Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-02-07, 09:32 PM   #1
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Carolina rig

How do you guys make a Carolina rig?I got some swivels,weights,and beads but I think maybe I should get heavier weights.I have 1/8 oz.weights should I get 3/4 or 1oz.weights?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 09:36 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Definitely bigger weights. I don't throw a C-rig with less than 3/4 to 1oz. When fishing a C-rig I'm trying to cover water horizontally, so the heavier weight allows for a longer cast.

C-rig:http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging2.html

There are a lot of variations, but that gives you the general idea.
Old 01-02-07, 09:44 PM   #3
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Definitely bigger weights. I don't throw a C-rig with less than 3/4 to 1oz. When fishing a C-rig I'm trying to cover water horizontally, so the heavier weight allows for a longer cast.

C-rig:http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging2.html

There are a lot of variations, but that gives you the general idea.
Would it work to put two weights on the line?
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 09:45 PM   #4
lizardsrule

I'm a little different than Rebasser, I prefer smaller weights, 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz. I believe I can detect more bites with a smaller weight, and get hung up less. I also use a "Mojo" weight for it, because I like the way they move through vegetation better. However as reb stated, it can be fished with lots of variations. One of my favorite catches, was a 5 lber in the winter in Indiana, by c-rigging a floating Norman's Lil N with a 1/2 oz weight, slowly dragging it, with short twitches.

Lizards
Old 01-02-07, 10:39 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Would it work to put two weights on the line?
Absolutely! I use Lindy No-Snagg weights because I fish a lot of rocky lakes. Prior to discovering them I used 2 tungsten weights for the click they make when hitting together.
Old 01-03-07, 12:38 AM   #6
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i like 3/8ounce wieghts because i mostly fish weeds and i use a long leader,so the lighter weight keeps my rig from hanging up alot.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 06:45 AM   #7
zooker

i use 1/2 oz sinkers.. the 3/4 and 1 oz are fine but i find that you can only feel the sinker hitting bottom not the bait bumping a long bottom. as much as i loath a carolina rig i have caught a lot of fish on them..

zooker
Old 01-03-07, 07:50 AM   #8
JB

I use the 1/2 ounce egg sinkers, try a jerk bait on the leader sometimes for s/giggles, it works!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 09:28 AM   #9
basser425
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Carolina rig

All the above answers are correct...make up the Carolina to match the conditions. I used a modified C rig last spring on the Potomac and cleaned up with dozens of boats around us...I used a medium sized split shot as the weight... but the water depth was shallow and we couldn't cast too far. Usually i would start with a 3/16 oz wieght and 18-24" of leader. The "trick" is to be able to feel the bottom AND keep the bait in the strike zone.
Andy
Old 01-03-07, 06:16 PM   #10
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The depth of water you are fishing may determine the size of the weight. I will use a heavier weight in deep water because it will get to the bottom a lot quicker.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 08:01 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
The depth of water you are fishing may determine the size of the weight. I will use a heavier weight in deep water because it will get to the bottom a lot quicker.

i caught fish in 8" of water wit the c-rig. i fish the c-rig up to and in 20+ feet of water along creek channels.. i even caught bass in the darkness of night on it...

early in the year use 18" later when the water warms up go to 36".. water clarity really made no differance. if you have caught bass on a certain t-rig colored bait use this color.. i like watermelon seed lizards with about 1" of chartuses on the tail.. or a 8-10" ribbon tailed worm in junebug. or a greenpumkin trick worm...

the one key is just keep pounding a spot they will bite just got to find the speed..

always a thinking..i fished an area that prodouced several light brim type hits.. i started chasing these light strikes with a 1/4oz pnj.. 90% of the pnj fish i caught this summer were caught chasing a c-rig with a 1/4oz pnj..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.