Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-05-07, 01:19 PM   #1
hit&miss
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Where are the fish?

A little background. I live in eastern NC and am landlocked, no boat. Generally fish golf course ponds, some small lakes that I can get to the bank and the Pamlico river. The weather has real unpredictable. It could be 28 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon. The bass don't know if it's winter or spring! The question is where are the bass? I've tried high, low, banks, further out. I've tried all kinds of lures, fast and slow. Lately I've been throwing a slug go or a bitsy bug jig. I like the slug go because you can work it on top or let it drop and jerk it or let it go all the way to the bottom, the hole water column. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated. Sorry for being so long winded.
hit&miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 01:34 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum...bass this time of year usually stay deep and on warm days like we have been experiencing you can hunt for them in the warmest parts of the afternoon...probably from 2-4 pm, look for shallow water that is very close to very deep water...slow moving reaction baits like crankbait, spinnerbait, worm or jig will produce...you really have to slow down...in this weather they move from deep to shallow and back again.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 07:45 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

they usually stay in the water, but sometimes they like to jump out to catch a breath of air

With weather patterns you described, fish will be deep on structure and deep on cover for the majority of daylight hours and will move up to shallower(remember, depth talk is all relative) waters during the warmest parts of winter days which are usually from 1-4 PM. Think of it as the fish sunning themselves and trying to catch all that warmth they can while the gettin is good. SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW fishing and going into their habitat is the way to do it this time of year. You gotta put it on em because they are not gonna move very far or very fast.

Think of the same kinda principles you'd use on a bedding fish...keep hittin em in the head until they get mad. You gotta do the same thing now(figuratively speaking) only a whole lot slower.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 09:49 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cranks are working but it is WORK right now bass fishing is not easy..

zooker
Old 01-05-07, 09:51 PM   #5
hit&miss
BassFishin.Com Member

No kidding! There are days I would settle for bites and no hook ups.
Old 01-06-07, 01:52 AM   #6
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

maybe I just have them figured out but this winter has been awesome.....the weather is super for this time of the year and I have been getting a limit on all my home lakes all the time when I am going out....that uh tournament wasn't on a lake I fished but once before...lol.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 01:53 AM   #7
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am finding them shallow water next to deep....senkos wacky...spinnerbaits it gets windy and the dropshot any other time...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 10:57 AM   #8
gangsta34
BassFishin.Com Member

off of rocks in water with medium depth there's usually fish...thats where i catch most of mine
gangsta34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 10:19 PM   #9
Super Fluke
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The weather has been funky on the east coast because of global warming and el ninio. Some are probly in the per-spaw mood, and some are probly in the winter mood.
Old 01-08-07, 05:01 PM   #10
hit&miss
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys! With the weather so warm this past weekend the bass were a little more active. One 3lb. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-07, 05:25 PM   #11
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

i say...NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!...they are there....you just have to be patient....if you throw them a bait...they will come......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.