Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-19-06, 09:13 PM   #26
lunkerhunter15
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont now why yall think it is so hard to skip with a baitcaster i have been doin it for years. but it is quite affective its all about getting the lure low to the water and having a bait that allows you to do it easily tube, superfluke ect.
lunkerhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 09:20 PM   #27
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

a big profile flippin jig is sapose to be good for skippen under docks
Old 03-19-06, 09:47 PM   #28
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

when i say finesse i mean like drop shot with 6 lb test.really small 4 inch worms etc..i cast zoom super flukes weightless and zoom trick works weightless with my pflueger president baitcaster with no problem.it's just when you get to the really light lines a spinning reel is better.actually this year the lightest line i'm using is 12/50 powerpro.i'm using it to throw jerkbaits on a spinning rod.everything else i'm throwing on a baitcaster.personally i don't like throwing real finesse stuff.it's just not my style.when i throw a tube it's a 4 incher.when i throw a worm it's at least 7 inches.when i throw a shakey head on my spinning rod it's on a 1/4 jig with a 7 inch trick worm.once i learn baitcaster skipping my spinning days will be over except for jerkbaits.i prefer a spinning rod for them.i get a better snap with the spinning rod by jerking downward.

Last edited by dodgeguy; 03-19-06 at 09:53 PM.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 10:56 PM   #29
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCYankee
I started using baitcasters late last summer. It was a very awkward transition. Recently, I've been thinking about buying a nice spinning reel. But, I started to think why? The only answer I came up with is I want to do some things such as skipping lures that I can't currently do with my baitcasters. So, buying a spinning reel is just a cop out for me. I've seen guys skip lures with baitcasters. It can be done. You just have to keep at it. Cranking power is definitely a baitcaster plus. As they say, once you go baitcaster, you never go back.
This is a argument that will never be won. Yes you can skip plastics with a baitcaster, but it's increasing your percentages of getting a backlash, and I gaurantee you that you can't skip them as far. Both reels can do everything with practice, and more practice, but the fact is use the RIGHT TOOL, for the job as Cajun used to always remind me.

zooker is absolutely correct in pitching with a spinning reel. Also as for heavy line on a baitcaster, with the new superlines, that is a mute point. 8lb diameter Braid is 20 lb Fireline, or 30lb Powerpro. I repeat both reels can do all the things, just different tools. BOTH should be in every Bass fishing arsenal, if you want to be a better angler. Baitcaster's excel at pitching IMO, and spinning reels excel at skipiping soft plastics and distance.

Lizards
Old 03-19-06, 11:07 PM   #30
Rebbasser

Mnavarro, I throw everything with a baitcaster, but there are a few applications I prefer spinning for, like drop shotting, shakey head rigs and light crankbaits. Otherwise I prefer baitcasting because I can throw heavier baits, use heavier lines, and have more confidence throwing into heavy cover. The different rods and reels are like tools-you decide which one will do the job best for you.
Old 03-20-06, 12:46 AM   #31
FishinBrotha
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi, newb here

I've always used spinning reels, last year i got a cheap shimano baitcaster and I just struggled to cast it effectivly, distance sucked, and I kept getting backlash cause I obvious didn't know what I was doing. A more expensive reel might be better on me you think?
FishinBrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 01:16 AM   #32
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum FishinBrotha!

Take a look here:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Best site I have seen for properly setting up a baitcaster-it makes a world of difference in the way the reel works when it is set up right.
Old 03-20-06, 11:52 AM   #33
FishinBrotha
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Welcome to the forum FishinBrotha!

Take a look here:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Best site I have seen for properly setting up a baitcaster-it makes a world of difference in the way the reel works when it is set up right.
Thank you, I'll research that whole link

I have a spinning real now that has a trigger that holds the line for you instead of using your finger to hold it and flipping over the bail and I love it. I guess I started out using one of those closed face button reels and like the ease of casting.

FishinBrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 12:09 PM   #34
everettvet

I started with a spinning reel years ago. I moved to a baitcaster within a few years. I practiced with dads baitcaster while he was out of town. I practiced in the yard for a little while every couple days. It took me a little while to get the hang of it. Now (many years later - 20), I use more baitcasting than spinning, but I always have one spinning rod with me. By the way, dad was always pi**ed off when I left his reel in a mess. He never got on me too bad. He just said put it back like I found it. Problem was that sometimes the backlash was so bad that I could not fix it. He tells me to remember how patient he was when my boy starts backlashing my baitcasting reels in a few years. At the time, I didn't think he was very patient, but he was!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 12:54 PM   #35
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a $40 BPS baitcaster and a $120 Quantum baitcaster. I highly recommend a $30 to $50 BPS reel to start. In my opinion, there is not a large enough difference between low end and high end reels for a beginner. Once you feel comfortable with a baitcaster, spend the extra bucks if you got them. The high end reel is smoother and will likely last longer. I've never tried one of the cheaper baitcast reels such as the Zebco Rhino. Maybe someone else can give their two cents on the cheaper reels. When it's all said and done, what reel you use depends on your personal preference. As Lizard said both reels can probably do anything with practice.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 04:16 PM   #36
Mnavarro
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mnavarro

when u say backlash, you mean when the line tangles? and thats becuase you dont have your thumb on the spool enough
Mnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 08:09 PM   #37
dodgeguy

yeah,that's it.actually you can set up todays baitcasters so that you only have to stop the spool with your thumb at the end of the cast.
Old 03-20-06, 08:49 PM   #38
Mnavarro
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mnavarro

do all of the reels come with that, or does it cost a little extra?
Mnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 08:54 PM   #39
bass kicker

most do some dont like the abu C3 and older reel if you get good enought it doesnt matter you automaticly put your thumb on the spool at the end of the cast

add he was refering to reels with magnets or a braking system
Old 03-20-06, 10:37 PM   #40
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

i learned on a bps $50 or less so use a lower end one to start incase something really bad happens then when u think your ready or want any other rod and reels thats a baitcaster by a higher up one that u think well last u a life time or just a nice one
Old 03-20-06, 10:44 PM   #41
bass kicker

that what you and i both did except my parents baught mine for my birthday
Old 03-20-06, 10:49 PM   #42
big redneck fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

i dont get anything for fishing from my parents deside what my dad frist gave me , and what u give me for gifts and to use
Old 03-29-06, 11:42 AM   #43
jonnyp22
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp22

whaaaaaaaaaaaat? haha so what is everyones favorite baitcastor reed and rod setup?
Old 03-29-06, 06:37 PM   #44
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

my favorite reel ive tried is the BPS extreme. Theres a few more here that would agree.
Old 03-29-06, 07:13 PM   #45
JB

I like my shimano and quantums for reels jonny
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 10:11 PM   #46
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I like my shimano and quantums for reels jonny
Shimano's for Baitcasters, and Quantum's for spinning

Lizards
Old 03-29-06, 11:25 PM   #47
KenDammit

Lizards, you have that the opposite way around...Shimano for spinning and Quantum for baitcasters
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.