and came back a few hours later but still no luck. A lot of other fisherman kept having the same issue on the lake.
Old 04-25-07, 03:39 PM   #4
jwallbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jwallbassin

Im not sure if flys are legal in tournaments but i know if i cant get a bass to hit what im fishin with if i put a slow sinkin fly infront of it it will hit it just about every time! What were you fishin with?
jwallbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 05:33 PM   #5
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

it was clear so you might want to downsize your lure. also,using fluoro in clear waters helps a lot. what were you using? try a tube or worm right in front of her.then there comes the weather... was there a cold front moving in? you cant foget the weather... perhaps they just dont like what they are seeing. you just have to keep trying.
Old 04-25-07, 05:57 PM   #6
Zach_BassFisherman

i agree with senko, i like to downsize my lure in clear water. and make sure that u arent making to much noise on the cast. and keep casting pass them and reel to them, that is the key.
Old 04-25-07, 11:23 PM   #7
hackattack

wear camo and throw a tail-weighted centipede on 6 lb. line.
no joke camo will help.
also, use a push-pole and NOT your trolling motor. It is usually a combination of lots of things that spooks fish. assess all of them.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 11:44 PM   #8
OUTLAW

Always pay attention where the sun is,Do not cast a shadow.Coast in,They can hear a motor many moons away.Feather your cast,before it hits the water.

BOOyAA
OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 09:10 AM   #9
BassinBandit

Yeah we were pretty quiet. We tried to stay off the motor as much as possible. It was also a bluebird day. We tried just about everything (except for the fly which I might try) We even tried running crankbaits by them after everything else had failed. There wasn't any cold weather comming in but we just got over some last week to so that might have done it as well.
Old 04-26-07, 06:31 PM   #10
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yeah even following a cold frontwill do the trick. try using a spinnerbait; bulge it on th surface,slow roll it, rip it off of the bottom,stop and go helicopter... you name it. iall of those techniques have produced fish for me when the going gets rough
Old 04-27-07, 05:12 AM   #11
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

My experience is on a very pressured lake in the spring. We see those kinda fish a lot. One thing that works is to put a lure in the general area you have seen the fish, set it on bottom. Then back WAY off - where you don't have a chance to see them; and they don't have a chance to see you...and just let it sit there and soak. If it's clear and calm, something small and subtle. If it's muddy or windy, something bigger and heavier. But just leave it there Man. My son, (Jolly) has caught several big fish this way. His best fish with this tactic is a 9lber that he caught leaving a slugo for a good 15 or 20min. - just sitting there. I believe it's called dead-sticking. Or 10min. getting your backlash out, or 15 min. looking for your good pliers...or whatever it takes to let it soak. It works.
God Bless.
Old 04-30-07, 04:02 PM   #12
BassinBandit

That is an awesome idea. I will definitly try that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.