Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-11, 10:40 PM   #26
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Everybody just calm down

I enjoy a good debate but if this site has any mod's they should have closed (deleted) this thread immediately after post #14 @ 3:59 pm.
I think we all understand the "we all live downstream" mantra and all but good grief!!! This a managed pond on private property period......any dialogue beyond that just comes off like self righteous chest pounding.
Old 09-25-11, 11:05 PM   #27
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You enjoy a good debate, but yet you want the thread closed down because of viewpoints you don't like.

Just because it's private property doesn't mean much. The next time a bunch of deer come on your property, shoot a bunch of them. When the game wardens knock on your door, tell them "the deer were on my property."

Did anyone consider maybe a golf course pond is just a bad place to stock for fishing? Does the local wildlife have to suffer for their mistake?
Old 09-25-11, 11:24 PM   #28
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
You enjoy a good debate, but yet you want the thread closed down because of viewpoints you don't like.
Yes, but ignorant posts like #14 @ 3:59pm don't qualify as debate or even sharing a viewpoint...just ignorant.

Just because it's private property doesn't mean much. The next time a bunch of deer come on your property, shoot a bunch of them. When the game wardens knock on your door, tell them "the deer were on my property." That is a weak sorry excuse for an analogy. Otter ruining a mans managed pond and deer grazing in my yard?? C'mon you can do better than that.

Did anyone consider maybe a golf course pond is just a bad place to stock for fishing? Does the local wildlife have to suffer for their mistake?
This is the most witless comment yet! Where would you like a man to dig and stock a pond. In some bio-sphere somewhere?? Finally I must let you in on a truth most of the world knows...Man is the apex predator on this planet....Deal with it.
Old 09-26-11, 12:00 AM   #29
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mmmmmm...man, says the Polar Bear and Great White.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 12:27 AM   #30
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Mmmmmm...man, says the Polar Bear and Great White.
Umm.....well......yes......umm....if we're strictly talking about who could kill and eat or just kill in a naked bare hand (paw/tooth/fang) throw down we must add Lions and Tigers and Wolves and Orcas and Grizzlys and Browns and Blacks and Rhinos and Elephants and Water Buffalos and Chetahs and Gorillas and Orangutans and on and on and on. Perhaps the term Surerior Being would sound better than Apex Predator. If yall are gonna get all worked up about killing a few Otter or acknowledging mans rightful and God given position as the dominant living force on the planet you're on the wrong site. There are many places on the web where darwiniacs gather to cry and lament, I'm sure they'd love to have some company.
Furthermore let me say that since I have been an adult I have never killed an animal just for fun nor have I poached,trespassed or broken any game regs or laws. I do own property and will protect it from damage or loss by man or beast, and I routinely impose my will on non human life forms both domestic and wild.
Old 09-26-11, 12:33 AM   #31
Dogmatic

I hear we taste like chicken...but you're correct however in your original statement...we are the APEX predator("Superior Being" is debatable), unfortunately my attempt at levity seems to have been lost.
Old 09-26-11, 12:42 AM   #32
kennethdaysale

Quote:
I hear we taste like chicken...but you're correct however in your original statement...we are the APEX predator("Superior Being" is debatable), unfortunately my attempt at levity seems to have been lost.
My bad...sorry for the rant. I'm usually pretty good at distinguishing between levity and Smart A** not so tongue in cheek stuff. Being new here I haven't got a good handle on everyones foundation and style.
Old 09-26-11, 12:52 AM   #33
carolina-rig-01

carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 01:10 AM   #34
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
My bad...sorry for the rant. I'm usually pretty good at distinguishing between levity and Smart A** not so tongue in cheek stuff. Being new here I haven't got a good handle on everyones foundation and style.
No prob...newbie!(August was a good month) Debate was becoming a little heated, if you read my previous post, you will see I'm not on a side, really. I love otters, I think they're cute, but sh*t, I don't know what I would do if they showed up at one of "my" ponds. I hunt to fill my freezer, I don't hunt( I don't trap) predators or varmits, that's just me. The "karma" thing was just hilarious.
Old 09-26-11, 01:12 AM   #35
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Being new here I haven't got a good handle on everyones foundation and style.
You really seem to have missed my "foundation." I may be a lot of things, but "ignorant," "witless," and "darwiniac" are pretty far off the mark. I'm not much of a name-caller either. But to each his own. Others are watching.

You said you have never killed an animal for fun. Then I should think you would agree with me that killing these otters would be for fun; the fun of bass fishing.

I'm surprised these days there are any golf courses that will let someone fish there. It would be a liability nightmare if someone was to get chunked in the melon with an errant tee shot.
Old 09-26-11, 01:14 AM   #36
kennethdaysale

Click image for larger version

Name:	otter.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	7197
Go ahead boy skin that smoke wagon!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-11, 08:51 AM   #37
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Locally, otters are trapped in cage like traps and are transported to other waters. This is done by the wildlife folks and is an effective method.
Old 09-26-11, 09:47 AM   #38
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Locally, otters are trapped in cage like traps and are transported to other waters. This is done by the wildlife folks and is an effective method.
As long as otters can't draw maps, that sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-26-11, 11:58 AM   #39
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
By the way, Kory...that is quite possibly the funniest LOLCAT I've seen in a while.
Old 09-26-11, 03:53 PM   #40
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
By the way, Kory...that is quite possibly the funniest LOLCAT I've seen in a while.
Thanks dude, just trying to bring some humor to a fairly tense situation. On the same note I like your new avatar.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 04:02 PM   #41
nofearengineer

Quote:
On the same note I like your new avatar.
You know me, right?
Old 09-26-11, 07:24 PM   #42
keithdog

Quote:
hahaha, Love this pic!!! I hate to even get into this thread but I am going to. It's been an interresting debate, and everyone has made good points. I can understand the issue from both sides of the isle. I could agree and disagree with everyone here almost. All I'm going to say is that otters almost became extinct. They have been reintroduced to several areas to save the species. I LOVE bass fishing. But even still, as Bryce has pointed out, it's of pretty small importance to bigger issues. The otter as everyone knows is a values natural resource that is being managed. Just like beavers, muskrats and other fur bearing animals trapped for their fur, they can be managed intelligently. If trapping is an option, then do so within the legal limits. Otherwise, follow the dirrection of the law. That pretty much says it all. We all love the sport of bass fishing, but we also need to be understanding of wildlife management. Carefull control is the key. And IMHO, humans are the most intelligent and dominant species on the earth, and therefore we must take the role of caregiver and protector. Failure to respect any species is a failure on our part.
Old 09-27-11, 11:00 AM   #43
Fish30114

thanks for the NEW feedback, I am researching traps at this time.

For those that just don't get it, let's assume from now on, that when someone asks for advice, it is intended to be legal, that folks have permission, and aren't enemies of some kind, just because they may be doing something you wouldn't personally do....

Oh BTW, does anyone have tips for fishing with dynamite? Saw it in a header banner somewhere.......
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 11:52 AM   #44
joedog

M-80s maybe, dynamite no...... Carolina and FISH, love your sense of humor! Oh ya, relocation is an honorable idea but my son had a greyhound (race track odoption) and given a chance he would escape or get loose and sometimes would be gone days, but all ways found his way back! Now not to knock the poor greyhound but my hunch is an otter is a we bit better equipped intelligence wise and adaptation skills. So relocate far a way because if there is one thing all of Gods creatures have in common is......... WE NEVER FORGET WHERE WE HAD A GOOD MEAL!!!

Last edited by joedog; 09-27-11 at 12:10 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 01:38 PM   #45
TN_Bassin

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stop eating animals.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	7198  
Old 09-28-11, 12:17 PM   #46
Crankbait

Quote:
My only suggestion, other than my previous ones, is to perhaps try those live traps(Box traps) baited with whole fish, and set up along shore. I love otters, but agree with you Fish, the landowners should make the call.
+1 i love otters too.....love fishing too. i like the trapping idea
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 10:01 AM   #47
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
+1 i love otters too.....love fishing too. i like the trapping idea
Yep! me too.....to be honest Crank, when I started this thread what I was hoping for was to learn some good methods for getting rid of the otters--soemthing along the line of 'go to xyz.com, and get the model abc trap and put peanut butter in there--gets em everytime' or something like that.
I knew you could trap em, just didn't (and still not sure) how to. I would also not be against feedback saying something else such as 'you have to shoot em, that's the only thing that works', or 'poison some pistachio nuts, otters are the only thing that will eat them'-- in other words some good information on how to manage them--if killing them is the best solution, I am not necessarily against that, but I too prefer a non-lethal resolution. I currently have asked a biologist for a quote for him to trap them and remove them, and may go that route if I can afford it, or the owners will pay for that
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 04:56 PM   #48
nobass

if you want to trap them fine there slides get a small live trap can of cheap tuna punch holes in can and secure to trap. let juice run on ground. put open end of trap at waters edge. and check daily. move trap to different location and repeat. warning otters may not be the only thing you trap. take old cover or tarp to throw over cage.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.