Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-14-07, 05:00 PM   #1
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default new technique?

fellas, i thought about something. Not sure if it's a new idea though. I'm thinking about using a jerkbait or crankbait in a perch or bluegill pattern and tying about 6" behind a jig or other small plastic bottom hugging bait. Very similar to a c-rig, but I'm thinking the short line will make the jerkbait/crankbait appear to be nose down (and about to eat) the plastic or jig. This also may work with swimming a grub with a crank/jerkbait. It will look like a bluegill in hot persuit of bait. What do you think?
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 06:02 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That idea was featured in the 1994 bassmasters magazine..my buddy Tony really tried many techniques with a 1/8 th ounce or light with a leader of about 15-18 inches on many style lures, popR, crankbait and jerkbait..
He did catch a few on it...
Your biggest obstacle is the leader line from big lure to the jig sometimes gets wrapped up in your main line...try it sometime!...it tells me the fish want a smaller bait if they hit the crappie size jig..
What we found out was that anything heaving than a crappie jib/tube would pull the lure down or make it ineffective ...such as a popR that is sinking due to much jig weight behind it...
As always, if we never did experiment with tackle, we 'd never find that edge that can come in handy when the chips are down.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 06:09 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am thinking it would work, but you might lose the fish due to the weight of the crankbait, or jerkbait leverage against the jig weight. I would try a carolina weight that can slide freely rather than a jig.You would want to sweep the rod on the hookset as you would a carolina rig, but I figured you already knew that. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:03 PM   #4
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Some of the locals that fish a lake around here, c-rig tiny rapalas w/ a 1/16-1/6 oz weight, for panfish. I imagine you could do the same for bass.....
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:30 PM   #5
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks guys. JB, i know the jerkbait on the c-rig has been around along time, i'm talkin about using a leader of only 6" max. making the jerkbait appear to be aggressive towards the jig/grub...is that what you tried? PNJ, you're probably right about the leverage and slinging the bait loose, since the leader is so short. But the rig is set up exactly like the c-rig, complete with swivel. The jig still slides up the line, just like the c-rig weight would. YOu just run the line through the eye...without tying it. I've used that for years, works just as well...if you think about it, it's nearly the exact same outcome. Again, thanks fellas
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.