Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-22-12, 10:28 PM   #1
Kidbass3
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Is this right to do in the winter......???

Well i fish at lake wylie with my dad all the time in the winter and we try our best to catch fish...... But unfortunately we don't catch anything and it's disappointing. But I've been reading articles and watching ALOT of the WFN channel and nothing is working, but I'm going to tell y'all where I fish on the lake, what I fish with, and how I fish the lures and hopefully y'all can tell me what I'm doing wrong and how and where I need to fish!

The water clarity at Lake Wylie is about 2ft and I like to use jigs around brush, steep points, and drop offs and I herd that bass are slow in the winter so I fish the jig slowly off the bottom. But when that dosnt work I Switch to a jerk bait (the so called number one bait in the winter) and fish it around points and ripraps with a twitch twitch pause retrieve. And sometimes I use dropshots but I have no idea where to fish it so I just throw it anywhere. So if there is any advice you can give me about these lures or any other thing you use in the winter please tell me. THANKS!
Kidbass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 11:03 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Kid This time of year I would recommend the mouth of Little Allison Cr and the two points north of there. In about a month and all during the summer making a run up the creek as far as you can go and slowly working your way back to the mouth with a fluke is about as close to a lock as your gonna find on Wylie. If your into deep cranking during June=July=August I'll give you a couple of spots then. Welcome to the forum...Ken
Old 01-22-12, 11:48 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't know anything about the lake you are fishing but it sounds like you are fishing in the right types of areas. Jigs are a great bait year round but they are especially good in cold water months. In the winter I like to fish lighter jigs because it forces me to slow way down to keep bottom contact with the bait. Some other baits that I would recommend in cold water are shaky heads, jigging spoons, lipless crankbaits, jerkbaits, and a lot of other techniques. Just remember to fish it slow. I like to fish chunk rock banks and boat ramps that get a lot of sunlight because when the sun beats on them all day it will help warm the water in these areas.
Old 01-23-12, 08:00 AM   #4
keithdog

I don't know where your at but it sounds like your doing the right things. At least your fishing! The water around here is frozen solid. Welcome to the forums Kid.
Old 01-23-12, 01:06 PM   #5
Bassboss

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job to me. Winter can be a real pain in the as$ to fish sometimes. However their could be some little thing wrong with your presentations.

When you're fishing a jig, what kind of trailer are you using? Are you using a action packed one like a rage craw, or a trailer with a slower undulating, gliding type action like a zoom chunk? When the waters cold, subtle action is often the best action. Also have you tied tweaking your colors? This can often make a huge difference in the colder months.

For your jerkbaits, my best advise is change the sizes, and cadences. Try less aggressive twitches, and longer pauses. Try to match the size and color to that of the forage.

Sounds like you're doing it right, but in the winter months, it's the little things that count!
Old 01-24-12, 05:02 AM   #6
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In my area the water temp is in the mid to high 30's, had to pause jerkbaits for 30 to 45 seconds and use very subtle twitches to get a bite. Also it had to be suspending perfectly no rise or fall to it. Would get very few bites. The other method that works real well is just slowly draging a T.R. centipede with an eigth ounce sinker. I do the same with a jig but I use the bitsy bugs here. They don't seem to want the normal bass jig in the winter. If you try the dragging technique, go slow enough that you don't move the bait but a foot for every 15 to 20 seconds. Average cast takes about three to five minutes to retrieve.
Old 01-24-12, 01:49 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Other than the very specific tips from Ken, I thought I saw Zona fishing Wiley with a T-rigged lizard, and killing it in winter, fishing the cover you mentioned(?). My brother in-law has a house on Wiley, I'll shoot him an email, and see what he has to say...
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 08:15 PM   #8
Kidbass3
BassFishin.Com Member

That would be great Dogmatic!
Kidbass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 08:57 PM   #9
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Have you tried using your electronics to located balled up bait? Find that & then try using a silver buddy/ blade type bait casting to the school of bait, letting it hit the bottom, using a slight rip pull the bait up and let it free fall to the bottom. it has worked for us here in VA. I've been trying a jerk bait here in 40* water with no luck yet... only constant producers have been jig n pigs, silver buddies and flutter spoons.
Old 01-24-12, 09:23 PM   #10
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaminVa View Post
Have you tried using your electronics to located balled up bait? Find that & then try using a silver buddy/ blade type bait casting to the school of bait, letting it hit the bottom, using a slight rip pull the bait up and let it free fall to the bottom. it has worked for us here in VA. I've been trying a jerk bait here in 40* water with no luck yet... only constant producers have been jig n pigs, silver buddies and flutter spoons.
The jigging spoon was the only other thing I could think to try. Winter is tough, sometimes you can do everything right and not catch anything. The fish are cold blooded and don't have to eat as often during the winter time and a lot of the time you almost have to hit them in the head with your bait. Stick with the baits you've been fishing, sounds like you're on track there. Look for bluff walls along channel swings or points that the channel comes in close to. Those type places are almost sure to hold fish during the winter, it's just a matter of being there at the right time when the fish are feeding.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 01:26 AM   #11
Glitterjet
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Kid, get yourself some Erie darters by poor boys bait co. You can throw it texas rigged or best on a football or shakey head. You can drag it or a slight lift and glide type action is best. I use the 4" mostly but when the water gets in the mid 30's I go to the 3". Green pumpkin, stone or mango magic will produce fish anywhere. I've caught largemouth and smallmouth in as much as 35' of water and as little as 2' in the winter... Just throw it. Best cold water bait I've seen.
Glitterjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.