Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-10, 12:41 AM   #1
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Any canoe/kayakers?

I put out some feelers to see whats in my local area for canoes and kayaks... so far received 5 people in the past 6 hours with responses ranging from $150-300... anyone else have a canoe or kayak for smaller ponds/lakes (and fishing)?
One of the responses even said they have a fishfinder which could save $100-200 after the fact...

ideas? suggestions? pictures?
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 08:02 AM   #2
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check out www.kayakfishingstuff.com for yaks and rigging for fishing.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 08:09 AM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Depending on what type of vehicle you're gonna haul it with, you might wanna check out a Sun Dolphin or Bass Hunter boat.
I fish out of a Sun Dolphin and carry it in the back of a mini van.
Old 02-06-10, 09:39 AM   #4
BlueDaksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Check out www.kayakfishingstuff.com for yaks and rigging for fishing.
Kayakfishingstuff went out of business last month. I'm a kayak fishing nut and highly recommend a fishing kayak. They are much more stable than canoes and much easier to fish by yourself. I've tipped over in canoes more times than I could count, but in my 6 plus years of fishing from a fishing kayak, I've never tipped over.

Kayak fishing is the fastest growing sector of the sport fishing industry and the manufacturers have really started catering to us anglers. There are many specialized models to choose from many manufacturers. There are two basic types, sit-insides (more traditional style of kayak), and sit-on-tops. The sit-insides are great for ponds, small lakes, and calm creeks and rivers because they are usually a bit lighter and paddle easier. The sit-on-tops can go where the sit-insides, but are a bit heavier - the tradeoff comes with increased stability and they can be taken out on rougher water because if water comes over the deck, it drains right back out through scupper holes.

If you are an average sized person and plan on fishing only calm quiet water, you can do with a 9'-10' sit-inside recreational kayak ($200-$500 new). However, if you are bigger in size and/or want to go everywhere the big boats go, you should get a 12'-15' sit-on-top ($500-$1500 new). You can find used kayaks here and there, but don't expect a huge savings over new, but who knows - you can always find a deal if you look hard enough.

Here's my battle cruiser...

You can find a review of my kayak right here on Bassfishin.com too - http://www.bassfishin.com/bass-boats...tealth-14-155/

My favorite sources for information on the sport of kayak fishing are...

Kayak Bass Fishing - http://www.kayakbassfishing.com

and

FishGator Freshwater Kayak Fishing - http://www.FishGator.com

Good luck!

-Paul
Old 02-06-10, 11:06 AM   #5
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Depending on what type of vehicle you're gonna haul it with, you might wanna check out a Sun Dolphin or Bass Hunter boat.
I fish out of a Sun Dolphin and carry it in the back of a mini van.
I have a 2004 Dodge Durango and we also have a 10' popup camper... so for fishing alone I can haul it on top of the Durango... or when we go camping, I can strap it down on top of the camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDaksi View Post
I'm a kayak fishing nut and highly recommend a fishing kayak. They are much more stable than canoes and much easier to fish by yourself. I've tipped over in canoes more times than I could count, but in my 6 plus years of fishing from a fishing kayak, I've never tipped over.
<snip>

and

Good luck!

-Paul
Thank you for all the information Paul, I really appreciate it.

I got a response from my CL ad for a used 14' kayak for $225 including paddle and will hopefully go look at it later today or tomorrow. In my case since I am 6'5" 220 lbs., I would have a higher center of gravity so more likely to tip in canoe, I think the longer kayak will work better for me... even if I have to drill a few holes for fishing rods
A positive about having a canoe is I could take my oldest (and eventually my youngest) daughter(s) out on the water too (unless this 14' I found is a 2 person)... I will look over the sites you mentioned, thanks again!
Old 02-09-10, 03:51 PM   #6
screwballl

Well after all was said and done, the people with kayaks either sold them already or I get no response to email or phone calls... so I went with the next best deal: a solid clean 14' canoe with oars and padded seats for $100, will be picking it up this evening.

Now once I get it, I will have to decide if I want to repaint the bottom since it will be used for fishing... maybe get a few shades of green (as in camo pattern) to make it look like the floating plants we have in some of the local ponds???

Ideas anyone?
Old 02-09-10, 04:02 PM   #7
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I always painted my boats in green camo, but recently, I had an idea....

Why is it we paint camo from our perspective (reflecting trees and brush?)

The bass have eyes on the top of their head, so if we really wanted to camo our boats we should paint a pattern of battleship grey with some blue rivulets, like the sky looking up through the waves....I think...
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 04:22 PM   #8
screwballl

My line of thinking is that no matter what the weather, the boat would appear as a big dark spot against a (usually) light sky, which is why I figured the hydrilla/plant appearance should work more to my advantage and more natural to fish (as long as I am not quickly moving).
Look at images and movies taken underwater, even on cloudy days, a plant on the surface would seem least invasive to a fish, when compared to a big yellow, red, green,. silver, grey or whatever boat...

but thats just my perspective
Old 02-09-10, 04:30 PM   #9
Crank-Bait-Frank

This Mad River canoe is what the Mrs. and I fish from at a local river. It weighs 75lbs and I can easily throw the canoe into the back of my Tundra.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-10, 08:51 PM   #10
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
They are much more stable than canoes and much easier to fish by yourself. I've tipped over in canoes more times than I could count, but in my 6 plus years of fishing from a fishing kayak, I've never tipped over.
I've fished from a canoe for three full seasons and haven't tipped over once. Using common sense and a canoe suitable for fishing and they're not nearly as risky as you make them sound.

Having never fished from a kayak, I can't make a personal comparison. But I know lots of folks enjoy fishing in them and I see more kayaks than canoes out there.

Nevertheless, based on what my wants and needs are, a canoe is the only boat for me and I feel perfectly safe in it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 03:53 PM   #11
screwballl

Well I finally got my Canoe...

14' banana

Not sure of the make, the sticker had been painted over... and with the chance for Florida snow coming Fri morning and the flooding rivers means water will not be warm/safe enough for several weeks
Old 02-10-10, 08:17 PM   #12
MeanMouth
BassFishin.Com Member

I wouldn't mind trying it out, especially in one of those new Hobie's
MeanMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 09:17 PM   #13
BlueDaksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Well I finally got my Canoe...

14' banana

Not sure of the make, the sticker had been painted over... and with the chance for Florida snow coming Fri morning and the flooding rivers means water will not be warm/safe enough for several weeks
Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 02-11-10, 06:41 PM   #14
Knot Right
BassFishin.Com Member

If you want a good compromise between a canoe and a kayak, there are several hybrids on the market that combine the best features of both. The most reason (and best in my opinion) addition to this style of paddlecraft is the Wilderness Systems Commander 120.
Chad
Knot Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 01:41 PM   #15
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDaksi View Post
Kayakfishingstuff went out of business last month. I'm a kayak fishing nut and highly recommend a fishing kayak. They are much more stable than canoes and much easier to fish by yourself. I've tipped over in canoes more times than I could count, but in my 6 plus years of fishing from a fishing kayak, I've never tipped over.

Kayak fishing is the fastest growing sector of the sport fishing industry and the manufacturers have really started catering to us anglers. There are many specialized models to choose from many manufacturers. There are two basic types, sit-insides (more traditional style of kayak), and sit-on-tops. The sit-insides are great for ponds, small lakes, and calm creeks and rivers because they are usually a bit lighter and paddle easier. The sit-on-tops can go where the sit-insides, but are a bit heavier - the tradeoff comes with increased stability and they can be taken out on rougher water because if water comes over the deck, it drains right back out through scupper holes.

If you are an average sized person and plan on fishing only calm quiet water, you can do with a 9'-10' sit-inside recreational kayak ($200-$500 new). However, if you are bigger in size and/or want to go everywhere the big boats go, you should get a 12'-15' sit-on-top ($500-$1500 new). You can find used kayaks here and there, but don't expect a huge savings over new, but who knows - you can always find a deal if you look hard enough.

Here's my battle cruiser...

You can find a review of my kayak right here on Bassfishin.com too - http://www.bassfishin.com/bass-boats...tealth-14-155/

and

Good luck!

-Paul
Nice rig!
I was thinking of getting into kayak fishing to hit up some of the farm ponds in my area that I'm not able to get my boat into. I've used a buddies kayak at his lake home and it was a blast, especially fly fishing the pads.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:25 PM   #16
tarpon120

I personaly have 4 wilderness systems, all tarpons 2- 120 and 2 -100's. I also have two flat bottoms and in the process of purchasing a Triton tr-18. I love my yaks and have acessorized all for fishing. My wife and two sons are avid fisherman. We use the kayaks everywhere, rivers, lakes and have even used in Mobile bay. I would recomend that all avid fisherman try this type of fishing at least once.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:43 AM   #17
screwballl

I finally got my canoe wet this past weekend (Feb 28) at a local 65 acre lake. No fish as they are deep and still not biting but it was nice to get out on the water.
Old 03-08-10, 10:01 AM   #18
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just purchased a Ganoe to add to my livery. I now have two canoes three kayaks and a Ganoe.. at my summer house.

My buddy has one and you can stand up in it and fish.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.