Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-10, 04:48 PM   #26
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Anyone seen the 3:16 No Bull Frog??? I like the way it looks and saw one video of it swimming.. seemed realistic to me. I have never thrown a frog in my life, but want to give it a shot... i may try this way... I know white is successful color in kentucy lake for some reason, but it seems that Black would be the best color for low light and night fishing... is that correct?

http://www.316lurecompany.com/baits/frog.html
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 05:05 PM   #27
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Anyone seen the 3:16 No Bull Frog??? I like the way it looks and saw one video of it swimming.. seemed realistic to me. I have never thrown a frog in my life, but want to give it a shot... i may try this way... I know white is successful color in kentucy lake for some reason, but it seems that Black would be the best color for low light and night fishing... is that correct?

http://www.316lurecompany.com/baits/frog.html
Those look real good too! Like that they have an air pocket inside, and come 4 to a pack.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 07:21 PM   #28
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ya know, I thought I'd mention something. I used to use a lure as a frog lure a long time ago before all the hollow belly frogs came out. It was a jumbo size Uncle Josh pork frog on a weedless hook. Man I caught a lot of bass with that. Funny how some baits seem to fall into distant memories. Maybe I should take a jar along some day and try that again.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:54 PM   #29
CMorg

I got these 3:16 frogs. The air pocket is actually under the belly , not molded into the frog like your probably thinking. The air stays inside the ridges on the bottom side. These are huge frogs too , bigger than any you've fished with before.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 01:02 PM   #30
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I got these 3:16 frogs. The air pocket is actually under the belly , not molded into the frog like your probably thinking. The air stays inside the ridges on the bottom side. These are huge frogs too , bigger than any you've fished with before.
Do they have good action? Do they float good? Does that air pocket get punctured easily and take on water like other frogs?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 03:31 PM   #31
CMorg

They float fine , the action is just kinda straight pulls , the legs look like they kick , other than that , theres not really any action to them.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 08:36 AM   #32
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've used the Spro, Bobby's Perfect and Tru Tungsten.
They've all worked fairly well for me.
The Tru Tungsten outcasts the others but I have a better hook up rate with the Bobby's Perfect.
Have a couple Kermys but haven't tried em yet.
Old 06-06-10, 09:12 PM   #33
Froggin4Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Zoom Horny Toad, fish it weightless and weedless with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. Best frog IMO.
Froggin4Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 10:15 PM   #34
bassinbob

I've tried over 25 different brands and I agree with you Froggin. That's the plastic toads, not the hollow bodies. Have hits on other brands but none can match the horny toad for me.
Old 06-11-10, 11:51 PM   #35
Rebbasser

I'm going to try the H30 frogs. If they are as good as their crankbaits they should be good.
Old 06-28-10, 04:31 AM   #36
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

i actually picked up some small poppin frogs at walmart. i forget the brand they were cheap though. under 3 dollars if i remember correctly. i have had more bites on this thing than any other frog i have fished. however the hookup rate is horrible. and i mean horrible. out of 20 bites only caught 3 or so of them. prolly my fault but jez.
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 11:26 AM   #37
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I'll add one more to the list.
Frogzilla
http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=1451
I picked up a couple of these at a local shop for $2 each. They are massive and a lot of fun to throw. I have done well on the single hook so far. They are not my go to frog, but if you are tossing into the really thick stuff, they do better than the others for me.
I've got to give this one a try, Cass. I'm thinking the "bullfrog" color...
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 02:16 PM   #38
lilmule

triglet a floating frog is fished not like a popr,one waits for a few sec before setting the hook count to three then set,your hokup ratio will be better.
Frogzilla ive tried them while large nothing noteworthy caught and have a horrible single hook on them.Depps ,spro,bully wa,sumo,tournament pro all are decent ,one must have alterrnate floaters as some days they prefer one type over another.
And have to agree the horny toad for non floaters is superb,often on ky lake they do not hit paddle tail versions well.Hook set on them is just like a buzzbait.,no waiting.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 02:30 PM   #39
nybass1
BassFishin.Com Member

just a heads up BPS has the tru tungsten frog on sale. I picked a few as this is a good chance to get a pricey bait for cheaper!
nybass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 12:56 AM   #40
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

lilmule ive gave the three count a go numerous times and sometimes even longer just no luck on getting a hook in the fish. dont have this problem with the spro. but dont seem to get as many bites.
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 02:11 AM   #41
basshunter21

I just picked up a spro frog today. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it worked out.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 08:14 PM   #42
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Zman elite

I have been using the Zman elite almost all summer and really like it.Does not sink and can be worked like a slow buzz bait with little effort. Exceptional hookup ratio with the one hook. The frog does slide up the line after a big fish is on and I find it easier ti retie than fuss with sliding it back on. the only really big drawback is it is light!!. I can not get good casting distance when using a rod heavy enough to get the fish out of the weeds. Currently using Gloomis 6'6" medium spinning rod with Shimano Stradic reel and 20# PP braid. I have fished it in heavy weeds pads and 30' of water all with equal success.I just wish I could cast it further.
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 11:24 PM   #43
lilmule

Most of your single hook floating frogs have a poor hookup ratio,depps basirisky being very bad about it,and the frogzilla just as bad,double hooks seem to do better.
Have never tried the zman elite,but most of my frogs can cast a fair distance with the king spro a 1 oz goes to the end of the line often.
Yet single hooks work well on horney toads etc,so its no wonder it works on it as a plastic imitation generally non floater but not always.With quite a different hook set I might add.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 03:27 PM   #44
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought some of the Z-Man Pop Frogs, and I'm excited to try them out, I've really liked all of the Elaztech stuff I've used so far. I'll be getting the Strike King 3X finesse worms and ZTOO 3X jerkbaits soon too, which are made by Z-man.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z_Man...ge-ZMPFES.html

I'm also really curious about the River2Sea Larry Dahlberg Diver Frog, it looks great in the water.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River...ge-R2SLDF.html

VIDEO
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 06:01 PM   #45
dave0943

Default Horny Toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggin4Bass View Post
Zoom Horny Toad, fish it weightless and weedless with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. Best frog IMO.
Froggin4bass,
I've got to agree with you. I've caught more bass on Horny toads than any other frog bait I've used, and I've used quite a few. Love the action on them weightless. I pinch a small split shot on the hook shank if I want a little different action. GREAT BAIT> They do tend to tear easy, but well worth the money. I keep 3 colors. Black for some reason up north here, really shines.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.