Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-14-11, 03:52 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default frog colors

I messed with different color spro frogs and I have to ask…..do you think the different colors really make a difference? I caught tons of frog as a kid and even had some more exotic ones as I got older and one thing was pretty standard on all of them…..a white belly. I ask the question of color because true frogs have different patterns most aquatic frogs leopard, pickerel, green, and bullfrog have white bellies. Heck even the tree frogs spring peepers, barking tree frog and cricket frog also have white bellies. So is the different color patterns for us (the angler) or the Bass???
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 06:32 PM   #2
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've tried lots of different colors also but it seems that black during lowlight conditions and white during brighter conditions seems to produce best day in and day out for me.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 07:50 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To me color doesn't matter much if you are fishing heavy slop or pads. For more open water I've had my best luck with watermelon red colors and black. That's for Horny toad type baits. For hollow body frogs, green has been best followed by black.
Old 10-14-11, 07:51 PM   #4
boloson

interesting u brought that up with the frogs having white belly's. i have spros but the best producing frog for me would have to be the zoom horny toad & most of their bellys are not white but the same color as the entire body. probably more movement then color imo
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 09:18 PM   #5
lilmule

I fish both horny toads and floating frogs ,spro being one of them.
Yes black and or watermelon red,I often dip the feet in chart),white only if chasing can work regardless of light conditions.
Spro best one for ky lake is jr or popin frog and in pure black or rainforest black,at times white belly or yellow do not work well.Yet a poison dart yellow black will in a capt kens designer bass frog.
Black,yellow or yellow black work very well regardless of which one is dominant,havnt a clue myself.
Funny this came up as normally fish pads but right now with ky lake at 70 f,on main lake wind swept pea gravel points they will hit a buzzbait,horney toad or a capt kens skitterlegs and its open water,key being chop and baitfish as schoolers 2-2 1/2 pds.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 09:24 PM   #6
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

A frogs thread! I love using frogs. Snag Proof frogs are my favorite choice. As far as color goes I look at them like any other topwater lure: Green, white, pumpkin & black. I really like the action that I can get on these.
Old 10-15-11, 12:29 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

I've got 2 boxes full of frogs but my favorite and usually most productive is the old original H & H Swamp Frog, any color as long as its watermelon. I rarely think there's any relevance re: color though. Some of my best frog ponds don't have any naturally occuring frogs at all. Come to think of it NONE of the ponds or lakes I fish have any native buzzbaits either!
Old 10-15-11, 09:11 AM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Personally, I think of a frog bait as a topwater and nothing more. It's not how realistic the frog looks but rather how visable is it in regard to the existing conditions. Generally, a darker color in low light conditions and a brighter color in brighter light conditions is the general rule. I really don't think a bass thinks "frog" when he sees a Spro or any other frog bait being dragged across the slop. I think he sees "food opportunity" and nothing more. I would choose a more natural subdued color pattern in clear water and a bright or black color in off colored water, just as I would for soft plastics and jigs. My frogs are basically mostly black or white. I do have one Spro Poppin frog in a natural frog color pattern that is about worn out from all the bass it has caught, but I don't think the color has anything to do with the lures success.
Old 10-15-11, 09:49 AM   #9
joedog

I enjoy top water fishing (as we all probably do) and frogging is my favorite. I have probably 3 dozen hollow bodies and I love the Ribbits.
I'm more color concerned with Ribbits (use black, watermeleon w/without red flecks or pumpkin) than hollow bodies but go too's are black (with red or yellow markings) or green (with yellow or another shade of green markings).
In a earlier post I asked the same about poppers ..."on all of them…..a white belly". aquatic frogs leopard, pickerel, green, and bullfrog have white bellies"...." Heck even the tree frogs spring peepers, barking tree frog and cricket frog also have white bellies".This may answer my question as well.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 03:49 PM   #10
F16 1UB

Default Black

I just received my order from Tackle Warehouse 14 bags of Zoom black horny toads. Need I say more?
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 11:07 AM   #11
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

keithdog is on target. The color of the frog is not very crucial. When a bass looks up it sees movement and something that will fit in it's mouth nothing more. They are really dumb creatures. They don't know if it's a frog, a shad, a bird or anything else for that matter they just see food or something disturbing them that will fit in their mouth. I use two colors basically black is what I use almost all the time and then I use white. Black because when they look up they only see a silhoutte anyways and black silhouttes the best. I love using the pink mouse as well it silhouttes very well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.