Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-11, 12:41 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New spinner bait

Now I'm not a spinnerbait user but I know alot of you are. I ran across this in one of the news letters sent to me. I find it most intriging. I really want to know what you guys think.

http://www.landbigfish.com/Death-Shi...innerbaits.cfm
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 12:58 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
This incredible action sends out a myriad of signals to the bass lateral line enabling the DEATH SHIMMER 2 - Tournament Series to be tracked down and attacked far before it is ever seen!
I find that last statement interesting. I'm pretty sure once it feel the vibrations, it would turn to the source to see what it was from a long way off, watch it come, and then decide if it'll hit it (depending on how fast it's going, it could be a feel >> see >> slam kinda deal). Seems like the arm would catch grass something fierce too. And I don't care what it says, a bass has got to see it before he attacks it.

So now that my criticism is done with

Looks like an interesting bait, and could offer a new "feel" for the bass, which you could really benefit from on pressure waters! Let us know how it works for ya if ya go ahead a get one!
Old 10-01-11, 01:09 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I would think it would snag more grass/weeds than a normal spinnerbait as well.

But hey, if you're not big into spinnerbaits and if this would give you more confidence, give it a try. Confidence in a bait is a very important aspect in catching fish.

BB
Old 10-01-11, 04:08 AM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

X2 on the catching more weeds.

I used to fish spinner baits a lot, and I still use them from time to time. Now I throw them primarily when it's a bit too weedy for a crank bait or when I want a versatile bait to fish mixed cover (open water, weeds, lay-downs.) I think the arm design would pick up a lot of weeds and a spinner-bait's weedless-design is the main reason I use one.

That said if without trying it, maybe it really doesn't pick up weeds? ...and if you throw a spinner bait where weeds aren't a problem it could be a great bait. I'd love to hear a report if you decide to try one!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 10:44 AM   #5
keithdog

To me, this is nothing more than a gimmic. Any well made spinnerbait is going to give you more than enough vibration. I agree with all the above points as well. I can't imagine working that are through grass. I'm a big spinnerbait guy and often have two tied on all the time. But I almost always work them in areas where crankbaits would be getting snagged on vegitation and such. In open water, spinnerbaits will work, but I prefer crankbaits mostly. I really don't see any need for all the kinks in the spinnerbaits are. But regardless, I'm currious to see how you do with it.
Old 10-01-11, 12:37 PM   #6
joedog

I'm sorry to let everyone know, you won't be finding anything out thru me cause I don't fish spinnerbaits and from the posts (Thank You) I'm not going to start with this thing if I do at all.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 01:28 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Spinnerbaits are a very versitile bait, and if you haven't tired them you really should consider them. Excellent bait in the spring or fall, and anytime bass are feeding on baitfish. One of the best search baits you can throw. Grass, wood, along or under docks - they work. The one mentioned above - I wouldn't bother with, I prefer a bait with a straight arm, minnow head w/eyes and titanium wire which virtually elimiates tuning a spinnerbait - they almost always run straight. If I only had one it would be a 3/8 ox white, with willow blades - it catches fish, and nothing is more fun than (in relatively clear water) watching a bass go get it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 01:09 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Man I have had tons of spinnerbaits that had arms bent like that after good days on the water, if I had known I could sell them for $9 a pop I would be rich by now lol.

Seriously I think it's an interesting idea but I also agree that it's a gimmic. People keep trying to re-invent the wheel when the wheel works just fine. There are some really good spinnerbaits out there on the market as well as some really bad ones. I don't think this one falls under either catagory. To me what makes a good spinnerbait is quality components such as a good hook and good blades that don't dull or rust easy. Skirts are easy to make yourself so I don't get too caught up in how good the skirt patterns but I do believe that certain head designs are better in certain situations. There is really no need to spend much more than $5 or $6 for a good spinnerbait and unless a real innovative idea comes out I will stick with my War Eagles (for cast and retrieve), Stan Sloans (for pitching to brush), and the ones I custom make (for slow rolling).
Old 10-03-11, 02:08 PM   #9
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Spinnerbaits are a very versitile bait, and if you haven't tired them you really should consider them. Excellent bait in the spring or fall, and anytime bass are feeding on baitfish. One of the best search baits you can throw. Grass, wood, along or under docks - they work. The one mentioned above - I wouldn't bother with, I prefer a bait with a straight arm, minnow head w/eyes and titanium wire which virtually elimiates tuning a spinnerbait - they almost always run straight. If I only had one it would be a 3/8 ox white, with willow blades - it catches fish, and nothing is more fun than (in relatively clear water) watching a bass go get it.

BB, which spinnerbaits do you know that have the titanium wire--I haven't had that as a search criteria before, but I think I will from now on. I like the booyah buzz baits, and they are reasonably priced, just need a trailer hook IMO, their spinners come with a trailers in several models, neither have a titanium wire to my knowledge, the at lest bend fairly easily....
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 02:16 PM   #10
bassboogieman

Terminator T-1 are the titanium wire baits I use. But, I don't like the stock skirts that come on them. I change them out, currently with the Strike King pro skirt or an umbrella skirt I get from Barlow's. The other thing I do is epoxy coat the heads as the paint chips pretty easily. The blades are one of the best I've found on a spinnerbait. So while I don't think they are "perfect" right out of the pack and tweak them for my own satisfaction, many do use them as originally constructed. I buy them for the titanium wire and blades and change, what IMO are, the "weak points" of the bait.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 03:05 PM   #11
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You can see this tested on the Icast pool test on Field & Stream site, the verdict is that for the loss of relative "weedlessness" of a spinner bait, it just isn't worth it. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...er-spinnerbait

Last edited by Dogmatic; 10-03-11 at 03:22 PM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 07:16 PM   #12
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Terminator T-1 are the titanium wire baits I use. But, I don't like the stock skirts that come on them. I change them out, currently with the Strike King pro skirt or an umbrella skirt I get from Barlow's. The other thing I do is epoxy coat the heads as the paint chips pretty easily. The blades are one of the best I've found on a spinnerbait. So while I don't think they are "perfect" right out of the pack and tweak them for my own satisfaction, many do use them as originally constructed. I buy them for the titanium wire and blades and change, what IMO are, the "weak points" of the bait.
Thanks BB, I will check them out!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.