Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-05-11, 06:18 PM   #1
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First Tournament Results

Hey guys, just got back from my first tournament at the Northeast River in MD. I placed 5th out of 14 people with 4 fish weighing 11.24 pounds. The water temp was 51 degrees and the boater decided to spend almost all of 8 hours fishing dead grass along the shoreline.

I caught 3 on a shakyhead rig and 1 on a chatterbait. My biggest was 3.74. The boater won the tournament and $400 with a limit weighting 18 pounds. He was a really nice guy and give me a lot of good insight on fishing the river. I'll be fishing another tourney in two weeks, I'll keep you updated.
fishingprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 06:36 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Great job. You learned, you had fun, you placed, what a great day. Just a little warning...Tournament fishing is quite addicting. Once you start it's very hard to stop.
Looking forward to following your new hobbie (obsession).
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 06:54 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Glad you had a good time. I agree with Joedog about tournament fishing being addictive. I have been consumed by it for several years now and I can't shake it. To a degree it even takes some of the fun out of fun fishing because I almost feel like I am not fishing for a purpose when fun fishing. Don't get me wrong, I still love fun fishing but not as much as tourney fishing.
Old 11-05-11, 07:03 PM   #4
bamabassman

OUTSTANDING!! congrats to ya bud! 5th out of 14 is great.
Old 11-05-11, 07:06 PM   #5
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool man sounds like you guys figured out a pattern. Way to go.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 07:20 PM   #6
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah it was a blast, I can definitely see how it can be addicting. It wasn't "we" who figured out a pattern, it was the boater lol. He knew exactly what he was going to do, and he did it.

He caught 9 fish throughout the day, all above 3 pounds. He also broke off two nice ones. 7 of his 9 were caught during the first three hours during high tide, when the tide went out, the fish stopped biting.
Old 11-05-11, 07:45 PM   #7
lilmule

Good job .nice experience.
As for tide bass they reposition them selves when outgoing.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 08:24 PM   #8
kennethdaysale

Interesting choice. I have almost no experience fishing tidal water, so there must be overriding factors like baitfish, topography, current and who knows what else at play, but I have always avoided dead fall grass like the plague. Good for you!
Old 11-06-11, 10:59 AM   #9
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I personally wouldn't have fished dead grass if I was the boater, I would've been hitting the docks and pilings all day. The bass were really clumped up in that grass though, I've heard dead grass holds heat, that might be why.

I chose to fish a shaky head rig because I feel its more weedless than a texas rig, and I would bounce it through the grass a few times, and the bass would pop out and take it right as I bounced it out.
Old 11-06-11, 04:23 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprodigy View Post
It wasn't "we" who figured out a pattern, it was the boater lol. He knew exactly what he was going to do, and he did it.
That is why fishing as a nonboater can be so valuable when you start tournament fishing. You learn so many things that you would probably never figure out if you were a boater, or if you would figure them out it would most likely take you years to do so. Almost every tournament I have fished as a nonboater I learned something that I put in my memory bank and use from time to time now that I fish the boater side.
Old 11-06-11, 06:17 PM   #11
keithdog

Hey, way to go on your 5th place finish. First time tourney, thats pretty darn good. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-06-11, 09:58 PM   #12
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll be fishing my next tourney on November 19th at the same place. Here is the website in case any of you are near philly or maryland and want to enter. http://www.pabasstournaments.com/ Theres a pic of me and my partner on the front page, under "today's news," holding a couple of nice bass we caught. I'm the only asian kid among the 13 white guys haha.

P.S. just realized I finished in 6th place, not 5th. Sorry for misleading you guys!

Last edited by fishingprodigy; 11-06-11 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-06-11, 10:25 PM   #13
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprodigy View Post
I'll be fishing my next tourney on November 19th at the same place. Here is the website in case any of you are near philly or maryland and want to enter. http://www.pabasstournaments.com/ Theres a pic of me and my partner on the front page, under "today's news," holding a couple of nice bass we caught. I'm the only asian kid among the 13 white guys haha.

P.S. just realized I finished in 6th place, not 5th. Sorry for misleading you guys!
Or try this link where the pictures don't keep changing and there is more info about the tourney. Taken from the article..."Newcomer Mike Hsiao pulls an impressive sack and takes the COY lead!"

Nice job, Mike!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 08:08 PM   #14
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Great job on your first tourny! You did better than I in my first one. I was 16 and tied for second in a 30 person tourny. Problem was I tied with the other 28 guys that didn't catch a single keeper! Gotta love winter tournaments on a lake that's tough at it's best.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.