Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-07, 04:26 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Aluminum Boat , Sharkhide Question

I got an 88 Basstracker , that looks like nobody every wiped it down after it is was in water. I am thinking about getting http://www.sharkhide.com/ aluminum cleaner , however it says it turns it off white. Should a guy just leave it like that , or use their polish and turn it chrome ( Im thinking not , for many reasons, glare the biggest one. ) help here appreciated.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 04:28 PM   #2
CMorg

http://www.sharkhide.com/sharkhide_cleaner.htm check this link out , it says you can polish , or apply the protectant , would the protectant make some of the white go away ?
Old 04-08-07, 07:53 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used a scraper, sandpaper, and Scrubbing bubbles, with elbow grease. I got most of it off. Just keep cleaning it with the scrubbing bubbles and it will take some time, but will clean up. Carefull with the sandpaper, actually don't tell anyone, but I also used a wire wheel on my drill. But if you try this be extremly careful, it can damage the boat if not done lightly. My boat looked like it was in a dungeon for 2 years, with all the muck. It still isn't perfect by any means but it is 1,000,000% better than when I got it.

Lizards
Old 04-08-07, 08:13 PM   #4
zooker

lizard
ya mean you removed some mud?? must have been when you pull a certain some one off that stump..

zooker
Old 04-08-07, 10:04 PM   #5
Rebbasser

CMorg, the best cleaner I have ever used is Simple Green I got at WalMart. Not sure what is in the stuff, but it cleans just about everything better than anything else I have used. I'd give that a try first.
Old 04-08-07, 10:26 PM   #6
CMorg

Fantastic , thanks guys. Also , maybe a stupid question , but how can I get the boat off the trailer to clean the boat , and repaint the trailer , as well as recarpet the bunks ?
Old 04-09-07, 07:52 AM   #7
bfd300
BassFishin.Com Active Member

crank the tongue jack all the way down.......put concrete blocks onder the transom.....crank tongue jack all the way up........the transon should now be off the trailer.......slowlt pull trailer out from under the boat,when you get about 2/3rds of trailer from under the boat place concrete blocks under the keel.....remove the rest of trailer.....thats how i do it

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:19 PM   #8
CMorg

Well alrighty then... sounds like that would work. Thanks.
Old 04-09-07, 08:53 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Actually I used Steel Sawhorses for Mine, and a Hydraulic jack, but anyway you can will work. Just make sure it's stable, you don't want to be trying to pick up the boat, even though they are Aluminum, they are very heavy, trust me, been there done that.

Lizards
Old 04-12-07, 03:26 PM   #10
flfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
lizard
ya mean you removed some mud?? must have been when you pull a certain some one off that stump..

zooker
The only mud he got was from a famed and very rare Fl largemouth mud spitter bass. Covered him pretty good if I recall. I use oven off to clean my boat. Use the self cleaning oven one.
Old 04-12-07, 05:09 PM   #11
CMorg

I wondered about oven off , I used that once to remove anodizing off aluminum , if it can remove that , it can remove anything....
Old 04-12-07, 09:03 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
The only mud he got was from a famed and very rare Fl largemouth mud spitter bass. Covered him pretty good if I recall. I use oven off to clean my boat. Use the self cleaning oven one.
ROTFLMAO I remember that stinking bass vividly Never had I had, or have I since had a bass spit up mud all over me, and it was still fun

Lizards
Old 04-19-07, 02:44 PM   #13
PA Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

I've heard about some stuff called AlumaGuard It was on BPS tip, but I haven't been able to find any. Anyone else know about AlumaGuard?
PA Basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 08:29 PM   #14
Jackl

CMORG,
If there is a truck wash in your area that specializes in 18 wheelers, check and see if they have an acid wash for renewing the aluminum on semi-trailers. There are several around this area and will clean the cow crap off the bull haulers and make them shine like a new dime.

JackL
Old 04-21-07, 09:36 PM   #15
flfireman

Alumagaurd works good for polished aluminum. Not sure about for this setting. We use it on the T top on the fireboat.
Old 04-23-07, 04:01 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Alumagaurd works good for polished aluminum. Not sure about for this setting. We use it on the T top on the fireboat.

UM, wouldn't you just need a pump and a regular boat LOL. I mean I don't mind my tax dollars being spent for helping save lives, and such, but a "FIRE BOAT" I guess I need a explanation for this one please

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.