Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-01-05, 11:37 PM   #1
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY
Default Q's T-RIG tips

well for a long as i can remember i have been throwing some form of T-rig. for the most part i dont peg my weight. But in my searches in to become a bass Lord and trying the vast amounts of lakes in my area i am running in to senarios were it might be to my advantage to peg the weight. IE; wind, tulleys brush and over hangs

QUESTION ??? beside the tooth pick anybody have some other tips to try beside expensive t-rig jiq heads.

I have heard something of trying a needle threader with some rubber skirting

Any other Ideas????
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 11:46 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: Q's T-RIG tips

You could just get one of these, pretty cheap.

Or some of these:

If you've got some old soft plastics, tear off a really small piece and put it on the line bofere the weight. You can slide it up or down, and it keeps the weight in place. Or if you've got the kinda surgical tubing you use for trailer hooks, you can use that too.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 11:48 PM   #3
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I buy these items that look like a tiny rubber nails,just thread it into the bullet sinker with the line and pull till tight and clip off the rest.......You can move the weight up and down the line,go from a t-rig to a c-ring and no damage to your line.It is made buy a company called "Bullet Weights".I'm pretty sure bps sells them.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 11:51 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Tie a rubber band around your line with an overhand knot. Slide it down flush with the sinker and trim off the excess. Cheap and easy.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 01:24 AM   #5
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bennersj

Rebbasser's solution works for me
bennersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 04:56 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

depending on structure rubber band or tooth pick.

they now make a funny weight that attaches to the eye of the hook. how ever i have not used these yet.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 07:26 PM   #7
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

There is a type of sinker shaped like a bullit weight out now. You clamp it on your line ahead of the hook. I forgot where I saw them or who makes them but if I see them again I will let you know. I don't know if they will work for your purpose but I think they might.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 08:33 PM   #8
powayfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Take a bullet weight open the top end just a little with
a hook point. Take a rubberband cut it so its not circle any more and so it has 2 ends.Tie a peice of fishing line to one end and pull the rubber band through the weight until the weight is in the middle of the rubberband. Hold rubberband between thumb and index finger and stretch across knuckels and place other end between pinky and second to last finger. when you
strech the rubberband the diameter of it gets smaller, so stretch it out and pass your line through the weight alongh side the rubberband then release rubberband and it will be clinched to the line. Cut the two ends of the rubberband off of the top and bottem of the weight and you can slide it up and down the line but its tight. Tie on your hook and slide down the weight it should hold pretty tight into place,but when a fish hits the weight will be able to slide up the line a little so it keeps the fish from throwing the bait as easily.

GOOD LUCK,

PHIL G.
Old 02-02-05, 10:32 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i've been using toothpicks for years.never lost a fish due to line damage from it.
why does everthing get complicated?keep it simple.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 12:47 AM   #10

HulaPopr

Where in the blank can I locate the 1/32 Gambler unpainted florida rig sinkers. I've been told the hurricanes sort of lashed things up and not only are dealer stocks diminishing, but it's been reported that Gambler has either sold out or restructured and will no longer be carrying these weights in their present form. Do you have anything you'd like to add to that? Please do.

Boldt
Old 02-03-05, 12:49 AM   #11
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I didn't even know that gambler made florida rig weights that sall. If you really want to have a a wieght that small, just buy a bullet weight and do what somebody said to keep it in place.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 12:51 AM   #12
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everybody those are some great ideas I will give all a shot

Thanks Dan
2canbass
Old 02-03-05, 01:31 AM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1107311876;start=0#1 date=02/01/05 at 21:46:15]You could just get one of these, pretty cheap.

Or some of these:

If you've got some old soft plastics, tear off a really small piece and put it on the line bofere the weight. You can slide it up or down, and it keeps the weight in place. Or if you've got the kinda surgical tubing you use for trailer hooks, you can use that too.[/quote]

I dislike the Florida rig type bullet. It quickly tears up the plastic, and always seems to twist around and get the plastics out of shape. I use the Peg It's(rubber nails descibed above). They really aren't that exspensive at all, and easier than the rubberband. And no flaring out of the weight etc.. You slip it through with the line, pull it snug, and trim excess, very simple.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 01:43 AM   #14
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

never seen those rubber nails yet.. what are the names. got a web site to look for them
Old 02-03-05, 02:17 AM   #15
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Here you go, 2can:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 02:28 AM   #16
bassguy2004

I use toothpicks also and haven't had any problems. I use the round pointed on both ends and get two peggings out of one toothpick. Real easy and cheap. You can get probably 400 tooth picks for 20 cents.
Old 02-03-05, 02:37 AM   #17
powayfisher

Well to be honest, I use a toothpick myself. 2canbass
wanted to know how to do the rubberband thing so I explained it,and it works really well, but it takes longer then I like to spend while out on the water fishing.
When rigging one up at the house, I might do the rubberband thing,but I don't have any problem with using a toothpick,Its never caused me to loose any fish yet either!!!

PHIL G.
Old 02-03-05, 02:52 AM   #18
powayfisher

[quote author=Buzzking link=board=news;num=1107311876;start=0#16 date=02/03/05 at 00:37:50]Well to be honest, I use a toothpick myself. 2canbass
wanted to know how to do the rubberband thing so I explained it,and it works really well, but it takes longer then I like to spend while out on the water fishing.
When rigging one up at the house, I might do the rubberband thing,but I don't have any problem with using a toothpick,Its never caused me to loose any fish yet either!!!

Also when I mentioned to open the hole on the weight
just a little bit, thats what I ment just a little bit,don't flare the hole out, just to make sure that the hole isn't half closed off which happens very often with lead weights. You can normally get the line through it anyway
with the hole closed off some, but it would be hard to get the line and rubberband through. Just make sure
that the hole on top of the weight is open as much as the hole that goes all the way through it, and it only takes a split second to open it with a hook if you need to. If the hole in the weight looks normal don't even worry about opening it. those lead weights somtimes
bump against each other in the package and with lead being soft as it is it will disfigure the hole on the top of the weight just a little.

PHIL G.

Old 02-04-05, 03:01 AM   #19
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

hey thanks guy's I appreciate the extra hussle you guy's gace me!!

DAN
2canbass
Old 02-12-05, 04:04 PM   #20

Those rubber nails you're talking about are called Peg-its They are AWESOME for t-riging. Use them all the time. Gander Mt. has them. Bass Pro has what they call T-Stops on page323.in the 2005 issue. Almost the same thing exceptPeg-its are seperated in its own package. 100 in a package is what I get. Hope this helps you out
Old 02-12-05, 04:18 PM   #21

I'm from Wis. and was wondering what the best method for fishing pre-spawn bass is. Is it crankbaits (red) in staging areas or jig n pig in spawning areas on cover. Water is stained and in the 52-55 range. Would like some help.
Old 02-13-05, 09:05 PM   #22
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Bassin 2005 link=board=news;num=1107311876;start=0#20 date=02/12/05 at 14:18:56]I'm from Wis. and was wondering what the best method for fishing pre-spawn bass is. Is it crankbaits (red) in staging areas or jig n pig in spawning areas on cover. Water is stained and in the 52-55 range. Would like some help.[/quote]

WOW I'm floored you have 52-55 degree water temps here in Feb I live in Indiana, and we still have a little ICE, and water temps are definately high 30's to low 40's.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 11:22 PM   #23

I hope I didn't mislead anyone. This is the water I will be fishing in April during pre-spawn. Not now. We have 10 inches of ice yet.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.