Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-15-12, 03:41 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default ....and more jig ideas and questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKiTD...feature=fvwrel

Now this idea REALLY seems like a good idea.

I've done similar on a popper and small 1/64 or smaller ball head and 1 1/2 inch grub. Also have used dry flies for the tag along.

Now this is for the grand kids ( trail rig is for sunnies)but I have done the same with TWO poppers. Remove rear hook from first popper and tie on 6-12 inches of line and then add the second popper. Great on bedding bass and I've even got the male and female to take at the same time.
Can take a little practice getting the cast down, kind of like tossing a wieghtless C-rig.
Those who's laws allow it may want to give it a try next spring.
Old 10-15-12, 09:50 PM   #2
kennethdaysale

Joe speaking of jig ideas...http://youtu.be/pCfL2ZuhBrQ...I have been a firm believer in skirt thinning for years, whether it's a buzz, spinner or jig. The thinning shears are a good idea. As a matter of fact I often throw a buzzbait with only 10-12 strands.......works real good.
Old 10-16-12, 11:54 PM   #3
Jrob78

That looks like an awesome idea! I've fished double fluke rigs plenty of times but never thought about attaching a fluke to a jig. I bet a fluke on a walking bait would work really well too. I will definitely try it.
Old 10-17-12, 06:33 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I haven't ever used a fluke behind a swim jig but I think it's probably a good idea. I have used a jig as a weight on a carolina rig with a lizard or brush hog on the back of the rig.
Old 10-17-12, 08:16 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That looks like an awesome idea! I've fished double fluke rigs plenty of times but never thought about attaching a fluke to a jig. I bet a fluke on a walking bait would work really well too. I will definitely try it.
On second thought, the trailing fluke would probably kill the walking action of the topwater bait, scratch that idea. I still like the fluke behind the swim jig though.
Old 10-17-12, 08:37 PM   #6
joedog

Ok I tried it.

Few pointers.
When casting, as soon as jig and fluke hit water, give it a gentle pull towards you. Helps eliminate the inevitable line wrapping when using two lures. Even without I rarely had a challenge. But with the lite pull I had none.
Did it with 30lb. braid for the tie on and 12lb floro for main. 6'6' Mh rod and spinning reel.

I actually did a periodic jerk during swimming retrieve. I also let it drop and did a pop, pop let sit retrieve. I did a drag, pop and stop retrieve. And I'm sure some variations of each.
No fish but twice on the drag stop retrieve I came back with half flukes. I was using 5/0 Trokar screw ons and 1/4 oz. swim jig. Why I didn't feel either bite I'm really not sure but it was extremely windy so that and a Putz holding the pole is all I can figure.
Now also fishing the last 4 days has flat out been the WORST I've experienced all year.
I see good potential here.
Also did a lake Fork Thumping worm instead of fluke but no takers. I also see some success with this.

Way to early and very challenging weather and fish activity and the ever present 'learning curve' but I think this may be a winner.
Only time will tell.
Old 10-17-12, 09:15 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
On second thought, the trailing fluke would probably kill the walking action of the topwater bait, scratch that idea. I still like the fluke behind the swim jig though.
I wondered about that when I read your first post but I wasn't sure it would kill the action of the walking bait. I wonder about a fluke behind a popping bait like a Yellow Magic or Zellpop? It might pull the tail of the topwater bait down enough to give it a different sound too. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-12, 11:30 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I wondered about that when I read your first post but I wasn't sure it would kill the action of the walking bait. I wonder about a fluke behind a popping bait like a Yellow Magic or Zellpop? It might pull the tail of the topwater bait down enough to give it a different sound too. Just a thought.
My initial thought with the walking bait is that you generally fish them fast so it would do a good job of drawing attention and that fluke would be going crazy behind it. I really don't know what it would do to the action though. After I thought about it for awhile, I thought you might could tie the leader to the line tie on the Sammy or even on a swivel like a double fluke rig but I'm sure that would foul up on every cast. I think trying it out on one of the larger, 1/2oz poppers would be a better idea. It might be too much for 1/4oz popper. There's only one way to find out.
Old 10-18-12, 06:54 AM   #9
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

I've never tried the fluke but I can say that I've had good luck by removing the front hook from a pop-r or torpedo, tieing an 18" dropper line to the rear treble with a wacky rigged finesse worm and throwing it to breaking fish or my favorite-working it down a windblown rip rap bank.

If you catch a fish on the hardbait try letting him thrash about under light pressure for a moment or two after the hookset. Depending on whatever it depends on, you'll sometimes manage to hook one of his curious schoolmates and reel in a double.
RustyFender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.