Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-10, 10:52 PM   #1
BNL
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jigs in Spring

I am big into jig fishing and wanted to know if anyone had any insight into fishing jigs in spring time. Pre-spawn, spawn, post-spawn? Any particular colors? Techniques? And what about jig size? Any one swim a jig this time of year?

Any thoughts or comments on jig fishing in the springtime would be great.
BNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 11:08 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Two weekends ago I did fairly well on my first ice out trip to the lake. The water was very cold, and the ice had only been off the water for 3 weeks. It was off color, so I used a 1/4oz. black/blue jig with a black Peca chunk. It was also very windy that day, and as long as I was working the jig on the windy banks I was catching fish. When I went to the other side of the lake where it was calm, there was no action to be had. I was casting the jig and reeling it back slowly with small short occational hops. I tried swimming it faster, but that provoked no action at all. I went with a 1/4 oz size due to the water being so cold. I wanted a jig I could work more slowly and that fit the bill.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 04:17 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In the springtime with rising water levels,fish the jig around shallow structure as possible.I like black/blue or black/red jig skirts.They contrast for different water clarity and light conditions.I like blue glitter trailer like a baby paca craw especially when you find a little water current.I am a firm believer in an 1/2 oz. weight.I know its heavy but there is not much need for the finesse or light weight jig. You want the jig to fish slow and stay in the strike zone ,not drift with the possible current or fish too fast through the strike zones.

When the water is dropping, go to deeper water,the fish won't stay shallow.

I don't fish for bedded spawn fish.I swim the jig off the break off contours of the spawning flat, looking for the bigger females that go out off in deeper water while the smaller buck bass guard the nest.

I hope this helps.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.