Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-11-09, 12:43 AM   #26
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My buddy was having the same problem as you are describing with 12lb or 10lb Trilene XL Monofiliment and we found that it was just too big for his reel so after switching to 8lb test no problems whatsoever. It may be that your reel just doesn't like the thicker Mono on there. Try some 8lb and play with your drag, you should be able to land most fish out there besides Basszilla.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 03:15 AM   #27
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I don't know if my reel is considered a 4000 series or not.....its a BPS MegaTournament series model MT30FB....any idea?

In Shimano terms, the reel you have is most likely a 3000 sized reel. I think the crux of your problem is not mono in an of itself, but the size of mono you are using.

As already mentioned, a 4000 sized spinning reel is more suited to line that size. As a rule of thumb, for "bass sized" spinning reels, choosing line greater than 10# test greatly increases the potential for trouble as you have described. You can bump down to 10# and that will likely reduce your troubles or use 20 or 30# braid.

20# braid has a diameter roughly equal to 6# mono and 30# braid, 8# mono. This should greatly increase your manageability. However, this will change things. Braid, unlike mono is opaque. If you are fishing ultra clear waters, it might affect your strikes and catches such that you might want to consider using a mono or fluro leader. Just consider it if and only if you start to note a reduction in strikes.

Also, a 30 sized reel is going to hold a ton of braid in 20 or 30# test. Matter of fact, you are probably going to be able to put the entire typical 150 yd spool of braid onto your spool and it won't even be close to filling it. Fill the first 50% of the reel with mono about the same diameter (my choice), then join it to your braid to fill up the rest of the spool. This will help to keep the spool at optimum capacity and maximize the use of all of your braid.

When your braid gets low, simply retie to the mono base. If you went 100% braid, that would:

1) Be quite expensive and you would still need to join the braid
2) The braid on the bottom half of the spool will never ever see battle nor the light of day and therefore never be used. And that is a waste of $$.

You might want to try Sufix Mono, siege or elite in 10# first and see if the 12# mono due to its size was your culprit. I think it was. If you can get away with it, 20 or 30# braid will probably serve you well.
Old 04-11-09, 08:41 AM   #28
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I looked on BPS's website and the size of their spinning reels does follow the standard. The only ones I know of that don't are Pflueger spinning reels. Other than that, a 2000 size reel will be fairly similar throughout a number of brands.

Like IB said, use backing on the reel (I buy whatever's in the bargain pin or the cheapest you can find) But you may want to try 8lb test before going to braid because that's about the max I'll use on a spinning reel.

BB
Old 05-27-09, 06:41 PM   #29
pawpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

I was just browsing and saw this post. I have given up on mono for my spinning reel long ago because of the reasons you mentioned. Like Fishing Fanatic said earlier, 20 lb. braid works great for me. I have used Power Pro as well as Suffex and I like the Suffex much better. It has one more strand of braid than the Power Pro and is much smoother going through the guides. It also last so much longer than mono. If fishing clear water, you might want to think about using a leader though. I have noticed when fishing clear water it will make a difference if you are fishing slow plastics baits. I mostly fish in rivers, so I use a 20lb. fluoro leader. The braid cast much farther too.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 07:34 PM   #30
bamabassman

pawpaw, i just done the same thing for my wifes spining reel. 20# power pro braid. no more line twist, works great.
Old 05-27-09, 11:00 PM   #31
nofearengineer

I'm puzzled by all of this "line twist" stuff. I use 12lb Stren Lo-vis Green Mono...and I will only very occasionally get a stray loop, which just comes out on the next cast. When you need more slack, are you pulling it out with the drag? Or do you open the bail and let the lure fall? I'm assuming everyone here knows not to crank on a fish while he's pulling line out, on a spinning reel at least. As a last resort, tie on a casting bubble on a barrel swivel and let er rip...a few casts with that and you're good as new.

By the way...braid doesn't stop line twist. It's still happeneing...just that the braid is much less susceptible to the rat's nest. But it will eventually do it, and it will be gloriously nasty when it does...way worse than mono.
Old 05-28-09, 04:26 AM   #32
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm puzzled by all of this "line twist" stuff. I use 12lb Stren Lo-vis Green Mono...and I will only very occasionally get a stray loop, which just comes out on the next cast. When you need more slack, are you pulling it out with the drag? Or do you open the bail and let the lure fall? I'm assuming everyone here knows not to crank on a fish while he's pulling line out, on a spinning reel at least. As a last resort, tie on a casting bubble on a barrel swivel and let er rip...a few casts with that and you're good as new.

By the way...braid doesn't stop line twist. It's still happeneing...just that the braid is much less susceptible to the rat's nest. But it will eventually do it, and it will be gloriously nasty when it does...way worse than mono.
Agreed, but 12 lb or higher is more likely to show the memory due to the thicker diameter, meaning that the long side(or outside) of the loop is in tension and the short side(or inside) of the loop is in compression, which will eventually make the line set in that manner, this effect is decreased by thin diameter line due to the decreased difference per length of line in the inside and outside diameter of the loop(around the spool in all cases). All tension and compression is relative to the static tension about the centroidal axis of the line.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 06:35 AM   #33
George_Welcome

30# braid is rated at a 8# diameter. Don't spool the entire reel with braid. Use a light mono for the first 25-50%.
Old 05-28-09, 09:03 AM   #34
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Braid is great especially if you want to get your lure back.I pulled in a log just to get my crankbait back.I like power pro.I usually get 50 pound witch is 12 pound diameter so it does'nt dig into itself.It will change color but just use a marker to color it.My braid last long time don't have to change like mono.Ends up paying for itself.I use waterproof medical tape to put it on my reel to keep it from slipping around.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 09:32 AM   #35
BigBassin144

I definately would never put that heavy of a line on a spinning reel. I'd never go over 20lb braid or 10lb mono.

BB
Old 05-28-09, 02:37 PM   #36
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I definately would never put that heavy of a line on a spinning reel. I'd never go over 20lb braid or 10lb mono.

BB
Agreed, most definitely for bass that is.
Old 05-28-09, 03:17 PM   #37
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been doing it for years .I havn't had no problems with it.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 05:20 PM   #38
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I have zero problems with birds nests when it comes to mono and spinning reels since I switched to Trilene XL Smooth Casting.
Common occurence when I used Cajun Line though
Old 05-28-09, 06:20 PM   #39
BigBassin144

Trilene has got to be the worst line I've tried when it comes to line twist and memory. And Original Stren has gotten worse and worse lately. Now, about the only mono lines I use are Stren Super Knot and Sufix Elite.

BB
Old 05-28-09, 06:28 PM   #40
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Trilene has got to be the worst line I've tried when it comes to line twist and memory. And Original Stren has gotten worse and worse lately. Now, about the only mono lines I use are Stren Super Knot and Sufix Elite.

BB
Sufix elite is great, so long as it is new, if it has been on the spool (the one from the store) for more than about 1/2 a year then it gets stiff and develops memory very quickly! I like trilene max for mono, but other than that I hate trilene.
Old 05-28-09, 10:36 PM   #41
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I switched from 8lb to 12lb today and had way fewer problems. However, I still had issues with memory, which caused it to tangle. Im thinking of switching to braid too.
Old 05-29-09, 04:38 AM   #42
BassinID

I don't know If I would give up on mono yet cakalaki girl, there are lots of good companies out there and I think that the 8 lb range is great for fishing with spinning gear. If you don't use your gear often it can develop memory more quickly, and the age of the line you put on it has some effects as well. IMO it is just better to start with mono or maybe flouro, based on the invisibility in water and the ease of tying on different rigs, plus, you don't have to worry about tip tangles or slipping knots.
Old 05-29-09, 09:10 AM   #43
Captmikestarrett

0.09 = 1.lb / 0.10 = 1.5 lb. / 0.12 = 2.lb / 0.13 = 2.5 LB / 0.14 = 3.lb / 0.15 = 3.5.lb /
0.16 = 4.lb / 0.17 = 4.5.lb / 0.18 = 5. lb. / 0.19 = 5.5 lb. / 0.20 = 6.lb

These are for mono. I submit that there are three factors on mono selection for spinning reels.

1. diameter?
2. Do you close the bail with the handle or manually?
3. Is the line spooled label side up?

Capt Mike
Old 05-29-09, 11:26 AM   #44
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I don't know If I would give up on mono yet cakalaki girl, there are lots of good companies out there and I think that the 8 lb range is great for fishing with spinning gear. If you don't use your gear often it can develop memory more quickly, and the age of the line you put on it has some effects as well. IMO it is just better to start with mono or maybe flouro, based on the invisibility in water and the ease of tying on different rigs, plus, you don't have to worry about tip tangles or slipping knots.
I just got the line. I put it on the night before, so it wasnt cause it hadnt been used in a while. I think it was mostly because it was so thin.
Old 05-29-09, 11:53 AM   #45
MississippiBoy

Since you just put it on, the problem may be twist in the line. Grab the line, and walk with it till the spool is almost empty. Go back to the rod and reel it back in, with nothing tied on. That'll get the twists out, but you may need to do this a couple times. This has helped me several times.
Old 05-29-09, 12:50 PM   #46
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Since you just put it on, the problem may be twist in the line. Grab the line, and walk with it till the spool is almost empty. Go back to the rod and reel it back in, with nothing tied on. That'll get the twists out, but you may need to do this a couple times. This has helped me several times.

I took my pocket knife and cut it right down the reel and pulled it off. Then I put on some 12 and had WAAAAAAAAAY fewer problems yesterday.
Old 05-29-09, 01:07 PM   #47
jcw1503

A few weekends ago I switched my spinning real from 8 pound flouro. BPS XPS to the new 8 pound berkley fireline crystal. Man what can i say. It is by far the best line I have ever used on a spinning reel. It is stronger than some 20lb. braid I have used and it is as clear if not clearer than most fluro. My buddy and I put the line down in water and you could see his alot more than mine and he had 6 pound flouro. ANd talk about sensitivity. I usually feel bites but it got crazy. I was feeling the tiniest bites. It is the most accurate line I have tried and there is no memory.

When you look at it out of water it is as white as snow but when it gets into water it is amazing.

My friend can usually feel the bites better than me but I was killing him. SO he casted to a spot 2 times and nothing. I let him borrow my reel and the first cast at that spot he felt a tiny nibble, set the hook and bam a 2.5 pounder. He tried to steal it because he liked it so much.

Then I wrapped it around a limb skipping it and thought I was going to have to cut the line. NOPE, I broke the limb and thats with 8 lb. line.

It is a little expensive but it is worth the money!!!!
Old 05-29-09, 01:08 PM   #48
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
I took my pocket knife and cut it right down the reel and pulled it off. Then I put on some 12 and had WAAAAAAAAAY fewer problems yesterday.
The memory thing will still creep up on ya though , you could get a line conditioner as spray the line before and after ya fish and that will help with the memory a lot .

Jim
Old 05-29-09, 01:36 PM   #49
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I have zero problems with birds nests when it comes to mono and spinning reels since I switched to Trilene XL Smooth Casting.
Common occurence when I used Cajun Line though
Same here, I use Trilene XL SC 12# test on my spinner and haven't had any problems since I switched from Spiderwire (it was a gift) I would never buy anything Spiderwire, that stuff gave me so many troubles.
Now I got a 1000yrd spool of P-Line CX Flouro 25# thinking about trying that out on my BC.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 10:23 AM   #50
keithdog

I've been using Power Pro on my spinning gear for two years now and I'll never regret it. It's work out fantastic. I use 20 pound braid which I think is like 8 pound mono diameter wise. Works great. I just dial back on my drag a bit since their is no line stretch. As for braided lines being more expensive, I disagree. Using mono I would respool 2 - 3 times a year depending on how much fishing I did that year. However, you can easily get three years out of one spooling of braided line.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.