Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-10-11, 02:43 PM   #1
toph420
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need some advice for neighborhood pond

I fish a neighborhood that has 2 small ponds side by side. I fish these ponds at least 3 or 4 times a week, usually early morning or late afternoon. I would greatly appreciate any advice I could get on what lures, what size lures, colors, presentations, etc. that would produce some quality fish. Here are some specs on the ponds, btw I am located in metro Atlanta.

The first pond has large grass carp, slightly stained water, no visible cover, and seems to have a dropoff about 1-2 ft. from the bank around the entire lake I would say it is 8-10 ft deep out towards the middle. Idk if it matters, but there is a fountain in the middle of the pond that is always running.
The second lake is more shallow around the banks, has clear water, and some visible cover: above water there is a fallen tree that extends about 8 feet into the water and some lillypads in shallower areas. I can also see some stumps underwater and also weeds in some parts of the pond. This pond also has a lot of bream or bluegill and smaller abaitfish that I can't identify.

I know both lakes have quality fish, I've seen 6+ lbers pulled out of each pond. I usually catch the majority of my fish on white flukes, wtrmln/red flake senkos, 1/4 oz. White buzz bait in the first pond. A lot of times in the first lake i will get a strike at the end of the retrieve, a few feet from the bank.
Any wisdom yall can give me would be extremely helpful, thanks for taking the time to help out.

Last edited by toph420; 10-10-11 at 02:45 PM. Reason: wrong title
toph420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 07:43 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Whenever possible, I like to cast parallel to the bank, looking to get a reaction strike from active bass that are looking for an easy meal.

oh yeah, "welcome to the site!"

-Mark

Last edited by woody; 10-10-11 at 08:19 PM.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 07:50 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Define small
Old 10-10-11, 08:13 PM   #4
Marty

I do agree with Woody that casting parallel to the bank is a good idea, as the ponds I've fished up north usually produce better than casting straight out, but you should at least try that because it can pay off in some ponds.

As far as lures go, I wouldn't rule out any type of lure because the same lures that work in lakes work in ponds. Just use what you have confidence in and pick a lure that's suitable for the conditions at any given time.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 10:28 PM   #5
toph420
BassFishin.Com Member

Woody- Thanks, I've been browsing the site for a while now and just finally decided to register.

As for size of the pond, with a heavy lure I can probably cast close to half way across the second pond. The first pond is about double the size of the second.

Yea most of the time I am casting parallel to the bank. The majority of the time I throw soft plastics (weightless senkos, flukes, T-rigged finesse/u-tails), topwater (buzz, spooks, pop-r).
I would like to get more comfortable with crankbaits, jigs, and spinnerbaits. I am planning on going to BPS, what would yall recommend as far as brand, color, and size for a crank, jig, and spinnerbait that would be most versatile for fishing a smaller pond?
Old 10-10-11, 10:45 PM   #6
Tavery5

In that pond that has the visible stumps and clear water, I would be throwing some natural colored, square billed cranks and banging them on the stumps and other structure. A couple of good square bills to look at are the RC 1.5 and the SPRO Little Johns, also the KVD 1.5 and 2.5 are a good bait. Jigs, go with natural colors again, browns, greens, with just a touch of colors like orange or chartruese could be good. Spinnerbaits I would get a couple of different sizes, but would look at a couple of colors, a good light color is a chartruese/white combo, and a good darker color is a bluegill type pattern. Strike King has a good spinnerbait as well as Terminator and War Eagle. I like a double willow or a Colorado willow combo. Keep it simple to start and expand on your collection of baits as you get an idea of what works for you.

Good Luck
Old 10-10-11, 10:47 PM   #7
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i fish ponds mainly in a small jon boat but occasionally from the bank. most of the time my go to bait is a texas rigged baby brush hog in pumpkin with a bullet weight and 3/0 gama hook. also have good luck with a spro red charlie ingram crankbait. i use a lot of different stuff but those 2 have produced the most for me

as for brand and size of cranks i like kvd 1.5s
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 11:59 PM   #8
toph420
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught the first one in the smaller pond on a 4" wtrmln/red/black flake senko, you can get an idea of the ponds size from the pic. The second I caught in the larger pond on a white pearl fluke. Would you say they weighed?? In between 2-3 lbs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bass2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	7249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bass3-1-1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	7250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0064.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	7251  
Old 10-11-11, 12:16 AM   #9
toph420
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. When throwing cranks or spinnerbaits in a pond with less structure, more open water, do you want to have a slow steady retrieve or more stop and go? When throwing these in the pond that is 6-8 ft. deep, should I experiment with different depths ?
Old 10-11-11, 07:56 PM   #10
Marty

It can't be predicted what fish will hit on a given day. It's trial and error. So you should vary the speed and cadence of your retrieves and try different depths until you have an idea of what's working that day.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 08:10 PM   #11
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Can you have "watercraft" on either of these ponds?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:13 PM   #12
Scott the fishman

I found at my local pond the best place was and over hanging branch. I see no cover just sandy bottom under it. and if you get under you will catch something. when i go to a new lake. i say to my self bass like diffrent such as lilly pads in the middle of the lake tree in the middle something out of the usual. i would try a brush hog those usally dont fail. i dont know if that helped though lol sorry
Old 10-11-11, 10:14 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph420 View Post
Would you say they weighed?? In between 2-3 lbs?
Nice fish! Rule of thumb..........a 13 inch fish weighs 1 lb......16=2 lb...18=3 lb
Old 10-12-11, 09:03 AM   #14
mrmuskie5

I would rig a carolina rig and bomb cast that dude all over those ponds and drag the bottom to find all the structure the bank beaters are missing. You can go back to these spots and deploy your favorite presentation. On different note if i were you i would make some "boilies" http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/make%20boilies.htm and try to tangle with some of the monster grass carp up in there, they can be a blast to catch.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 11:05 AM   #15
cox.catlin
BassFishin.Com Member

Its alright I have a pond I fish that is exactly like that. Like everyone is saying though the one with no structure its pretty much just rotate lures until you find what the bass is hitting that day. But good luck hope you catch em.
cox.catlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.